Help me design a Pale Ale for these hops.
  • C_BC_B
    Centennial 8.0% 2.3oz, Palisade 7.3% 1.7oz - combined in one package.
    Palisade 7.3% 1.0oz, Cascade (U.S.) 5.4% 1.0oz -combined.
    Cascade (U.S.) 5.4% 0.5oz, Mt. hood 5.2% 0.5oz - combined.

So I received a 5 gallon extract kit with these hops plus some more Palisade and a pile of DME and some specialty grains that I haven't figured out yet. I don't want to do the kit as it was intended for a couple reasons.
    I'd like to turn it into a (or a couple) 10 gallon partial mash using my 5 gallon MLT to mash speciality grains and as much base malt as I can (max out the MLT at 15 lbs), making up the difference with DME.
    I'd like something in the sessionable IPA area. Not epic big. Maybe 5%-6% and not face punch hoppy. I've been drinking SN Torpedo lately and love it's balance. Enough bitter and aroma without the heavy, thick feel of something like arrogant bastard. Also, I assume I'll have to fill in the blanks with new ingredients.
    Thoughts?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    this is your 60 minute addition

use this at 20 minutes

use this at 5 minutes

dry hop with the extra palisade you talked about.

pair it with maybe 7 or 8 pounds of DME and a half pound of 10L and half pound of victory for your specialty grains.

that'll do ya.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    oh and use S-05
  • jlwjlw
    I agree with Fry above. Two other options:
    1. Can you FWH a partial mash? If so you could consider moving either the Mt. Hood or the Cascade to FWH to bump up the IBU's.
    2. Also, starting at the 20 min addition you could spread out your additions in 5 min increments. I persoanlly like late additions for the flavor and aroma you get.
  • jlwjlw

oh and use S-05

S-05 is becoming my go to yeast for a lot of my beers and especially IPA's It's clean, cheaper than liquid and you don't need a starter for gravities under ~1.090. Even above that you are probably safe to just re-hydrate and pitch.
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

oh and use S-05

S-05 is becoming my go to yeast for a lot of my beers and especially IPA's It's clean, cheaper than liquid and you don't need a starter for gravities under ~1.090. Even above that you are probably safe to just re-hydrate and pitch.

I use S-05 a lot. .. several folks have been fooled unto thinking that brews made with it were lagers ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    But I like S-04 for IPAs... the fruitiness really goes well with an aggressive hop profile
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh.... yes you can FWH a partial mash .... let the hops steep for 20 minutes or so in the runnings before the boil
  • C_BC_B

use this at 20 minutes

use this at 5 minutes

pair it with maybe 7 or 8 pounds of DME and a half pound of 10L and half pound of victory for your specialty grains.

that'll do ya.

For a 10 gallon batch?
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

I agree with Fry above. Two other options:
    1. Can you FWH a partial mash? If so you could consider moving either the Mt. Hood or the Cascade to FWH to bump up the IBU's.
    2. Also, starting at the 20 min addition you could spread out your additions in 5 min increments. I persoanlly like late additions for the flavor and aroma you get.

1) yes. I'm still going to mash ~15 pounds of grain. I'll just use the DME to fill in.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    CB said:

use this at 20 minutes

use this at 5 minutes

that'll do ya.

For a 10 gallon batch?

hell no son, you said you wanted an ipa.
  • C_BC_B

CB said:

use this at 20 minutes

use this at 5 minutes

that'll do ya.

For a 10 gallon batch?

hell no son, you said you wanted an ipa.

Ha, I thought as much. I want to make a 10 gallon batch, so I have some scaling to do.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    you need to go buy more hops
  • C_BC_B

you need to go buy more hops

I expected as much. What and how many is what I'm driving for.
  • C_BC_B
    I'll punch this in to hopville or something later tonight and put together an actual recipe.
  • ThymThym
    You should have enough palisade to bump up each addition to 10 gallon levels.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

I just weighted the extra Palisade. There is 6+ oz there.

• ThymThym
    CB said:

Lakewood said:

You should definitely put all of that in.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

CB said:

Lakewood said:

You should definitely put all of that in.

ayup
  • C_BC_B
    @Lakewood Any idea what the 14 oz of crushed grain in this it is?
  • ThymThym
    CB said:

@Lakewood Any idea what the 14 oz of crushed grain in this it is?

it's all of the specialty grains from the wicked angel recipe. The DME covers the base malt from the posted recipe.
  • ThymThym
    @CB
    from the 10Gal recipe...

Carastan (Crystal), 15 1.5 6%
    Wheat Malt (GWM) 0.25 1%

you can ratio the amounts, but basically it's Crystal 15 with a touch of Wheat.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

@CB
    from the 10Gal recipe...

Carastan (Crystal), 15 1.5 6%
    Wheat Malt (GWM) 0.25 1%

you can ratio the amounts, but basically it's Crystal 15 with a touch of Wheat.

I'll assume it is scaled to that ratio.
  • C_BC_B
    Specific Gravity
    1.064 OG
    (1.057 to 1.067)
    15.7° Plato
    1.017 FG
    (1.015 to 1.018)
    4.3° Plato
    Color
    6° SRM
    11° EBC
    Yellow to Gold

Malt & Fermentables
    % LB OZ °L
    67% 14 ~ Great Western Premium 2-Row Malt
    29% 6 ~ Briess DME Golden Light
    3% ~ 10 Crystal 15L
    1% ~ 4 Wheat Malt

Hops
    Usage Time OZ AA » IBU
    FWH 20 min ½ Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 3.6
    FWH 20 min ½ Mt. Hood ~ pellet 6.0 » 4.0
    boil 25 min 1 Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 8.3
    boil 25 min 1 Palisades ~ pellet 7.3 » 11.1
    boil 5 min 2 ¼ Centennial ~ pellet 8.0 » 7.8
    boil 5 min 1 ¾ Palisades ~ pellet 7.3 » 5.6

Bitterness
    40.4 IBU
    ƒ: Tinseth
    0 HBU

Yeast
    Safale US-05 Dry Yeast
    yeast in dry form with low to medium flocculation and 73% attenuation

Alcohol
    6.3% ABV
    5.0% ABW

Calories
    per 12 oz.

As you hop heads look at this and cringe for the lack of hops, remember I want an easy drinking low-mid hopped IPA (because I'm not a hop head). I still have 6oz of Palisades I could add in here anywhere or dry hop with.
    Should I add more Palisades to the FWH? If I do that do I need to add a balanced amount of Mt. Hood to the FWH?
    Should I get a different hop to Dry Hop?
    Will this be weak?
    Thoughts?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i am fighting the urge to fly off on my rant about things like "session IPA's" and crap like that.

bottom line, 40 IBU's is not an IPA. it looks like you're making a good old generic pale ale. nothing wrong with that, but its not an IPA.

with the notoriety of "IPA" the past several years, it is being tacked onto way too many beer styles, making it a serious pain in my ass when i am purchase IPA's at a bar or store to try a new one and find out its a weakly hopped pale or something.

*pretty proud of this, although it looks like a rant, i held back greatly! yay!
  • ThymThym

i am fighting the urge to fly off on my rant about things like "session IPA's" and crap like that.

bottom line, 40 IBU's is not an IPA. it looks like you're making a good old generic pale ale. nothing wrong with that, but its not an IPA.

with the notoriety of "IPA" the past several years, it is being tacked onto way too many beer styles, making it a serious pain in my ass when i am purchase IPA's at a bar or store to try a new one and find out its a weakly hopped pale or something.

While Fry is obviously way too emotional about the subject, he's right, this is just a pale ale or blonde. But there's nothing wrong with that. Enjoy.
  • jlwjlw
    One thing I would add is a flame out addition. Throw some of that palisade in when you shut the boil off an let is steep for 30 min. No bitterness but you will get great aroma and some flava flav
  • ThymThym
    Or just dry hop the whole 6
  • C_BC_B

Ah. You are correct. I am definitely guilty of calling anything that has more hops than malt an IPA. I have corrected the title to reflect this.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

One thing I would add is a flame out addition. Throw some of that palisade in when you shut the boil off an let is steep for 30 min. No bitterness but you will get great aroma and some flava flav

Lakewood said:

What is more shelf stable? I'm thinking about dry hopping one bucket as soon as the beer is done but waiting a month to dry hop the other bucket so it is closer to the time I'll actually drink the second half of the batch.
  • C_BC_B
    CB said:

I still have 6oz of Palisades I could add in here anywhere or dry hop with.
    If I add more Palisades to the FWH, do I need to add a balanced amount of Mt. Hood to the FWH?
    Thoughts?

These things where not answered after Fry's rant.
  • ThymThym
    CB said:

CB said:

If I add more Palisades to the FWH, do I need to add a balanced amount of Mt. Hood to the FWH?
    Thoughts?

palisade is fine for bumping up the FWH and doing the dry hop. You will lose a touch of complexity by reducing the Mt. Hood ratio, but it's not going to be bad, just different.
  • ThymThym
    CB said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

What is more shelf stable? I'm thinking about dry hopping one bucket as soon as the beer is done but waiting a month to dry hop the other bucket so it is closer to the time I'll actually drink the second half of the batch.

i don't think there is any science out there on whether the flavor/aroma from a flame out addition is more or less stable than the compounds released through dry hoping. i could be wrong there, but i haven't seen it. They result in different flavor/aroma profiles though. with dry hopping being a much more intense aroma punch, while flame out addition will give you more of a flavor boost with a lot less aroma.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

CB said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

i don't think there is any science out there on whether the flavor/aroma from a flame out addition is more or less stable than the compounds released through dry hoping. i could be wrong there, but i haven't seen it. They result in different flavor/aroma profiles though. with dry hopping being a much more intense aroma punch, while flame out addition will give you more of a flavor boost with a lot less aroma.

can you peel off 5 gals then do the flame out addition on the remaining half? shouldn't be too hard.
  • C_BC_B

Lakewood said:

CB said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

can you peel off 5 gals then do the flame out addition on the remaining half? shouldn't be too hard.

Too hard? No. Annoying because I use an IC to chill while recirculating with a pump? Yes.

I'll think on this one though.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

CB said:

CB said:

Thoughts?

palisade is fine for bumping up the FWH and doing the dry hop. You will lose a touch of complexity by reducing the Mt. Hood ratio, but it's not going to be bad, just different.

Hops
    Usage Time OZ AA » IBU
    FWH 20 min 1.5 Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 10.9
    FWH 20 min 1.5 Mt. Hood ~ pellet 6.0 » 11.9
    boil 25 min 1 Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 7.3
    boil 25 min 1 Palisades ~ pellet 7.3 » 9.6
    Flame out 1(??)Palisades(??)
    This calculates to 53.1 IBU.

What's urrybody think about this?
    Should I use Palisade for dry hop or something completely different? Centennial or something...?
  • C_BC_B
    C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

CB said:

CB said:

Thoughts?

Hops
    Usage Time OZ AA » IBU
    FWH 20 min 1.5 Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 10.9
    FWH 20 min 1.5 Mt. Hood ~ pellet 6.0 » 11.9
    boil 25 min 1 Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 7.3
    boil 25 min 1 Palisades ~ pellet 7.3 » 9.6
    Flame out 1(??)Palisades(??)
    This calculates to 53.1 IBU.

What's urrybody think about this?
    Should I use Palisade for dry hop or something completely different? Centennial or something...?

How many oz of Palisades should I use at Flameout?

I'm picking up the stuff for this Friday to brew next week. This is more hops than anything I have brewed yet (other than the WA that I screwed up), so I'm pretty stoked.
  • jlwjlw
    I would add 2 oz at flameout. Make sure you let it rest after you add the flameout hops.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

I would add 2 oz at flameout. Make sure you let it rest after you add the flameout hops.

30 minutes? That's easy enough. Is there any reason not to start the whirlpool then? As it is now (only one brew with a pump) I put the IC in with 15 to go and then start the pump and whirlpool after that, somewhere around 5 to go.
    Now I'm getting all excited...
  • ThymThym
    Is that 30 minutes while chilling or 30 minutes before chilling?
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

Is that 30 minutes while chilling or 30 minutes before chilling?

I guess there are couple different ways to do it. I personally throw them when I shut the flame off and then cover the pot with foil and let them sit for 30 min.

I have also read to throw them in and then chill as quickly as possible.\

I have also read to bring the wort temp down to 180 and then throw them in.

Not sure if there is a right or wrong way with this technique. I guess letting it sit for 30 minutes could create potential issues but I have never had a problem.
  • C_BC_B
    C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

30 minutes? That's easy enough. Is there any reason not to start the whirlpool then? As it is now (only one brew with a pump) I put the IC in with 15 to go and then start the pump and whirlpool after that, somewhere around 5 to go.
    Now I'm getting all excited...

Let me clarify what I meant by this.... Whirlpool, and have the IC in the kettle, but I won't turn on the chilling water until after the 30 minute rest. This should have a really nice whirlpool since the valve will only need to be open a little bit.
  • ThymThym
    I throw them in and chill as quickly as possible. Letting it sit above 180 will isomerize the hops, losing the crispness.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

I throw them in and chill as quickly as possible. Letting it sit above 180 will isomerize the hops, losing the crispness.

this is what i do too, for the same reason.

i have let them sit before, but always ended up with more bitterness than aroma
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

I'll give this try next time.
  • C_BC_B
    Malt & Fermentables

% LB OZ °L PPG
    65% 14 ~ Great Western Premium 2-Row Malt
    28% 6 ~ Briess DME Golden Light
    3% ~ 10 Crystal 15L
    2% ~ 8 Victory Malt
    1% ~ 4 Wheat Malt

Specific Gravity
    1.065 OG
    (1.058 to 1.068)
    15.9° Plato

Hops
    Time OZ AA » IBU
    FWH 1 ½ Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 17.8
    FWH 1 ½ Mt. Hood ~ pellet 6.0 » 19.4
    20 min 1 Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 7.2
    20 min 1 Palisades ~ pellet 7.3 » 9.5
    5 min 2 ¼ Centennial ~ pellet 8.0 » 7.7
    5 min 1 ¾ Palisades ~ pellet 7.3 » 5.5
    Flame out 2 Palisades ~ pellet 7.3 » 0.0

Bitterness
    52.5 IBU

Yeast
    Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

I put the Victory in there when I reread everyone's comments.

• C_BC_B
    Btw, @frydogbrews The BJCP defines an English Pale Ale (ordinary bitter, special bitter and ESB) topping out at 50 IBUs, where American Pale Ales top out at 45 IBU. Both American and English IPAs start at 40 IBUs. That places this recipe solidly in the IPA category. Even without the bumped up FWH hops, it is still in between a Pale Ale and an IPA.
  • jlwjlw
    CB - this looks really good. Curious on what color this is going to turn out to be? What's the SRM?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

Btw, @frydogbrews The BJCP defines an English Pale Ale (ordinary bitter, special bitter and ESB) topping out at 50 IBUs, where American Pale Ales top out at 45 IBU. Both American and English IPAs start at 40 IBUs. That places this recipe solidly in the IPA category. Even without the bumped up FWH hops, it is still in between a Pale Ale and an IPA.

that needs to be updated. there has been a sea change, that what leads to revolution.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

CB - this looks really good. Curious on what color this is going to turn out to be? What's the SRM?

6. I thought it might be a shade darker than that. What do you think about having the Victory and crystal 15? too much?
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

that needs to be updated. there has been a sea change, that what leads to revolution.

Completely agree. What I referenced was the 2008 guidelines. I couldn't find anything newer than that.
  • jlwjlw
    C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

6. I thought it might be a shade darker than that. What do you think about having the Victory and crystal 15? too much?

I think it will be fine. I like dry IPA's and I also like sweet IPA's they both have their place. I think this one will be just fine it only accounts for 5% of the grist.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

I think it will be fine. I like dry IPA's and I also like sweet IPA's they both have their place. I think this one will be just fine it only accounts for 5% of the grist.

Good. I'm leaving it as it then. I already have my shopping list. I'm not sure what I like most, I guess a sweeter IPA? What would Centennial IPA be? Or Southern Tier's 2XIPA?
  • jlwjlw
    C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

Good. I'm leaving it as it then. I already have my shopping list. I'm not sure what I like most, I guess a sweeter IPA? What would Centennial IPA be? Or Southern Tier's 2XIPA?

It's been awhile since I had either of those buit I think they are both on the drier side. I wasn;t very clear in my previous post. I don;t think this will be sweet at all. Just as an example here is the Avery Maharaja Clone:

It uses C120 and some victory.

Boil Size: 6.93 gal
    Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
    Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
    Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.089 SG
    Estimated Color: 10.5 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 90.7 IBUs
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
    Est Mash Efficiency: 92.7 %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt Name Type # %/IBU
    15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 93.8 %
    8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.1 %
    8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.1 %
    4.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
    2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 64.1 IBUs
    2.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
    2.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
    1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 30. Hop 5 26.5 IBUs
    2.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
    2.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
    2.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 8 -
  • jlwjlw
    Also, I just looked up the BYO Racer 5 Clone and it also uses 12oz of C15 and 8 oz of wheat and gets an SRM of 8.

This will be a good APA/IPA
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

It's been awhile since I had either of those buit I think they are both on the drier side. I wasn;t very clear in my previous post. I don;t think this will be sweet at all. Just as an example here is the Avery Maharaja Clone:

It uses C120 and some victory.

Boil Size: 6.93 gal
    Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
    Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
    Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.089 SG
    Estimated Color: 10.5 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 90.7 IBUs
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
    Est Mash Efficiency: 92.7 %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt Name Type # %/IBU
    15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 93.8 %
    8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.1 %
    8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.1 %
    4.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
    2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 64.1 IBUs
    2.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
    2.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
    1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 30. Hop 5 26.5 IBUs
    2.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
    2.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
    2.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 8 -

Ah. Gotchya. I've never had Avery Maharaja...
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

Also, I just looked up the BYO Racer 5 Clone and it also uses 12oz of C15 and 8 oz of wheat and gets an SRM of 8.

This will be a good APA/IPA

This is basically what I'm shooting for. Something that muddies the water between both of those but cannot be described as a double or imperial.
  • ceanntceannt
    I'm not fond of the sweet ones .....
    I like a full malty background though ....
    Wish commercial brewers would not confuse malty with sweet .....
  • ceanntceannt
    What you have should be good
  • jlwjlw
    In my Maharaja post I used an incorrect word. I meant "Malty" not "Sweet". Haven't finished my coffee yet.
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

This this this.
    ceannt said:

Good. I'm feeling pretty good about this now.
  • jlwjlw
    I think I am going to brew an IPA this weekend. I need a recipe but I need to see what hops I have lying around. I have enough I should be able to do a hop bomb (i think).
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

ceannt said:

This this this.
    ceannt said:

Get to brewin, boy!
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

ceannt said:

This this this.
    ceannt said:

Get to brewin, boy!

It's looking like Monday. That's the nicest day of next week. So I may just have to man up and do it as soon as I get home in the morning. I'll sleep when I'm dead.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    ipa's should not be malty. not american ones anyway. the english can do as they please.
  • ceanntceannt
    Not balanced towards malty no ..... but IPAs are outstanding if instead of throwing in a ton of crystal malts there is a richness from malt flavor to back up the aggressive hop profile ..... most commercial IPAs would be like drinking out of a hummingbird feeder if you took the hops out ..... just a touch of light munich or something does magic
  • C_BC_B
    I got the rest of the ingredients this morning. Monday morning brew time, weather permitting.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    ceannt said:

Not balanced towards malty no ..... but IPAs are outstanding if instead of throwing in a ton of crystal malts there is a richness from malt flavor to back up the aggressive hop profile ..... most commercial IPAs would be like drinking out of a hummingbird feeder if you took the hops out ..... just a touch of light munich or something does magic

i totally agree with all of this. you get a fuller flavor by laying off the sweetness and instead balancing with richness. there is a difference.

ceannt
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

i totally agree with all of this. you get a fuller flavor by laying off the sweetness and instead balancing with richness. there is a difference.

Yup .... its not that difficult of a concept .... I will never understand why most of the "big boys" can't seem to grasp it
  • C_BC_B
    Doughing in...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    it's about time!
  • ceanntceannt
    C_dubbs said:

Doughing in...

I love the smell of mashing grain in the morning
  • C_BC_B

it's about time!

I napped. And now the weather is less crappy, so win!
  • C_BC_B
    I went with 152* mash on this one. Probably a degree or even two high for an IPA (shut it fry) but I don't want it too dry.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

I went with 152* mash on this one. Probably a degree or even two high for an IPA (shut it fry) but I don't want it too dry.

that's about where i like em.
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

that's about where i like em.

I'm using some DME, so hopefully that won't leave the FG too high. But I'm willing to risk it.
  • C_BC_B
    I need to do one of those digital thingies. Or just a floating leave in thermometer. Those are uber cheap.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    this thread needs pictures.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    so i split that off, then realized it was stupid, now your post about your fail is gone. oops.
  • C_BC_B
    Here?
    FB_IMG_13545604271698218.jpg
    1920 x 2560 - 1004K
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    looks like you're kettle is wearing a white dress shirt with a ridiculously thin blue tie.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    GENTLEMEN!
  • C_BC_B
    Well. I don't have a clue what just happened.
  • C_BC_B
    My Hop schedule looked like this

1oz Mt. Hood 60 minutes
    1oz Cascade 60 minutes
    1oz Cascade 20 minutes
    1oz Palisade 20 minutes
    and here is where it gets really fun...
    Flame out...
    2.3oz Centennial
    1.7oz Palisade
    0.5oz Cascade
    0.5oz Mt. Hood

I think. I had to baby sit the dang thing for the longest hot break ever, even then it never really calmed down. I got all flustered when I couldn't remember which addition was which since the packages didn't match exactly what I was using them for plus the weights didn't match what I thought they were. Plus I forgot the first wort hop, so I backed off on the 60 addition. At least it's beer.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    not yet its not.
  • C_BC_B
    Mmk. This has been in primary for 20 days now. I'm going to pull a gravity sample and see what's the haps.
    If the gravity isn't down where it needs to be I'll probably pull the buckets up to a little warmer part of the house. But I also need to dry hops this stuff. I have 6 oz of palisades. I'm thinking 2oz in each fermenter for 7ish days?
  • C_BC_B
    One other question... since it'll be a while (month or two, maybe longer than that) before I get to drinking the second half of this should I wait to dry hop that till then?
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

One other question... since it'll be a while (month or two, maybe longer than that) before I get to drinking the second half of this should I wait to dry hop that till then?

Might be an opportunity to compare the difference between a beer that has been dry hopped for 7 days and one that has been dry hopped for 7 weeks. Sounds like a good experiment to me.
  • C_BC_B
    Interesting thought... Dry hop the longer half colder to avoid grassy flavors? I should do some research around this since I am new to dry hopping period.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Interesting thought... Dry hop the longer half colder to avoid grassy flavors? I should do some research around this since I am new to dry hopping period.

yes
  • ThymThym
    of course, post what you do and the results!
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

of course, post what you do and the results!

'course
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

i have done this experiment
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    one batch i dry hopped for 7 days and 14 days and one batch i dry hopped for 7 days and 21 days
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    the 21 days one was picking up some grassiness in a bad way.

still totally drinkable, but glad i pulled them when i did

(sorry about the 3 posts.....forgot where i was)
  • C_BC_B
    What temp was the beer in this experiment?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    55, 60 max
  • C_BC_B
    FG 1.006. I think it's done.
  • jlwjlw
    C_dubbs said:

FG 1.006. I think it's done.

I would guess so
  • jlwjlw
    Is the airlock still bubbling? That's THE only way to tell when fermentation is done.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    jlw said:

Is the airlock still bubbling? That's THE only way to tell when fermentation is done.

this.

it should actually be our new motto