Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)


Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
The contested definition of "IPA"
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,217
    GET OUT OF MY THREAD!

    But surriously this needed to go somewhere else because this debate will rage on.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 99,304
    Hops
    Use Time OZ Hop Variety AA » IBU
    FWH 20 min 1 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 13.3
    boil 20 min 1.75 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 23.3
    boil 15 min 1 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 10.9
    boil 5 min 2 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 8.8
    boil 1 min 3 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 2.8

    59.1 IBU

    no comprende
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,217
    Lakewood said:

    Hops
    Use Time OZ Hop Variety AA » IBU
    FWH 20 min 1 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 13.3
    boil 20 min 1.75 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 23.3
    boil 15 min 1 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 10.9
    boil 5 min 2 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 8.8
    boil 1 min 3 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 2.8

    59.1 IBU

    no comprende


    What? The 11.5 is the AA of the hops and the last number is the IBUs from that addition.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 99,304
    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    Hops
    Use Time OZ Hop Variety AA » IBU
    FWH 20 min 1 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 13.3
    boil 20 min 1.75 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 23.3
    boil 15 min 1 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 10.9
    boil 5 min 2 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 8.8
    boil 1 min 3 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 2.8

    59.1 IBU

    no comprende


    What? The 11.5 is the AA of the hops and the last number is the IBUs from that addition.


    59.1 IBU IPA... it's like a 13 SRM porter..
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,217
    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    Hops
    Use Time OZ Hop Variety AA » IBU
    FWH 20 min 1 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 13.3
    boil 20 min 1.75 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 23.3
    boil 15 min 1 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 10.9
    boil 5 min 2 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 8.8
    boil 1 min 3 Centennial ~ leaf 11.5 » 2.8

    59.1 IBU

    no comprende


    What? The 11.5 is the AA of the hops and the last number is the IBUs from that addition.
    59.1 IBU IPA... it's like a 13 SRM porter..

    . It's actually about 70+ IBUs. The first wort hop is calculated at 20 minutes so the calculation is skewed.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 99,304
    Why is the FWH calcuated at 20min?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 45,611
    Lakewood said:

    Why is the FWH calcuated at 20min?



    because the actual 'measured' ibu value is much higher than the perceived bitterness.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 45,611
    Lakewood said:


    59.1 IBU IPA... it's like a 13 SRM porter..



    quiet you.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 45,611
    malt is king!
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,217

    Lakewood said:

    Why is the FWH calcuated at 20min?



    because the actual 'measured' ibu value is much higher than the perceived bitterness.

    This seems to be the 'consensus' among people who know more than I do.

    I think we have a thread on it...
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,217

    Lakewood said:


    59.1 IBU IPA... it's like a 13 SRM porter..



    quiet you.

    Ha!

    malt is king!


    yes.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,217
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 99,304
    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    Why is the FWH calcuated at 20min?



    because the actual 'measured' ibu value is much higher than the perceived bitterness.

    This seems to be the 'consensus' among people who know more than I do.

    I think we have a thread on it...


    Exactly, so don't claim 70 ibu when it is 59.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,217
    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    Why is the FWH calcuated at 20min?



    because the actual 'measured' ibu value is much higher than the perceived bitterness.

    This seems to be the 'consensus' among people who know more than I do.

    I think we have a thread on it...


    Exactly, so don't claim 70 ibu when it is 59.


    That's your problem? You hop head wackos are all, well, wackos. Any minute now Fry should pop in and tell me that no way does 59 IBUs constitute an IPA.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 45,611
    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    Why is the FWH calcuated at 20min?



    because the actual 'measured' ibu value is much higher than the perceived bitterness.

    This seems to be the 'consensus' among people who know more than I do.

    I think we have a thread on it...


    Exactly, so don't claim 70 ibu when it is 59.


    That's your problem? You hop head wackos are all, well, wackos.


    correct.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Posts: 44,679
    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    Why is the FWH calcuated at 20min?



    because the actual 'measured' ibu value is much higher than the perceived bitterness.

    This seems to be the 'consensus' among people who know more than I do.

    I think we have a thread on it...


    Exactly, so don't claim 70 ibu when it is 59.


    yup
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 99,304
    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    Why is the FWH calcuated at 20min?



    because the actual 'measured' ibu value is much higher than the perceived bitterness.

    This seems to be the 'consensus' among people who know more than I do.

    I think we have a thread on it...


    Exactly, so don't claim 70 ibu when it is 59.


    That's your problem? You hop head wackos are all, well, wackos. Any minute now Fry should pop in and tell me that no way does 59 IBUs constitute an IPA.


    It's just a pale ale. But that's ok, you're new here.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Posts: 44,679
    59 doesn't constitute an IPA though.

    next week i am going to make an english bitter, it's gonna be 8% abv, lots of black patent malt and have 98 ibu's.....that make sense to everybody.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 46,273

    59 doesn't constitute an IPA though.

    next week i am going to make an english bitter, it's gonna be 8% abv, lots of black patent malt and have 98 ibu's.....that make sense to everybody.



    no
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • BenSBenS
    Posts: 6,248
    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    Why is the FWH calcuated at 20min?



    because the actual 'measured' ibu value is much higher than the perceived bitterness.

    This seems to be the 'consensus' among people who know more than I do.

    I think we have a thread on it...


    Exactly, so don't claim 70 ibu when it is 59.


    That's your problem? You hop head wackos are all, well, wackos. Any minute now Fry should pop in and tell me that no way does 59 IBUs constitute an IPA.


    It's just a pale ale. But that's ok, you're new here.


    59 IBUs is most definately an IPA. Just because hop heads have destroyed their palate over the years, doesn't mean they are correct. Hop addiction seems to be the worse addiction.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 76,217
    BenS said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    Why is the FWH calcuated at 20min?



    because the actual 'measured' ibu value is much higher than the perceived bitterness.

    This seems to be the 'consensus' among people who know more than I do.

    I think we have a thread on it...


    Exactly, so don't claim 70 ibu when it is 59.


    That's your problem? You hop head wackos are all, well, wackos. Any minute now Fry should pop in and tell me that no way does 59 IBUs constitute an IPA.


    It's just a pale ale. But that's ok, you're new here.


    59 IBUs is most definately an IPA. Just because hop heads have destroyed their palate over the years, doesn't mean they are correct. Hop addiction seems to be the worse addiction.


    Finally someone with some sense.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 99,304
    BenS said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    C_dubbs said:

    Lakewood said:

    Why is the FWH calcuated at 20min?



    because the actual 'measured' ibu value is much higher than the perceived bitterness.

    This seems to be the 'consensus' among people who know more than I do.

    I think we have a thread on it...


    Exactly, so don't claim 70 ibu when it is 59.


    That's your problem? You hop head wackos are all, well, wackos. Any minute now Fry should pop in and tell me that no way does 59 IBUs constitute an IPA.


    It's just a pale ale. But that's ok, you're new here.


    59 IBUs is most definately an IPA. Just because hop heads have destroyed their palate over the years, doesn't mean they are correct. Hop addiction seems to be the worse addiction.


    The bud light of ipas ;)
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 46,273
    Funny thing is ..... what we call an IPA ....
    Is like calling the HP copier a xerox machine ... or calling the giant brand tissues Kleenex .....
    The only beers still made today that can legitimately be called an India Pale Ale are both less than 60 IBU ..... one of em is more like 45
    The IPA is less a style ... and more a function of who it was made for and where it was shipped .... and unless it was made for brit soldiers and sent by sail to India ... it ain't an IPA
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 46,273
    I have long thought that EPA (extreme pale ale) would be a more fitting name ... but somebody already used the letters ....
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 45,611
    ceannt said:

    I have long thought that EPA (extreme pale ale) would be a more fitting name ... but somebody already used the letters ....



    double pale ale.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 99,304
    ceannt said:

    Funny thing is ..... what we call an IPA ....
    Is like calling the HP copier a xerox machine ... or calling the giant brand tissues Kleenex .....
    The only beers still made today that can legitimately be called an India Pale Ale are both less than 60 IBU ..... one of em is more like 45
    The IPA is less a style ... and more a function of who it was made for and where it was shipped .... and unless it was made for brit soldiers and sent by sail to India ... it ain't an IPA



    All true. But irrelevant. If it doesn't make your tongue shrivel up and die its not an ipa. Love live the hops!
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny