Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (2)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Need Help Brewing Beer?
  • scoobscoob
    Brewing beer or Homebrewing is an endless learning process. I like to think of it as a long walk, from where I am I can look back and see others where I was a while ago.

There is almost no situation or problem that another brewer hasn't experienced and can help out with a resolution or just a word or two to ease your mind.

Go ahead and ask away, If we havent been there already, then we will forge ahead and tackle your problem together and we all learn a bit more.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • TomoLiverTomoLiver
    What Scoob said, Happy to help!
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Feel free to post in here your questions. Mid brew if you need us. 
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Djsethall said:

click on the star off to the right side of the thread puts it on your email notifications. ask me how i know.  b-(
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Test
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Can someone post here OS I can see that the notification works?
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Can someone post in the help  line as a test?
  • C_BC_B
    Bam. right in the kisser.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Help me, my beer is delicious and I don't know what to do!
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Drink it
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Actually, it may be poisoned, send a sample to me for review. Pm me for the address.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    not really a help thing, just want your take on this. i don't make many lagers, i'm an ale man. but sometimes i will whip up a premium american lager for some of my lagery friends.
    anyway, i make this really simple lager, here is the recipe
    6 lbs briess light DME
    1/2 yakima magnum @ 60
    1 oz centennial @ 2
    whirlfloc
    saflager 23 dry yeast

pretty much the most basic recipe in existence. however, i have made this three times and all three times, no airlock activity at all! it doesn't even push the little cup up to the top. it always ferments though. primary ferm temp is 58.
    i know, i know, "your bucket is leaking air", but i have checked that, and checked how the airlock is seated, and switched airlocks. always turns into a decent, basic lager.

thoughts???
  • ThymThym
    If it ferments there is CO2 produced. It has to go somewhere, so it must be escaping somewhere.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i agree. can it phase through the water if it is really slow? some of my ciders do this, very little airlock activity, but i can always see the co2 dissolving in the airlock vodka even though the airlock isn't bubbling.
  • ThymThym

i agree. can it phase through the water if it is really slow? some of my ciders do this, very little airlock activity, but i can always see the co2 dissolving in the airlock vodka even though the airlock isn't bubbling.

If its slow enough it's reasonable to say that could happen. Slightly elevated pressure on the inside, lower on the other will make is dissolve easier on the generating end and diffuse away on the outside.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Sorry, my phone was messed up and not receiving emails.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

If it ferments there is CO2 produced. It has to go somewhere, so it must be escaping somewhere.

i've always been curious about the maximum yeast tolerance for pressure and co2 levels. if i ferment in a keg, when will the yeast die off?
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Water can't be pressurized
  • djsethalldjsethall
    The pressure is in the small gas layer at the top of the keg. IMHO I would never ferment in a cornie keg. Have you seen my fermenter setup?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Djsethall said:

The pressure is in the small gas layer at the top of the keg. IMHO I would never ferment in a cornie keg. Have you seen my fermenter setup?

i use buckets.
  • ThymThym
    Djsethall said:

Water can't be pressurized

not to be critical, but water can be pressurized, it's at the same pressure as the gas layer above it +effects of gravity. Think of a pressure washer, the water in the hose is pressurized, it's at 2200psi or whatever.

I think what you meant is that water can't be compressed, which for all intents and purposes, is true.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    Yeah, thats what I meant
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    how much corn sugar for priming can grolsch style swing tops handle? you think 7 ounces will make them break?
    wanna really carbonate a cyser as much as i can.
  • djsethalldjsethall
    4 ounces to 5 gallons should get you 2.4 volumes. I wouldnt go above 5 ounces per 5 gallons or you get bottle bombs
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    this is the thing though, swing tops are rated to handle 4 volumes, and i want a super carbonated cyser for extra sparkle. what i am trying to figure out is how much corn cugar it takes to get to 4 volumes.
  • jlwjlw

this is the thing though, swing tops are rated to handle 4 volumes, and i want a super carbonated cyser for extra sparkle. what i am trying to figure out is how much corn cugar it takes to get to 4 volumes.

Based on the Tastybrew Calculator it's 8.5 oz to get 4 volumes.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html