100% Brett B (Wyeast 5112) Beer
  • morsmors
    So I needed to pitch some brett into a few beers to use it as a secondary yeast strain. I made a 2L starter....decanted and stepped it up to another 2L starter. So now I have a ton of brett. Going to pour some off (low amount to stress it on purpose) in both an Orval-like beer and a berliner weiss. The rest I was thinking I would try a 100% brett beer with. Any ideas on what base 'styles' would be best for this? I'm not even sure if this yeast will attenuate fully if used as a primary strain. I keep seeing mixed opinions on it online. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
    BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
    Cicerone Certified Beer Server
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    brett b acts just like your average sacc strains when used by itself as far as attenuation goes.

I've done a couple all brett b ales and they turned out nice and funky. my personal preference for it is an amber/brown ale. Keep the ibu's on the lower end of the style as higher bitterness doesn't mesh too well with all the funky flavors. I like the carb level a tiny bit higher than the average 2.5 volumes.

Time is the real key to brett b. It can be done fermenting and carbonated in 6 weeks, but the flavor really needs time to come through. I suggest bottling these, as the yeast continues to alter/refine the flavor profile over time.

Try a bottle three weeks after you bottle and another ten weeks after. You'll have a drastic change in flavor. My beers reached their peak at around 3 months in the bottle, after primary for a month or two.

BenS
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • BenSBenS
    I completely agree with FZ. I've only done one all Brett B beer and so I'm sure that FZ's opinions are more educated than mine but I experienced the same thing he did. I made a simple blond ale, 1.050 SG 25 IBUs. It was done with primary fermentation after 2-3 weeks but I left it for 2 months in primary to clear and then kegged. It was fantastic, I highly recommend trying it for yourself.

EDIT. Forgot to mention that I fermented 65-70F (closet space in the spring)
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I heard an interview from Flat tail brewing, they had a bunch of Brett beers and at least one was all Brett I think. Might give you a style idea.
  • morsmors
    Thanks guys. Hopefully I get to brew in teh next week... Judging a competition all weekend long so won't be this weekend :(
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • BenSBenS
    mors said:

Thanks guys. Hopefully I get to brew in teh next week... Judging a competition all weekend long so won't be this weekend :(

Bluebonnet?
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • morsmors
    Homebrew at the WEB (world expo of beer).
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • morsmors
    Also my Brett beer got put on hold... Idea popped in my head and I couldn't shake it... Maybe next brew day.
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • BenSBenS
    I am doing a brett beer on my next brewday as well. LHBS has bags of 2row for $36 and fresh brett L and C from white labs in stock. 10 gal batch split I think for next sat.