Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Hopped up Robust Porter - build thread
  • jlwjlw
    I think I am going to brew a hopped up robust porter this weekend. Looking for help developing a complex hop profile with ingredients I have on hand.

Hops:
    Magnum - almost a 1lb
    Cascade - 1/2 lb
    Centenial - a few ounces
    Chinook - a few ounces
    Crystal - 1.75 oz
    Citra - 3/4 oz

Here is the base recipe:

Recipe Specifications
    --------------------------
    Boil Size: 7.19 gal
    Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
    Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
    Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
    Estimated Color: 43.7 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 51.2 IBUs
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
    Est Mash Efficiency: 82.4 %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt Name Type # %/IBU
    10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.6 %
    12.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.0 %
    9.6 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.8 %
    8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
    4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.0 %
    5.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 6 2.5 %
    1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 42.9 IBUs
    0.75 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 8.3 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
    Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 6.6 oz
    ----------------------------
    Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
    Mash In Add 16.13 qt of water at 162.9 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.14gal, 3.72gal) of 168.0 F water
    Notes:
  • ceanntceannt
    interesting.... how "hopped up" do you want it?
    I would be tempted to FWH with a bunch of the Magnum.... 3-4 ounces? skip bittering additions entirely... and do late additions starting at 10-min. with the Crystal and Cascades.... maybe do all the Crystal between 5-min. and flame out....and dry hop with a bit more Cascades and just a touch of Chinook....

lot of options there... you could go in a lot of different directions with the hops you have on hand
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • jlwjlw
    I am definitely doing the FWH. I really need to use up the Magnum.

So let's lock that in

FWH with a bunch of Magnum
  • jlwjlw
    Also, what do you think about upping the Mash temp? I'm thinking 155*
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

Also, what do you think about upping the Mash temp? I'm thinking 155*

I like Robust Porters at 156..... a little "chew" is a good thing in 'em
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt
    Too bad you don't have any Northern Brewer ..... wonderful in a Porter
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • jlwjlw
    I can get Northern Brewer. I just plugged in 4 oz of Magnum in FWH and it gave me like 254 ibu's. Yikes! Can this be correct?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    jlw said:

I can get Northern Brewer. I just plugged in 4 oz of Magnum in FWH and it gave me like 254 ibu's. Yikes! Can this be correct?

no, shouldn't be anyway. i have used 3 oz of magnum before and it was nowhere near that.

is your volume set right?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    jlw said:

12.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.0 %
    9.6 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.8 %
    8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
    4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.0 %

this is where i see an issue. with the chocolate, R barley, and patent you will have a hell of a time getting this beer "hopped up"

i would cut all those in half probably. but thats just me, and i like it a little more hop forward than some of you.

alternately, drop the chocolate malt entirely and rely on the chocolately notes from the roasted barley.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    as for the hops, i would use all those, with the exception of not all the magnum.
    probably chinook, centennial and a little cascade for mad flava, magnum for FWH, and everything else is aroma and dry hopping.
  • ceanntceannt
    That is a lot of roasted/dark grains ...
    Anymore I make my robust porters backwards from what I used to ... no roasted barley ... a lot of chocolate malt (a pound) and a little black patent (4 oz) I also put a couple pounds of munich and an oz of peat smoked malt in it ... but I use only Northern Brewer hops .. and it plays well together ....
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt
    What is the AA% of your Magnum? .... with your original grain bill ... I get 134 IBU with 4 ounces FWHed...
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

What is the AA% of your Magnum? .... with your original grain bill ... I get 134 IBU with 4 ounces FWHed...

beersmith says 14%. Now these are older hops maybe a year old. I just checked again and yeah I have 4oz for 5.25 gallons. Also when you select FWH it still has the amount of steep time similar to boil. It defaults to 60 min. Not sure if that's correct? I dropped it to 0 min and I got zero ibu's.
  • ceanntceannt
    jlw said:

ceannt said:

beersmith says 14%. Now these are older hops maybe a year old. I just checked again and yeah I have 4oz for 5.25 gallons. Also when you select FWH it still has the amount of steep time similar to boil. It defaults to 60 min. Not sure if that's correct? I dropped it to 0 min and I got zero ibu's.

I always calculate as a 20 minute addition.... the "perceived" bitterness is less than a 60 minutes boil ...
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

jlw said:

ceannt said:

I always calculate as a 20 minute addition.... the "perceived" bitterness is less than a 60 minutes boil ...

well that takes it down to 123 ibu's
  • jlwjlw
    and you two are saying opposite things on the grain bill. Think I will take a look at my black IIPA grain bill.
  • ceanntceannt
    That would certainly put it in the "hopped up" category ....
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

and you two are saying opposite things on the grain bill. Think I will take a look at my black IIPA grain bill.

fight fight fight fight!
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    jlw said:

we're saying the same thing, just two different ways.
    that's a lot of big, flavorful, grain, and you might want to tweak it a little.
    how you tweak it is personal preference, i mean, this is sort of a hybrid beer category after all.

i'll be making one of these as soon as new hops come out, so we should swap at some point.
  • jlwjlw
    I tooled around with the original. Not sure if it's any better

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
    Recipe: George Washington Zombie Killer Robust Porter
    Brewer: George Washington
    Asst Brewer:
    Style: Robust Porter
    TYPE: All Grain
    Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
    --------------------------
    Boil Size: 7.19 gal
    Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
    Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
    Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
    Estimated Color: 34.4 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 160.5 IBUs
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
    Est Mash Efficiency: 82.4 %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt Name Type # %/IBU
    10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 71.1 %
    1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.1 %
    8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.6 %
    5.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 8 2.2 %
    4.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - First Wort 20.0 min Hop 7 116.2 IBUs
    1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.1 %
    4.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 6 1.8 %
    1 lbs Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.1 %
    0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 5.0 IBUs
    0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 2.8 IBUs
    0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 0.9 IBUs
    3.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
    1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 9 35.5 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
    Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 1.0 oz
    ----------------------------
    Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
    Mash In Add 18.19 qt of water at 171.8 F 156.0 F 45 min

Sparge: Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 1 steps (4.54gal) of 168.0 F water
    Notes:
  • jlwjlw
    Too much big flavors? Too many hops? I haven't met a beer too hoppy so I think it will be ok?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    way way way more flavor hops. i would move the cascade from 40 minutes to 20 minutes as well. you have enough bittering hops for sure (might take an ounce out of that actually), but i don't think you'll get much hop flavor to stand against that grain bill as your flavor hops stand.

as i have said though, i am looking at this through the only lens i have, which is black ipa's. i have made several of those, some of which were probably technically porters.

bottom line, i may be wrong.
  • ceanntceannt

jlw said:

how you tweak it is personal preference, i mean, this is sort of a hybrid beer category after all.

i'll be making one of these as soon as new hops come out, so we should swap at some point.

I agree.... we just have a different "focus" ... both are legit... both will male good beer... mine is smoother.... his is sharper, with more "burnt coffee"....

that we differ on this focus should come as no suprise... look at our taste in hops... :)
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt

way way way more flavor hops. i would move the cascade from 40 minutes to 20 minutes as well. you have enough bittering hops for sure (might take an ounce out of that actually), but i don't think you'll get much hop flavor to stand against that grain bill as your flavor hops stand.

as i have said though, i am looking at this through the only lens i have, which is black ipa's. i have made several of those, some of which were probably technically porters.

bottom line, i may be wrong.

with all the IBU from the FWH.... I wouldn't add any more hops until 15 min..... what he said about flavor...
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

jlw said:

I agree.... we just have a different "focus" ... both are legit... both will male good beer... mine is smoother.... his is sharper, with more "burnt coffee"....

that we differ on this focus should come as no suprise... look at our taste in hops... :)

i prefer to female a good beer.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

jlw said:

i prefer to female a good beer.

Hah ..... *make ...
    Dang autocorrect .....
    In wine there is wisdom.