Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
brew tech development
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    This discussion was created from comments split
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • BenSBenS

I have thought about doing something similar to brewtroller but with more personalized customization and a complete brewing package instead of the open platform they operate on.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    I'm interested in BCS/Brewtroller type stuff. I hope to build a simple something for myself if I ever figure out which first step is in the correct direction.
    Sign here______________________________
    I have a laptop that is basically disposable. It's a pretty weak old dell but I'm hoping it will work. It is stripped clean running XP now. I'd have no qualms killing that and running Linux if needed and I got some know how.
    There has to be some sort of interface between the pc and the switches? What would that be?
    This probably sounds like a middle schooler asking Van Gogh how to sharpen a pencil.
  • BenSBenS

I have a laptop that is basically disposable. It's a pretty weak old dell but I'm hoping it will work. It is stripped clean running XP now. I'd have no qualms killing that and running Linux if needed and I got some know how.

You really wouldn't need to change the OS. Just need a usb powered micro-controller or printed circuit board(PCB) with input/output pins(I/O) to control your heat, pumps, etc.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • BenSBenS

There has to be some sort of interface between the pc and the switches? What would that be?

This probably sounds like a middle schooler asking Van Gogh how to sharpen a pencil.

Nah. You're good. You're exactly right, the interface is a micro-controller or a I/O PCB.
  • BenSBenS
    Mine operates using a micro-controller so I don't have to have a computer hooked up to it to operate. A PCB would, not a big deal though if you have an extra computer. Just depends on what you want.
    And I'd have to program? Or what software is out there?
  • BenSBenS
    Think of a micro-controller as a computer that sends signals to physical things to make them turn on/off how you want them to. Pretty simple right?
  • BenSBenS

And I'd have to program? Or what software is out there?

You would have to program or you could have someone make you a program if you tell them what you want to do, and what equipment you want/have to use.
    I need to get serious on this and actually do some research. Hell, just getting a good start on my RIMS/HERMS would be nice.
  • BenSBenS

I need to get serious on this and actually do some research. Hell, just getting a good start on my RIMS/HERMS would be nice.

It's easier than you think. Once I polish up my code and equipment, I plan on posting it all up here as a sample/tutorial.
  • BenSBenS

In many ways, automating your brewing is easier than making a RIMS/HERMS and makes it much more reliable.
    BenS said:

Think of a micro-controller as a computer that sends signals to physical things to make them turn on/off how you want them to. Pretty simple right?

I've got that much. Like my STC-1000s or MYPIN TA-7. You have an example of a multi-out unit?
  • BenSBenS

BenS said:

I've got that much. Like my STC-1000s or MYPIN TA-7. You have an example of a multi-out unit?

Every hobbyist micro-controller I've run across has multiple out pins, many have analog outs and digital outs. Arduino, raspberry pi, TI stellaris, etc.
    Ok, I've looked at the Arduino stuff. I didnt think about that for brewing. Makes sense. Order from Sparkfun? I've read about counterfeit junk going out from eBay and such.
    I guess I'm confused as to how something like Arduino would be easier than a pre built PID for controlling mash temp and other simple operations. I understand when you get into powering valves and pumps to come on and go off by timers or sensors is a whole different ball game.
  • BenSBenS

Ok, I've looked at the Arduino stuff. I didnt think about that for brewing. Makes sense. Order from Sparkfun? I've read about counterfeit junk going out from eBay and such.

I use adafruit.com because their tutorials for all their parts are amazing. I've also bought components from amazon because of my free shipping. I'm sure sparkfun is a great supplier as well. The only place you will find counterfeit stuff is on amazon and ebay so know what you're looking at. I am using an Arduino Uno in my current setup.
  • BenSBenS

I guess I'm confused as to how something like Arduino would be easier than a pre built PID for controlling mash temp and other simple operations. I understand when you get into powering valves and pumps to come on and go off by timers or sensors is a whole different ball game.

Well, it's not going to be easier. But you can program as many PIDs as you want into the arduino (mash, hlt, boil) and not have to buy a seperate unit for each one.
    Ok. They have a load of different official suppliers. It's hard to pick one out of a list of 30 or more.
  • BenSBenS
    If you're really interested jeep, give me a couple weeks to write a tutorial and I'll post it up here so you can see what you'd be getting into.
    BenS said:

Well, it's not going to be easier. But you can program as many PIDs as you want into the arduino (mash, hlt, boil) and not have to buy a seperate unit for each one.

Ah, that makes sense.
    BenS said:

If you're really interested jeep, give me a couple weeks to write a tutorial and I'll post it up here so you can see what you'd be getting into.

Right on. Maybe I'll pick up an Arduino in the meantime. It's something I've wanted to play with anyway.
  • BenSBenS

BenS said:

Right on. Maybe I'll pick up an Arduino in the meantime. It's something I've wanted to play with anyway.

If you're interested I would suggest it. They are fun to play with. You can find them (non-counterfeit) on amazon for $20 (Uno)