Boar's Tusk Alt
  • ceanntceannt
    This is one of my favorite beers. It is not truly “to style” with the late addition hops, but after aging for a couple of months, it becomes more traditional. More of a “Sticke Alt” (but not quite), it also has a higher gravity. Color is always absolutely beautiful, and sparkling clear, in spite of the horrible flocculation of the K-97 yeast. Allow to Primary for at least 4-weeks, preferably 5…. Ferment on the cool side.
    Several people have told me that if this beer was offered at a pub, it would be all they ever drank….

Boar Tusk Alt

(Original Gravity) O.G. = 1.057
    (Final Gravity) F.G. = 1.014
    (Bitterness) IBU = 48
    (Color) SRM = 12
    (Alcohol) APV = 5.5%
    Calories per 12-oz bottle = 184

7-pounds Munich Malt (7L)
    4-pounds Vienna malt
    0.0625-pounds Carafa III

1-oz. Perle Hops-60-min.
    0.5-oz. Spalt Hops-60-min.
    1.5-oz. Spalt Hops 5-min.
    K-97 yeast

Infusion Mash at 152 degrees for 1-hour (1.3 quarts/pound).
    Pull a decoction (approx 1.32 gal) to mash-Out (target 170 degrees); Boil for 15-min. before returning to Mash. Batch sparge twice 3-gal first sparge, 2.5-gal second. I cut my high carbonate water 50/50 with distilled.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    so then do you add the boar tusk during a secondary, or just toss it in for the last week of primary? :D
  • ceanntceannt
    I just file off some "dust"... and add it at bottling....... works as a clarifier.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.