Homebrew Competitions
  • ThymThym
    Is anyone planning on entering any comps this year?

The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Nope..... several folks have tried to talk me into it..... but I see no reason to take the fun out of brewing.... and win or loose...... there would be stress involved... and it would stop being fun real quick.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

Nope..... several folks have tried to talk me into it..... but I see no reason to take the fun out of brewing.... and win or loose...... there would be stress involved... and it would stop being fun real quick.

I agree. Same reason I don't want to go pro. I would consider a competition though.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i might enter into a local comp if i catch wind of one and have something good to enter.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    ceannt said:

this is my philosophy exactly.
    coupled with the fact that i brew strictly for me and the wife and our tastes, i don't want to stick to styles, and i don't want to brew for someone else's tastes.
    i would enter a cyser though, but i'm lazy.
  • ThymThym
    I think it would be a good way to get some well formed feedback on a beer. You can find a category for just about anything you make. Its more about intent than anything else. I think i would like to enter a beer into something. But i need to brew some beer first.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

I think it would be a good way to get some well formed feedback on a beer. You can find a category for just about anything you make. Its more about intent than anything else. I think i would like to enter a beer into something. But i need to brew some beer first.

I agree. I need to dig into the local homebrew scene a bit as well. Basically I just make beer in my kitchen and talk to some guys on the interwebs. All my friends that taste it love it. But what do they know. They call Miller Light "premium beer".
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I would like to start soon. I am mostly interested in feedback from experienced pallets who can potentially help me make better beer. That is ultimately all of our goals isn't it? Otherwise why make the investment beyond Mr. Beer kit? It's all about the beer, and an event that celebrates those that are really good at it, I can't see a down side.

Thym
  • BenSBenS
    You guys can all send me your beer if you want. I'm a recognized BJCP judge. And have been my club's competition director for the last 2 yrs. I'll even do it for free!
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • C_BC_B
    BenS said:

You guys can all send me your beer if you want. I'm a recognized BJCP judge. And have been my club's competition director for the last 2 yrs. I'll even do it for free!

Would you like a six pack or shall I just send the whole keg?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • BenSBenS

BenS said:

Would you like a six pack or shall I just send the whole keg?

Pfft. I don't want a whole keg. I doubt it's that good if you want feedback on it. :))
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    This brings up a good point about shipping. How do you ship beer. Done it before, but all my interweb searching states it is illegal. How does one ship it, especially to a beer comp? Another thread @lakewood