anybody heard of these kettles
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    it looks like the brand is Ballington?

pretty decent price, 15 gallon for 170, but unsure about the quality
    http://spikebrewing.com/product_info.php?products_id=55&osCsid=9ffd2e6563551f9cc8fe24947bec51ac
  • ThymThym
    Looks nice to me. The specs sound right for a good kettle that will last. 1mm thickness isn't heavy duty, but treat it with some respect and it should last.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Looks like nice kettles for a decent price. And with the bulkheads already welded....
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i bought the kettle with the thermometer and ball valve. hopefully it doesn't suck. next purchase will be a therminator, but not till mid april.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    so much cheaper making wine!
  • C_BC_B
    Lemme know if they're any good. I might be in the market...
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • LothosLothos
    Therminator™ Stainless Wort Chiller
    Chill 10 gal in 5 min!!
    $199 suggested retail

AWSOME UNIT I HAVE ONE
    BEST INVESTMENT I MADE FOR MY SYSTEM
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    hey lothos, do you use the pump with your therminator? i wasn't planning on buying the pump right away and it says it doesn't have to have one.
  • LothosLothos

hey lothos, do you use the pump with your therminator? i wasn't planning on buying the pump right away and it says it doesn't have to have one.

yes i do use the pump with mine like it says 10 gal in 5 min to 74 deg just using the garden hose to cool it (I'm on a well) for water
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    do you use it in a single pass configuration or do you recirculate your wort through it?
  • LothosLothos
    Lakewood said:

do you use it in a single pass configuration or do you recirculate your wort through it?

Single pass is all i need to reach 74 deg
    if i slow the pump down i can get 62 deg
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Lothos said:

Lakewood said:

Single pass is all i need to reach 74 deg
    if i slow the pump down i can get 62 deg

I actually recirculate to cool the bulk temperature of the cooling wort down faster than going single pass. It improves the effectiveness of the late hop additions. But then again, I don't think i could take 10 gallons single pass to 74 degrees with my tap water in 5 minutes. My tap water usually comes out of the hose at around 70 degrees.

But I can get the entire batch to around 120 degrees in 5 minutes or less, and that halts the isomerization and maintains the flavor.