Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Bulk Hops from Hopsdirect.com
  • jlwjlw
    Hops Direct still has a lot of common domestic varieties in stock.

http://www.hopsdirect.com/store/domestic-pellet-hops.html

• LothosLothos
    i hate pellet hops too dang messy
    thats why i grow my own 5 different varities
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Lothos said:

I'm thinking about switching over to whole leaf for this reason. I haven't ever tried it though. Definitely don't have the space to grow all my own though.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

Lothos said:

I'm thinking about switching over to whole leaf for this reason. I haven't ever tried it though. Definitely don't have the space to grow all my own though.

i use whole leaf 90% of the time.
    most of my bittering hops are usually pellets.
    i like whole hops more just because they don't turn to gross sludge when you use them.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Lothos said:

i use whole leaf 90% of the time.
    most of my bittering hops are usually pellets.
    i like whole hops more just because they don't turn to gross sludge when you use them.

yep. the shear volume of sludge i had to remove from the kettle after the Wicked Angel was just too much.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    I have found that I use the pellet hops for my boils unless there is a hop bill that I don't have in pellets but have in whole leaf. I generally reserve my whole leaf for dry hopping. I do boil the hops in a nylon mesh bag for easy clean out. I have found that dealing with the Puterbaugh farm is very down to earth and friendly. I also like the fact of buying direct from the farmer so that people aren't making money off of the hard work of others.
  • ThymThym
    i buy almost all of my hops from Puterbaugh. Same sentiment.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lothos said:

i have 3 that i grew last year, but i only got about a 1/4 oz dried. i'm hoping for significantly more this season. That being said, i still have to buy the trademarked/proprietary hops.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • PK1PK1
    I got citra and simcoe in leaf this year and with my home grown cascades I'm going to try a false bottom in the brew kettle on my next batch. I have been using the hop spider and bag method.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    they make a spider for hops? i just use my regular spider from the kitchen to scoop them out. 3 or 4 scoops and pretty much all hops are taken out.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

they make a spider for hops? i just use my regular spider from the kitchen to scoop them out. 3 or 4 scoops and pretty much all hops are taken out.

hop spider

"Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    well look at that handy thing. not what i was envisioning at all.
  • BenSBenS

well look at that handy thing. not what i was envisioning at all.

They are cheap and easy to make. You can get everything you need for less that $10 from the local hardware store and they take 10 minutes to assemble.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • ThymThym
    hmmm.... i've seen that before, but never tried it out. maybe i should. didn't recognize it by name.

do we have a build thread for one of those around here?
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

hmmm.... i've seen that before, but never tried it out. maybe i should. didn't recognize it by name.

do we have a build thread for one of those around here?

hint hint hint.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants