Help me design a Pale Ale for these hops.
  • C_BC_B
    Dry hopped on bucket with 2oz of Palisades. Dang that seemed like a boatload of hops....
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Dry hopped on bucket with 2oz of Palisades. Dang that seemed like a boatload of hops....

yummmmmmmmmmmmm
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    this sounds tasty
  • C_BC_B
    Oups. That was supposed to read "one" bucket. Not on bucket. But it looks like you figured it out.
  • C_BC_B
    Pulled the dry hops today. Didn't rack to the kegs because I'm a little sick and I didn't feel like do all that work.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Pulled the dry hops today. Didn't rack to the kegs because I'm a little sick and I didn't feel like do all that work.

ok, we'll wait.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

ok, we'll wait.

Yes you will. I'm trying to build suspense for the best beer I've ever made.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

ok, we'll wait.

Yes you will. I'm trying to build suspense for the best beer I've ever made.

you are an inspiration to us all
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    don't you speak for me!
  • ThymThym

don't you speak for me!

i said all and that's final!
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    nuh uh!
  • C_BC_B
    I'm glad to see this thread is moving along just fine without any relevance to the topic.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

maybe if you would get off your butt and progress your beer, we would have something else to talk about.....
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

maybe if you would get off your butt and progress your beer, we would have something else to talk about.....

Fair point, fair point. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.
  • jlwjlw
    Did anyone notice hockey is back? I don't care either. But I thought I would try to keep te conversation about nothing going until we get results if this beer.
  • C_BC_B
    Ha. Officially kegged with the dry hopped half on gas and in the kegerator. Shutie.
  • jlwjlw
    Taste a sample? If yes, details please.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

I'm going to pull a sample tonight. I need to check those picnic taps for mold now that lake freaked me out.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    the garden hose should be able to wash the sand right outta there for ya big guy. just try a sample.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

Did anyone notice hockey is back? I don't care either. But I thought I would try to keep te conversation about nothing going until we get results if this beer.

yes i did. HAWKS WIN!
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

I'm going to pull a sample tonight. I need to check those picnic taps for mold now that lake freaked me out.

Annnnnnd?

I'm referring to the sample. We know the result of your picnic tap investigation. Eww.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

Annnnnnd?

I'm referring to the sample. We know the result of your picnic tap investigation. Eww.

I haven't pulled a sample because now the keg is buried in the back of the kegerator and I'm waiting on my new picnic tap to get here from Amazon. I could hook the other line up to it, but that sounds like effort.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

Annnnnnd?

I haven't pulled a sample because now the keg is buried in the back of the kegerator and I'm waiting on my new picnic tap to get here from Amazon. I could hook the other line up to it, but that sounds like effort.

i could offer some short term fix type advice here... but given that we all recognize that the "where theres a will theres a way" approach to life requires the will part, i'll just wait patiently.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

Annnnnnd?

i could offer some short term fix type advice here... but given that we all recognize that the "where theres a will theres a way" approach to life requires the will part, i'll just wait patiently.

It's probably better that way. I could just pop the QD and hose from the front keg over to that one. But meh, it's carbing right now.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

Annnnnnd?

It's probably better that way. I could just pop the QD and hose from the front keg over to that one. But meh, it's carbing right now.

yeah, someone needs to invent one of those QD's that can somehow disconnect quickly.......
  • C_BC_B
    Wow. This is good. Maybe the best I've made yet. Clarity sucks, but that's minor.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

Wow. This is good. Maybe the best I've made yet. Clarity sucks, but that's minor.

yay!
    this was dry hopped? that tends to leave a bit of haze.
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

yay!
    this was dry hopped? that tends to leave a bit of haze.

Yes. Dry hopped 2oz of pellets for 12 days.
  • C_BC_B
    Sample tonight. I need to work on cooling recirc, I think that's where part of the cloudiness is coming from.
    IMAG0784.jpg
    1440 x 2560 - 365K
  • C_BC_B
    I might even dry hop with 3oz on the second keg. Look out.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

Sample tonight. I need to work on cooling recirc, I think that's where part of the cloudiness is coming from.

im glad it tastes good... sorry it looks like that.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

look out world!
  • jlwjlw
    C_dubbs said:

Oh snap
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

im glad it tastes good... sorry it looks like that.

I've always had larger imperfections with my beers to be concerned about before I worry about clarity. That and most of what I brew is dark as coal.... Now that I've made a few lighter ones that SHOULD have been clear I'm going to put a little more effort into that. The first is using Whirlfloc. Then getting the placement of inlet/outlet and method for chilling recirc hammered out. But that's another thread entirely.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i almost exclusively brew things that are straw colored. time. not much time even. 1 or 2 weeks in a keg (chilled) crystal clear beer. all i use is whirlfloc, when i remember it.
  • C_BC_B
    I think it's starting to clear a bit. A couple pints in seems to be making a bit of a difference.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

I think it's starting to clear a bit. A couple pints in seems to be making a bit of a difference.

it'll clear right before you kill the keg.
  • ThymThym

C_dubbs said:

it'll clear right before you kill the keg.

Yup.
  • jlwjlw
    I find the first several pints are cloudy as stuff settles back down.
  • C_BC_B
    What the crap? This beer has changed in this short amount of time. It seems to be loosing the hop flavor and aroma and the bitterness is coming through much stronger than with the first pint. Is this normal with hoppier beers? No wonder I stick with malt. Malt is around for the duration.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

What the crap? This beer has changed in this short amount of time. It seems to be loosing the hop flavor and aroma and the bitterness is coming through much stronger than with the first pint. Is this normal with hoppier beers? No wonder I stick with malt. Malt is around for the duration.

jlw said:

is it clearing up more? i've had a couple beers do this. almost as if the yeast/sediment was coated with hop oils so that the first few pints were nice and hoppy but once it settled out, the hop flavor/aroma diminished a good bit and you could perceive the bitterness more clearly.
  • jlwjlw
    C_dubbs said:

It shouldn't go away that quickly. Yes over time but not this fast.
  • C_BC_B

C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

is it clearing up more? i've had a couple beers do this. almost as if the yeast/sediment was coated with hop oils so that the first few pints were nice and hoppy but once it settled out, the hop flavor/aroma diminished a good bit and you could perceive the bitterness more clearly.

It is clearing a bit. I'd say the first three pints where really hoppy. Then there was a sharp contrast to the next pint(s). It seems level now with how it was a couple days ago. I'll be upping that dry hop addition for the second keg.
  • ThymThym
    you can never go wrong with more hops
  • C_BC_B
    Seems now this beer is basically just bitter with a dash of hop aroma and taste. I think I'll bottle some and send it to some of you that do hoppy daily to critique.
  • ThymThym
    You are saying that the hop aroma and flavor dissipated in a week?
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

What I'm REALLY saying is I am completely ignorant of hoppy beers and what I should expect from dry hopping to the first pull to the last pull. No clue. And what I say was big hoppiness on the first pull may very well have been "meh" to someone who brews hoppy beers. I really want to bottle some of this up and send it around. I'm off this weekend so bug me about it.
  • jlwjlw
    C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

What I'm REALLY saying is I am completely ignorant of hoppy beers and what I should expect from dry hopping to the first pull to the last pull. No clue. And what I say was big hoppiness on the first pull may very well have been "meh" to someone who brews hoppy beers. I really want to bottle some of this up and send it around. I'm off this weekend so bug me about it.

Hmmm. I'm really surprised that it dissipated that quickly. I would be curious to sample.
  • ThymThym
    I would really like to sample for you.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

Hmmm. I'm really surprised that it dissipated that quickly. I would be curious to sample.

Lakewood said:

You're both on the short list.
  • jlwjlw
    C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

Can I pay you off somehow to move up the list?
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

C_dubbs said:

jlw said:

C_dubbs said:

Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

Can I pay you off somehow to move up the list?

Ha. And yes.
  • C_BC_B
    I had a friend that is usually fairly honest/meh towards my beers try this one. He liked it a lot. To the point he took my pint and I drank the one I poured for him that was something else. He doesn't like bigger hoppy beers, so I think I hit the pale ale/IPA target I was looking for.
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

I had a friend that is usually fairly honest/meh towards my beers try this one. He liked it a lot. To the point he took my pint and I drank the one I poured for him that was something else. He doesn't like bigger hoppy beers, so I think I hit the pale ale/IPA target I was looking for.

Very cool
  • C_BC_B
    Blew the first keg. Dang. I should have started dry hopping the other keg a week ago.
  • C_BC_B
    3 oz dry hopping in the second keg right meow.
  • C_BC_B
    C_dubbs said:

2.25 oz dry hopping in the second keg right meow.

Fixed. There was an "incident".
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

C_dubbs said:

This beer shall be named 'Mishap'
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

C_dubbs said:

This beer shall be named 'Mishap'

This beer has been a cluster from the get go. That is an apt name. I tried hanging the hop bag with thread. Worked like a charm. @azscoob