Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
anybody heard of these kettles
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    it looks like the brand is Ballington?

pretty decent price, 15 gallon for 170, but unsure about the quality
    http://spikebrewing.com/product_info.php?products_id=55&osCsid=9ffd2e6563551f9cc8fe24947bec51ac
  • ThymThym
    Looks nice to me. The specs sound right for a good kettle that will last. 1mm thickness isn't heavy duty, but treat it with some respect and it should last.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Looks like nice kettles for a decent price. And with the bulkheads already welded....
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i bought the kettle with the thermometer and ball valve. hopefully it doesn't suck. next purchase will be a therminator, but not till mid april.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    so much cheaper making wine!
  • C_BC_B
    Lemme know if they're any good. I might be in the market...
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • LothosLothos
    Therminator™ Stainless Wort Chiller
    Chill 10 gal in 5 min!!
    $199 suggested retail

AWSOME UNIT I HAVE ONE
    BEST INVESTMENT I MADE FOR MY SYSTEM
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    hey lothos, do you use the pump with your therminator? i wasn't planning on buying the pump right away and it says it doesn't have to have one.
  • LothosLothos

hey lothos, do you use the pump with your therminator? i wasn't planning on buying the pump right away and it says it doesn't have to have one.

yes i do use the pump with mine like it says 10 gal in 5 min to 74 deg just using the garden hose to cool it (I'm on a well) for water
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    do you use it in a single pass configuration or do you recirculate your wort through it?
  • LothosLothos
    Lakewood said:

do you use it in a single pass configuration or do you recirculate your wort through it?

Single pass is all i need to reach 74 deg
    if i slow the pump down i can get 62 deg
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Lothos said:

Lakewood said:

Single pass is all i need to reach 74 deg
    if i slow the pump down i can get 62 deg

I actually recirculate to cool the bulk temperature of the cooling wort down faster than going single pass. It improves the effectiveness of the late hop additions. But then again, I don't think i could take 10 gallons single pass to 74 degrees with my tap water in 5 minutes. My tap water usually comes out of the hose at around 70 degrees.

But I can get the entire batch to around 120 degrees in 5 minutes or less, and that halts the isomerization and maintains the flavor.