Bulk Hops from Hopsdirect.com
  • jlwjlw
    Hops Direct still has a lot of common domestic varieties in stock.

http://www.hopsdirect.com/store/domestic-pellet-hops.html

• LothosLothos
    i hate pellet hops too dang messy
    thats why i grow my own 5 different varities
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Lothos said:

I'm thinking about switching over to whole leaf for this reason. I haven't ever tried it though. Definitely don't have the space to grow all my own though.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

Lothos said:

I'm thinking about switching over to whole leaf for this reason. I haven't ever tried it though. Definitely don't have the space to grow all my own though.

i use whole leaf 90% of the time.
    most of my bittering hops are usually pellets.
    i like whole hops more just because they don't turn to gross sludge when you use them.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

Lothos said:

i use whole leaf 90% of the time.
    most of my bittering hops are usually pellets.
    i like whole hops more just because they don't turn to gross sludge when you use them.

yep. the shear volume of sludge i had to remove from the kettle after the Wicked Angel was just too much.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    I have found that I use the pellet hops for my boils unless there is a hop bill that I don't have in pellets but have in whole leaf. I generally reserve my whole leaf for dry hopping. I do boil the hops in a nylon mesh bag for easy clean out. I have found that dealing with the Puterbaugh farm is very down to earth and friendly. I also like the fact of buying direct from the farmer so that people aren't making money off of the hard work of others.
  • ThymThym
    i buy almost all of my hops from Puterbaugh. Same sentiment.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lothos said:

i have 3 that i grew last year, but i only got about a 1/4 oz dried. i'm hoping for significantly more this season. That being said, i still have to buy the trademarked/proprietary hops.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • PK1PK1
    I got citra and simcoe in leaf this year and with my home grown cascades I'm going to try a false bottom in the brew kettle on my next batch. I have been using the hop spider and bag method.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    they make a spider for hops? i just use my regular spider from the kitchen to scoop them out. 3 or 4 scoops and pretty much all hops are taken out.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

they make a spider for hops? i just use my regular spider from the kitchen to scoop them out. 3 or 4 scoops and pretty much all hops are taken out.

hop spider

The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    well look at that handy thing. not what i was envisioning at all.
  • BenSBenS

well look at that handy thing. not what i was envisioning at all.

They are cheap and easy to make. You can get everything you need for less that $10 from the local hardware store and they take 10 minutes to assemble.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • ThymThym
    hmmm.... i've seen that before, but never tried it out. maybe i should. didn't recognize it by name.

do we have a build thread for one of those around here?
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

hmmm.... i've seen that before, but never tried it out. maybe i should. didn't recognize it by name.

do we have a build thread for one of those around here?

hint hint hint.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants