Hopped up Robust Porter - build thread
  • jlwjlw
    Ok. I read up a little more on Robust Porters. I'm trying to simplify the grain bill. So here is another take. Can i simplify more? How about the flava flav hops?

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
    Recipe: George Washington Zombie Killer Robust Porter
    Brewer: George Washington
    Asst Brewer:
    Style: Robust Porter
    TYPE: All Grain
    Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
    --------------------------
    Boil Size: 7.19 gal
    Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
    Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
    Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
    Estimated Color: 28.4 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 167.5 IBUs
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
    Est Mash Efficiency: 82.4 %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt Name Type # %/IBU
    10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 78.0 %
    1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.8 %
    5.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 6 2.5 %
    4.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - First Wort 20.0 min Hop 5 120.9 IBUs
    1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.8 %
    1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 11.7 IBUs
    1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.6 IBUs
    3.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
    1.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 31.3 IBUs
    8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.9 %
    4.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
    Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 13.0 oz
    ----------------------------
    Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
    Mash In Add 16.63 qt of water at 171.7 F 156.0 F 45 min

Sparge: Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 1 steps (4.78gal) of 168.0 F water
    Notes:
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i like the look of that recipe now, the only thing i think i would change is to make it 2 oz of centennial at ten minutes, but that's because its one of my favorite flavor hops out there.
  • ceanntceannt
    Now yer talkin'
    I like that a lot ....
    And as much as it pains me .... I agree with fryboy on the extra ounce at 10 minutes
    it is after all ... a hopped up slap your granny zombie killin' Porter ....
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    twist my arm for more hops. The IBU's based on beer smith are 175. Now I am assuming that this being a porter it's not going to be that over the top hoppy?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    jlw said:

twist my arm for more hops. The IBU's based on beer smith are 175. Now I am assuming that this being a porter it's not going to be that over the top hoppy?

no, it won't be. i promise. with that amount of roast grain, i think it will be decently balanced
  • jlwjlw
    Getting ready to order ingredients. Last couple of questions. I think a 60 min mash should be adequate for this beer. Any reason to go to 90? Also, 60 min boil or longer?

• ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

Getting ready to order ingredients. Last couple of questions. I think a 60 min mash should be adequate for this beer. Any reason to go to 90? Also, 60 min boil or longer?

60 is fine ....
    go with 20 minute sparge rests though ....
    No need for a long boil if your volumes are ok.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

isn't the taste threshold around 100 ibus? i thought that's what i read somewhere. if so, it wouldn't matter much if you go over, as long as you can balance it out with roastedness and gravity.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    the whole taste threshold thing is kind of B.S.
    some say its 80, some say its 100.
    i have tested it with my own beers, making the same recipe with 150 ibu's and with 80 ibu's (just reduced all hops by percentage) and the were vastly different beers.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

i have tested it with my own beers, making the same recipe with 150 ibu's and with 80 ibu's (just reduced all hops by percentage) and the were vastly different beers.

ibu's frighten me :-SS

i think i'll stick to under 60. :D
  • C_BC_B

This. I want to see how this beer turns out. Then do it and knock out 25% of the hops. B-)
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • jlwjlw
    CB said:

This. I want to see how this beer turns out. Then do it and knock out 25% of the hops. B-)

I'll let you know when I GET to brew it. Friggen lhbs is closed for the weekend.
  • C_BC_B
    jlw said:

CB said:

I'll let you know when I GET to brew it. Friggen lhbs is closed for the weekend.

BAH! Kick the door down. It's an emergency.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    CB said:

jlw said:

CB said:

BAH! Kick the door down. It's an emergency.

call the police and tell them that you locked yourself out. they'll break in for you!
  • jlwjlw
    not sure this is going to be any good. It's hoppy alright. But bitter hoppy and not really in a good way. I hope some age will and it will mellow. It either needed less hops or more chocolate malts and stuff to balance it out. I'm going to let it age for a few months see how it goes then since hops tend to diminish over time.

• ceanntceannt
    Hmmm.... what's your water like? Could be that. Carbonates?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Hmmm.... what's your water like? Could be that. Carbonates?

sharp hop bitterness makes me think this ^
  • jlwjlw
    I have we'll water. Never had I tested and never have really had a problem. This bitterness is almost as if I ate a hop pellet.

ceannt
  • ceanntceannt
    Don't give up hope on it .... I bet it will smooth out in a few weeks
  • ceanntceannt
    I will dilute my water a lot .... with distilled ... if I brew something really hoppy
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

I will dilute my water a lot .... with distilled ... if I brew something really hoppy

The weird thing is I have never had a problem like this before. My hoppy beers always turn out great. Hoping time will heal it, usually does.
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

The weird thing is I have never had a problem like this before. My hoppy beers always turn out great. Hoping time will heal it, usually does.

Yep. A beer like this could stand to age some anyway ......
    It could also be the Ph was lowered by the roasted malts ......???
  • jlwjlw
    maybe I will get my water tested. Someting I have thought about doing anyway. Yes, I do believe it needs age.

• frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i have had this happen once, that intense, sharp bitterness. it mellowed slightly with age, but ended up....dumping it. i dumped it. yeah. that's what i did with it. :^o

in my case it was because i accidentally doubled the amount of 60 minute hop additions.
  • jlwjlw

i have had this happen once, that intense, sharp bitterness. it mellowed slightly with age, but ended up....dumping it. i dumped it. yeah. that's what i did with it. :^o

in my case it was because i accidentally doubled the amount of 60 minute hop additions.

I hope I don't have to. I was going to send some to you and ceannt but I won't lt anyone drink this if it doesn't turn out good.