Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)


Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Hot Pepper Beer Design
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,417
    @ceannt

    Ceannt and I have been talking about creating a hot pepper beer for a few months now. Peppers are starting to grow so I think we will be brewing our beers in a couple of weeks. Wanted to get this posted up for recipe input, design tips, suggestions or other comments.

    Anyone else want to join in on this beer. I thought we could also do a swap.

  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,417
    I've went back and forth between a traditional IPA, stout or porter. Ceannt mentioned Black Ale today and this got me thinking that this style would be well suited to balance out the heat of the peppers. After all, chocolate does go well with hot peppers. So I a think I will go with my Imperial Black Ale recipe as the base and then add the peppers in
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,417
    Here is the base recipe:

    Recipe: Anthracite Black Ale
    Brewer:
    Asst Brewer:
    Style: Imperial IPA
    TYPE: All Grain
    Taste: (35.0)

    Recipe Specifications
    --------------------------
    Boil Size: 6.35 gal
    Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
    Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
    Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
    Estimated OG: 1.094 SG
    Estimated Color: 38.0 SRM
    Estimated IBU: 110.6 IBUs
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
    Est Mash Efficiency: 82.5 %
    Boil Time: 60 Minutes

    Ingredients:
    ------------
    Amt Name Type # %/IBU
    15 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.6 %
    1 lbs Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.7 %
    1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.7 %
    2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
    3.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 108.7 IBUs
    2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
    2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 5 1.9 IBUs
    0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
    2.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 7 -


    Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
    Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 8.0 oz
    ----------------------------
    Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
    Mash In Add 22.88 qt of water at 167.2 F 152.0 F 60 min

    Sparge: Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 1 steps (2.98gal) of 168.0 F water
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,417
    For the peppers I am thinking about using jalapeno's or sweet bell peppers. I'm not going for something undrinkable here so I only want the heat to be noticeable or even just the pepperiness.
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,417
    For the pepper schedule I am thinking of something like this:

    1. first wort
    2. 10 min left in the boil
    3. Steep in the wort at flame out
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 77,085
    I'm curious how this turns out. I like the base recipe. Just add enough pepper to POP the flavor? I love the idea.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • LothosLothos
    Posts: 2,146
    Green Chili Beer

    For 5 U.S. gal (19 L)
    7.0 lb (3.2 kg) pale ale malt
    1.0 lb (0.45 kg) malted wheat
    0.5 oz (14 g) Chinook hops, 13.2% AA (90 min)
    0.5 oz (14 g) Chinook hops, 13.2% AA (60 min)
    1.0 oz (28 g) Cascade hops (finish)
    1.0 lb (0.45 kg) fresh roasted New Mexico green chiles
    Wyeast No. 1187 Ringwood ale yeast

    • OG: 1.039–1.041
    • FG: 1.008–1.010

    Brewer’s Specifics
    Conduct a short (five to 10 minute) protein rest at 122° F (50° C) then saccharification rest at150° F (66° C) for 10 to 15 minutes followed by a rest at 158° F (70° C) until conversion is complete.

    chiles (unpeeled) in a grain bag and add to the beer after fermentation (think dry-hopping with chile).

    Leave beer in contact with the chiles for a week, then squeeze the bag and remove.
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    Posts: 2,146
    Red Chili Beer

    For 5 U.S. gal (19 L)
    7.25 lb (3.3 kg) Great Western two-row malt
    0.5 lb (227 g) Great Western Carastan malt
    0.5 lb (227 g) crystal malt (17 L)
    1.5 oz (43 g) chocolate malt
    0.75 oz (21 g) Cascade hops, 4.9% AA (60 min)
    1.25 oz (35 g) Cascade hops, 4.9% AA (30 min)
    5 whole dried red chiles from a ristra, crushed by hand
    1 whole dried red pequín chile, crushed by hand (optional for extra heat)
    Danstar Nottingham ale yeast

    • OG: 1.044
    • FG: 1.016

    Brewer’s Specifics

    Strike at 155° F (68° C), add heat as necessary to maintain temperature.
    Mash out at 168° F (76° C) after starch conversion is complete.
    Put crushed, dried red chiles into the brew kettle while sparging (as you would with first-wort hops), boil the chiles with the wort,
    strain out with the hops at the end of the boil.
    No finishing hops.
    The yeast has only a medium attenuation, which leaves the beer with the desired sweetness.
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    Posts: 2,146
    ok there is 2 for ya
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,087
    I was skeptical about pepper beers .... then I brewed a couple ..... they are actually pretty dang good .... I think it would be easy to overdo it though ....
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,087
    The ones I have brewed I went real light on hops ..... real light .....
    I am very curious to see how jlw's and my hoppy pepper beers turn out .....
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,087
    I'm still tweaking my hop additions ..... but thinking centennial and cascades ..... FWH... low on bittering .... going for a little lower gravity than jlw too
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,417
    ceannt said:

    I'm still tweaking my hop additions ..... but thinking centennial and cascades ..... FWH... low on bittering .... going for a little lower gravity than jlw too



    I'm wondering if maybe I should back the gravity down as well. Need to thinjk on it.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Posts: 1,606
    I've only had one pepper beer, at a beer Fest, I promptly dumped it in the buckets provided. I enjoy hot food and grow peppers. Any suggested commercial samples to try? I am leery to make one just to dump into a bucket provided.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,087
    Benvarine said:

    I've only had one pepper beer, at a beer Fest, I promptly dumped it in the buckets provided. I enjoy hot food and grow peppers. Any suggested commercial samples to try? I am leery to make one just to dump into a bucket provided.



    I haven't had a commercial one ..... not sure I would trust a commercial brewery to do one .....
    Try just adding to a couple bottles ....
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,417
    Benvarine said:

    I've only had one pepper beer, at a beer Fest, I promptly dumped it in the buckets provided. I enjoy hot food and grow peppers. Any suggested commercial samples to try? I am leery to make one just to dump into a bucket provided.


    I have had one commercial beer that was good. Just hint of pepper. It was a Virginia beer but I can;t remember the brewery and haven't been able to locate it again.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 77,085
    ceannt said:

    Benvarine said:

    I've only had one pepper beer, at a beer Fest, I promptly dumped it in the buckets provided. I enjoy hot food and grow peppers. Any suggested commercial samples to try? I am leery to make one just to dump into a bucket provided.



    I haven't had a commercial one ..... not sure I would trust a commercial brewery to do one .....
    Try just adding to a couple bottles ....


    Adding what and how exactly? Pepper tea?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Posts: 1,606
    I am interested in the pepper adding technique as well.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,087
    couple ways you could add it at bottling.......

    put a pepper (or portion thereof) directly in the bottle....
    roast and boil some peppers, and add the liquid.....
    or even...
    roast some peppers, steep for a week or three in vodka, bourbon, whatever.... strain and add the liquor... (I did this with tequilla once)
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,087
    The beer with tequila turned out awesome ...... did a Blonde Ale..... with lime zest and roasted jalepenos in the boil...... and added jalepenos and cayenne peppers with fresh cilantro to tequila ..... added the liquor a week before bottling ..... very refreshing
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 102,350
    ceannt said:

    The beer with tequila turned out awesome ...... did a Blonde Ale..... with lime zest and roasted jalepenos in the boil...... and added jalepenos and cayenne peppers with fresh cilantro to tequila ..... added the liquor a week before bottling ..... very refreshing


    This sounds pretty wild. Not sure i would like it but i would love to try it!
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,087
    Lakewood said:

    ceannt said:

    The beer with tequila turned out awesome ...... did a Blonde Ale..... with lime zest and roasted jalepenos in the boil...... and added jalepenos and cayenne peppers with fresh cilantro to tequila ..... added the liquor a week before bottling ..... very refreshing


    This sounds pretty wild. Not sure i would like it but i would love to try it!


    It was pretty wild ...... I think that were I to brew it again ... I would leave out the lime zest and cilantro ... almost too much going on....
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 102,350
    ceannt said:

    Lakewood said:

    ceannt said:

    The beer with tequila turned out awesome ...... did a Blonde Ale..... with lime zest and roasted jalepenos in the boil...... and added jalepenos and cayenne peppers with fresh cilantro to tequila ..... added the liquor a week before bottling ..... very refreshing


    This sounds pretty wild. Not sure i would like it but i would love to try it!


    It was pretty wild ...... I think that were I to brew it again ... I would leave out the lime zest and cilantro ... almost too much going on....


    That seems like what that beer was all about. Tooo much!
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,087
    Lakewood said:

    ceannt said:

    Lakewood said:

    ceannt said:

    The beer with tequila turned out awesome ...... did a Blonde Ale..... with lime zest and roasted jalepenos in the boil...... and added jalepenos and cayenne peppers with fresh cilantro to tequila ..... added the liquor a week before bottling ..... very refreshing


    This sounds pretty wild. Not sure i would like it but i would love to try it!


    It was pretty wild ...... I think that were I to brew it again ... I would leave out the lime zest and cilantro ... almost too much going on....


    That seems like what that beer was all about. Tooo much!


    Yep...... it was my "wacky summer beer " a couple years ago .... called it "tequila mockingbird "..... it was good ... just a bit over the top
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.