Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (2)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Cdiggledubb's brew queue 'n stuff
  • C_BC_B
    Ima start a list. Because I'm trying to sort out an off flavor that I might have narrowed down. And everything is more important on the internet.

I bought a pump last year and hooked it up. The first three brews after the pump were Kenny's Irish Red Ale that was close to a failure. I didn't get the FG down far enough and it had a severe off flavor. Next was the Pale Ale that turned out very good but still had the off flavor. The third then is the chocolate oatmeal stout. It is epic yummy and I can't taste a bit of off flavor, but my palette is not as sensitive as others. I might send a bit of it around to get another opinion.
    Before the pump I had an Imperial IPA that was dumpable good and a double chocolate stout that had this same off flavor but had enough else going on in the beer to cover it up for the most part.
    I haven't actually found or fixed/eradicated the problem. I've been told mold maybe. From what I've read the kettle ball valve can be a real problem, especially when hot wort isn't recirculated. Now with the pump I am recirculating for the last 5-10 minutes of the boil. I think that is why the off flavor has gone to nearly nothing in this most recent batch. I want to brew something light in an effort to get it to come through if it is still a problem.

So I was going to do this...

Centennial IPA
    Big Bad Barleywine
    Hefe or Wit
    Dryish Stout.

Since none of those really are terribly light... I think I'll drop the Barleywine down the list until I'm sure I can make it yummy with no infection. Ima do the IPA first fo shizzle.

What should I do that is light and relatively clean? Light isn't really my bag...
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    make a blonde. they are quick, easy and cheap. yes, i'm talking about beer still.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

make a blonde. they are quick, easy and cheap. yes, i'm talking about beer still.

I might just try that. I'll prolly only want 5 gallons though...
  • ceanntceannt
    You might want to rethink doing the IPA first ..... the hops might make it harder to pick up any off flavors .....
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ceanntceannt
    Something along the lines of an AltBier maybe?
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt
    Or perhaps you could try the IRA again .......

And do it right this time ......
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    blonde, kolsch, cream ale. they're not my favorite beers, but if you're trying to nail down an off flavor, they're perfect. not a whole lot of malt or hops to cover anything up and they're cheap enough that dumping the batch isn't that much of a financial hit.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • ThymThym

blonde, kolsch, cream ale. they're not my favorite beers, but if you're trying to nail down an off flavor, they're perfect. not a whole lot of malt or hops to cover anything up and they're cheap enough that dumping the batch isn't that much of a financial hit.

yup, with a yeast re-pitch it's like $20 for 10 gallons
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

You might want to rethink doing the IPA first ..... the hops might make it harder to pick up any off flavors .....

The first one is because I want beer now. The off flavor will have to take a backseat to the pipeline.
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

I don't have time to find three virgins and a goat.
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

ceannt said:

I don't have time to find three virgins and a goat.

Wimp ...
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • C_BC_B
    With the Centennial done I might have to skip the Barleywine for now. No room in the ferm chamber. Maybe then a hefe if I het time to brew this week? Do that basement floor style. It'll still hit 75*. Maybe even 80* in the bucket.
  • ceanntceannt
    OK ... a suggestion for your basement floor ....
    do a Peetermann ... hope I got the spelling right ...
    Its like a dark wit ...
    pilsner malt ... wheat malt ... a bit of munich and chocolate wheat ... double the hops of a normal wit ... and add a touch of cloves and cinnamon with the coriander
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh.... should be a good bit stronger than a normal wit too ... O.G. up in the 50s
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Its like a dark wit ...
    pilsner malt ... wheat malt ... a bit of munich and chocolate wheat ... double the hops of a normal wit ... and add a touch of cloves and cinnamon with the coriander

That sounds good.
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

ceannt said:

Its like a dark wit ...

That sounds good.

I think so.... been on my "going to brew this one of these days" list for a long time.....
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • C_BC_B
    I'm still feeling wit/wheat/hefe/something along these lines. Then back to the Barleywine. Should have some monies for a brewday weekend after next. Maybe weekend after weekend after next.
  • ceanntceannt
    ceannt said:

Its like a dark wit ...

@C_B
    I'm too lazy to retype all this in "that other thread "
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

Its like a dark wit ...

@C _B
    I'm too lazy to retype all this in "that other thread "

Ok.

Huh?

The 75* degree temp thread?

Whatevs. What yeast to use with this? I'll put up a build thread in a bit. If I'm brewing this Sunday then I need to get the ingredients ASAP.
  • ceanntceannt
    Either a wit or German wheat yeast ... the Belgian wit might be best ....
    Or even S-33
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • C_BC_B
    So the Centennial is in the books. I'll keg that this week sometime. then the buckets shall be ready for the Peetermann. Then I must do the Barleywine after that. That ought to put me out around the middle of August at the earliest. I may have to wait on that one a bit longer. I'll want to set up the ferm chamber as it is now.
  • C_BC_B
    Centennial is kegged. Ingredients for the Peetermann are on hand. I need to get the barleywine going after that. Then Lake's wit maybe. Depending on timing there I might go with an ordinary bitter utilizing these WGV I have on hand. Here's lookin' at you Kenny.
  • ceanntceannt
    C_B said:

Centennial is kegged. Ingredients for the Peetermann are on hand. I need to get the barleywine going after that. Then Lake's wit maybe. Depending on timing there I might go with an ordinary bitter utilizing these WGV I have on hand. Here's lookin' at you Kenny.

I be watching ....
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • C_BC_B
    Peeterman is in the buckets. I'd like to think I'll I can brew again before I head out on vaca, but that's a tight schedule and puts young beer alone in the house [-X so maybe I'll target post vacation. My pipeline is looking pretty good so I think it looks like this
    Barleywine
    Snow Storm Wit
    WGV ordinary bitter
    Something stouty.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    you need a babysitter for you fermenters.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    someone that lives in say, illinois, and would promise not to steal all your beer and drink it. O:-)