Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Oculus Sinister - Belgian Dubbel
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Think I am going to try this as my next brew (when I get the chance).

My plan will be to try out a Turbid mash for the first time.

35% --- Pilsen
    35% --- Belgian Pale Malt
    12% --- White Wheat
    7% --- Biscuit Malt
    5% --- Crystal 120L
    5% --- Dark Candi Sugar (15 min)
    2.5% --- Torrified wheat

0.5 oz Northern Brewer (9.4%aa) FHW
    0.5 oz Northern Brewer (9.4%aa) 30 min

Yeast --- WLP550

(will start ferm temp at 67 degrees and increase to 72 over first four days).

Was also considering using yeast taken from a bottle of SN Ovila.
    Now that I think about, I also have some PranQster dregs. Ugh, now I am going to be going back and forth on yeast. I could split it up I guess.

Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • C_BC_B
    I just had my first PranQster. Not sure I (personal opinion here) would want that yeast profile. A bit too much orange I think? Now, changing up the grain/hops bill could compensate for that....

I am interested to know that PranQster has yeast in the bottle though...
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    C_B said:

I just had my first PranQster. Not sure I (personal opinion here) would want that yeast profile. A bit too much orange I think? Now, changing up the grain/hops bill could compensate for that....

I am interested to know that PranQster has yeast in the bottle though...

To clarify, the orange I mean is citrus. The aftertaste is like a children's chewable for me.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Pranqster does have a yeast sediment. I read somewhere they actually use two different yeasts, and they use the same yeast at bottling.
    Looking through my bottle dregs I also have some Allagash White dregs.
    Have you ever used WLP550? I am looking for a belgian strain that has a spicy (or peppery) character to it. I guess I am trying stay away from a more fruity character.

Any suggestions from anyone on belgian strains they've tried would be much appreciated. I've got a good saison yeast...
    Hmmm, saison yeast in a dubbel?
  • ThymThym
    first off, let me say, this has got to be in my top 10 for beer names. i would buy this by the truck load just based on the name.

anyway, my experience with the WL belgian strains has been limited to the WLP500 primarily. The 550 claims to be a more spicy/peppery cousin to the 500 which tends to be fruity.

I like the idea of the 550 in this beer.

You didn't state you target OG / FG for this brew.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Evan_B said:

Pranqster does have a yeast sediment. I read somewhere they actually use two different yeasts, and they use the same yeast at bottling.
    Have you ever used WLP550? I am looking for a belgian strain that has a spicy (or peppery) character to it. I guess I am trying stay away from a more fruity character.

Any suggestions from anyone on belgian strains they've tried would be much appreciated. I've got a good saison yeast...

I have not tried either of the White Labs Belgian strains.

However, I prefer fruity to spicy/peppery. So there's that.

I'll defer to Lake on the Belgian topic.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Oculus sinister is the medical term for the left eye. I read it one day and immediately thought it had to be a beer name.

I knew I forgot something...

3.25 gal batch

OG - 1.068
    FG - 1.010 (ideally)

Haven't actually done the math for the IBUs yet, but am shooting for a BU:GU ratio of 0.3
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Oculus sinister is the medical term for the left eye. I read it one day and immediately thought it had to be a beer name.

3.25 gal batch

OG - 1.068
    FG - 1.010 (ideally)

Haven't actually done the math for the IBUs yet, but am shooting for a BU:GU ratio of 0.3

yeah, i think 550 would work really well in this. really well. and the name fits.

where's my truck load?
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

3.25 gal batch

OG - 1.068
    FG - 1.010 (ideally)

yeah, i think 550 would work really well in this. really well. and the name fits.

where's my truck load?

I need to brew it first! Also, "truck load" will have a loose interpretation.
  • C_BC_B
    Evan_B said:

but am shooting for a BU:GU ratio of 0.3

I think you and I could hang out.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

3.25 gal batch

OG - 1.068
    FG - 1.010 (ideally)

where's my truck load?

C_B
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Evan_B said:

T-58.
    http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFBT58.pdf

nice and peppery.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • ceanntceannt
    I second the "peppery" yeast ...
    I would think about switching the biscuit to aromatic malt .... and bumping up the sugar to 10 or 12%
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ceanntceannt
    Some suggestions ....
    Mash low for attenuation ...
    Pick up one of the "big" bottles of Chimey Red ....
    It is the most recognized version of the style ... and will let you know what you are shooting for .... also, you can culture the yeast
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt
    BTW .... I freaking love the name you came up with for this!
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ignore the old man. i like a little body in a dubbel.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

sounds like a stout.
  • ceanntceannt

Ha! So do I ... but I am a firm believer that the first time you brew a new style to do it as traditionally and as close to "on style" as you can .... so you understand it .... then tweak it to taste on subsequent batches
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

sounds like a stout.

That would be oculus nigrum
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    ceannt said:

Ha! So do I ... but I am a firm believer that the first time you brew a new style to do it as traditionally and as close to "on style" as you can .... so you understand it .... then tweak it to taste on subsequent batches

In the spirit of traditionalism I am planning a Turbid mash, which was used until 1885, while Belgian breweries were taxed based on the size of their mash tun. The result was brewers keeping very small tuns and using the very very very very very thick turbid mash.
    Turbid mashes are still practiced among some Lambic brewers, as the turbid mash provides the wort with some proteins and longer polysaccharide chains for the wild yeast and bacteria to chew on.

Ditto

ceannt said:

At some point I will have to design a recipe as this one's "evil twin" and name it Oculus dexter.

• Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

3.25 gal batch

OG - 1.068
    FG - 1.010 (ideally)

where's my truck load?

Hahaha, thats what I was thinking. I shouldn't have a problem filling that truck.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

3.25 gal batch

OG - 1.068
    FG - 1.010 (ideally)

where's my truck load?

Hahaha, thats what I was thinking. I shouldn't have a problem filling that truck.

yeah, i remember you are into the small batches. How big is your fermenter again? 11oz?
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

3.25 gal batch

OG - 1.068
    FG - 1.010 (ideally)

where's my truck load?

yeah, i remember you are into the small batches. How big is your fermenter again? 11oz?

I have actually been able to move up in the world. Growlette - 32 ounces, woot woot!!!!
  • ceanntceannt
    I love that you are doing a Turbid mash on this... only suggesting you keep the temp down in the 149 or so range
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt
    can't wait to see what you come up with for the "right eye" version.....
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    ceannt said:

I love that you are doing a Turbid mash on this... only suggesting you keep the temp down in the 149 or so range

Being the first time trying a turbid mash, I am sure my temps will be swinging wildly somewhere between 190 and 55. I am going to TRY and hold my sacch. rest at 149-150.