Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)


Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Hog Wallow Ale; Fall/Winter Beer
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,088
    Hog Wallow Ale

    SUMMARY

    (Original Gravity) O.G. = 1.073
    (Final Gravity) F.G. = 1.018
    (Bitterness) IBU = 70
    (Color) SRM = 21
    (Alcohol) APV = 7.1%
    Calories per 12-oz bottle =236

    For a 5-gallon batch:
    11 pounds Maris Otter Malt
    1-pound Crystal Malt 90
    2-ounces Peat Smoked Malt
    4-ounces Acidulated Malt
    3-ounces Carafa III
    0.25 pounds dark Brown Sugar (add with 15-minutes left in boil)

    2.5 ounces East Kent Goldings (EKG) hops 5.8% AA – 60-minutes
    0.5 ounces EKG- 15- minutes
    1 ounce EKG- 5-minutes
    (dry hopping with an ounce of EKG for a week is optional)

    S-04 yeast

    Add ¼ cup Bourbon at bottling

    Mash at 156 degrees for 75 minutes (1.25 quarts/pound)
    Batch sparge twice with 170 degree water, 2.5 gallons first, 2-gallons second.
    Boil the first runnings until it breaks.
    Boil for an hour, or until the proper volume is reached.
    Ferment in Primary only for 6 to 7 weeks. Rouse yeast every other day for the last two weeks.
    Add the Bourbon at bottling or kegging.
    Carbonate on the low side. Don’t serve it too cold…. 55-degrees is the lower limit… 60 is better.

    It is very enjoyable to watch this beer develop over time. It is good young, but becomes more complex with age. While not a really hoppy beer, the hops are very prominent in it’s character, and hang in there for several months. The Bourbon adds a bit of Oak flavor. All in all, a very good beer for late fall and winter….. very complex, smooth and warming.
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,088
    Just to be a good guy I converted all the decimal pounds of grain to ounces......
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 77,085
    You're a real team player.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,088

    You're a real team player.



    I try........ (actually I just didn't want to provide you all with quite so much entertainment....)
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 77,085
    I'm sifting through the recipe's here and man this one looks good. I'm not sure how to serve anything at 55-60 degrees though. I keep my kegerator around 40-42.

    scoob
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • scoobscoob
    Posts: 16,617
    SeaBee said:

    I'm sifting through the recipe's here and man this one looks good. I'm not sure how to serve anything at 55-60 degrees though. I keep my kegerator around 40-42.



    I warm a pint glass in the sink, then pour the beer from the tap, warms it slightly, then maybe a few minutes to rest, and you are getting pretty near serving temp
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 77,085
    azscoob said:

    SeaBee said:

    I'm sifting through the recipe's here and man this one looks good. I'm not sure how to serve anything at 55-60 degrees though. I keep my kegerator around 40-42.


    I warm a pint glass in the sink, then pour the beer from the tap, warms it slightly, then maybe a few minutes to rest, and you are getting pretty near serving temp

    That sounds effective. I'm probably going to fudge my kegerator up a couple degrees, but It's balanced where it's at right now.


    I wish I had made this beer two months ago...

    scoob
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • scoobscoob
    Posts: 16,617
    SeaBee said:

    azscoob said:

    SeaBee said:

    I'm sifting through the recipe's here and man this one looks good. I'm not sure how to serve anything at 55-60 degrees though. I keep my kegerator around 40-42.


    I warm a pint glass in the sink, then pour the beer from the tap, warms it slightly, then maybe a few minutes to rest, and you are getting pretty near serving temp

    That sounds effective. I'm probably going to fudge my kegerator up a couple degrees, but It's balanced where it's at right now.


    I wish I had made this beer two months ago...


    So do I, I'm going to brew it up soon, bottle some off for later, and chug the rest.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,088
    I came real close to brewing this next myself.... but went with the robust porter instead.... I will brew it here soon though .... it's tasty stuff!
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,088
    OK... this is on deck for my next brewday.
    It's a little late, but better late than not at all!
    My supplier is out of the crystal 90.... so am going with crystal 120, rather than waiting for them to get more in... who knows, maybe it will be better...
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • JerryJerry
    Posts: 74,365
    ceannt said:

    OK... this is on deck for my next brewday.
    It's a little late, but better late than not at all!
    My supplier is out of the crystal 90.... so am going with crystal 120, rather than waiting for them to get more in... who knows, maybe it will be better...



    A full lb of 120, or 3/4's?
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,088

    ceannt said:

    OK... this is on deck for my next brewday.
    It's a little late, but better late than not at all!
    My supplier is out of the crystal 90.... so am going with crystal 120, rather than waiting for them to get more in... who knows, maybe it will be better...



    A full lb of 120, or 3/4's?


    Cut it back to 3/4..... that's a lot of 120.....
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,088
    The brown sugar will dry it out a tad .... but still .....
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 102,382
    ceannt said:

    The brown sugar will dry it out a tad .... but still .....



    brown sugar doesn't really dry stuff out much due to the molasses.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,088
    Lakewood said:

    ceannt said:

    The brown sugar will dry it out a tad .... but still .....



    brown sugar doesn't really dry stuff out much due to the molasses.


    "a tad"... not much, but I can notice it
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 102,382
    ceannt said:

    Lakewood said:

    ceannt said:

    The brown sugar will dry it out a tad .... but still .....



    brown sugar doesn't really dry stuff out much due to the molasses.


    "a tad"... not much, but I can notice it


    i'll take your word for it. i actually think brown suga'sweetens.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 48,088
    It leaves some residual flavor .. but I don't know that I would call it sweetness .. plus, I typically use light brown sugar ... more likely to have it in the house
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.