Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Boar's Tusk Alt
  • ceanntceannt
    This is one of my favorite beers. It is not truly “to style” with the late addition hops, but after aging for a couple of months, it becomes more traditional. More of a “Sticke Alt” (but not quite), it also has a higher gravity. Color is always absolutely beautiful, and sparkling clear, in spite of the horrible flocculation of the K-97 yeast. Allow to Primary for at least 4-weeks, preferably 5…. Ferment on the cool side.
    Several people have told me that if this beer was offered at a pub, it would be all they ever drank….

Boar Tusk Alt

(Original Gravity) O.G. = 1.057
    (Final Gravity) F.G. = 1.014
    (Bitterness) IBU = 48
    (Color) SRM = 12
    (Alcohol) APV = 5.5%
    Calories per 12-oz bottle = 184

7-pounds Munich Malt (7L)
    4-pounds Vienna malt
    0.0625-pounds Carafa III

1-oz. Perle Hops-60-min.
    0.5-oz. Spalt Hops-60-min.
    1.5-oz. Spalt Hops 5-min.
    K-97 yeast

Infusion Mash at 152 degrees for 1-hour (1.3 quarts/pound).
    Pull a decoction (approx 1.32 gal) to mash-Out (target 170 degrees); Boil for 15-min. before returning to Mash. Batch sparge twice 3-gal first sparge, 2.5-gal second. I cut my high carbonate water 50/50 with distilled.
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    so then do you add the boar tusk during a secondary, or just toss it in for the last week of primary? :D
  • ceanntceannt
    I just file off some "dust"... and add it at bottling....... works as a clarifier.
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.