Tomato Blossom end rot help.
  • ThymThym
    Split
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    My tomatoes have a bad blossom end rot problem.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

My tomatoes have a bad blossom end rot problem.

@frydogbrews is there a cheap ass way to get the Cal-Mag level up in a soil fast? I have 50lb of oyster shells for the hens, but I don't know if that would have much mag, or lime? Any thoughts, tips, ext. ?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    Ag lime will help .... don't know about the Mag
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Lime will add calcium, but try a pelletized lime because it is more soluble than an Ag lime, or at least it should be. If you are trying to fix now that is. The Ag lime is great, but takes a while to break down in the soil to become usable. For next year, there is plenty of time. I always recommend a soil test too, especially of you are going to end up tilling to incorporate after this season, might as well add anything else lacking at the same time. For this year, I guess you won't be tilling under your garden until after it is done.
  • scoobscoob
    The depth of knowledge here astounds me sometimes. I wish I could grow tomatoes here. Too hot, ant salt level in the soil is through the roof. Asparagus love it as long as the soil is kept moist enough, but tomatoes give me trouble.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

The depth of knowledge here astounds me sometimes. I wish I could grow tomatoes here. Too hot, ant salt level in the soil is through the roof. Asparagus love it as long as the soil is kept moist enough, but tomatoes give me trouble.

Grow 'em in containers. Like 55 gallon drums cut in half, about that size. Then you can mix your soil with some potting soil till you get the right mix. The heat I don't know about, but a guy here at work does this with great success. He is eating fresh tomatoes for at least 3 months.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    I have grown tomatoes in drywall buckets ..... they will do ok in the heat ... with enough water .... like twice a day
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.