Great Arizona Homebrew Competition
  • ThymThym
    Brewmeisters Anonymous is pleased to announce the Great Arizona Homebrew Competition will be held on April 20th and April 21st, 2013. It is our hope and our goal that this event will lead to the greater understanding, the greater enjoyment, and the greater quality of homebrewed beer, mead and cider for all who participate.

Brewing at home allows us the freedom to make any beverage we are brave enough to attempt. Many home brewers begin their foray into brewing content with any product that resembles the intended beverage. With greater experience in brewing, we gain the confidence and ability to brew with greater predictability in our results.

Good beer is a pleasure to drink, regardless of its style. For home brewers who are content with making delicious beverages that don’t necessarily conform to any style, we say “Cheers!” If you are a brewer who wants the challenge of brewing to a particular style, we invite you to brew and enter your beer in the Great Arizona Homebrew Competition. All Mead, Perry, and Cider will be automatically transferred to the Arizona Mead Cup.

For those who are new to the idea of homebrew competitions here is a bit of what goes on. Judges are gathered that are familiar with traditional styles of beer. In groups of two to four, they taste all of the entries in a particular style category and determine among themselves which ones most closely represents the style. The three that represent the style the closest are given first, second and third place for that style. There are twenty-three (23) beer style categories. The style categories are defined by the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) dated 2008 and can be found at www.bjcp.org. Each entry is given a score and several of the best scoring beverages from all the categories are compared to determine the Best of Show (BOS), Second, and third are all determined by the judges. The judges score sheet is returned to the brewer, it lists the judges’ evaluation and comments so you know how your product faired.

Why enter the Great Arizona Homebrew Competition? Bragging rights the sense of accomplishment from a brew well-made and the prizes. The top three entries in each category will be awarded medals and other prizes.

Mailed entries will be accepted through April 11th. For important details and restrictions, please see the Brewmeisters Anonymous website at http://www.brewarizona.org or write to:

• Brewmeisters Anonymous
    Great Arizona Homebrew Competition
    16307 N. 164th Ln.
    Surprise, AZ 85388-1127

Questions mailto: wn45@ymail.com

Thanks and Happy Brewing

Entries can be shipped to What Ales Ya and dropped at the following locations:

What Ale’s Ya
    6363 W. Bell Road
    Glendale, AZ 85308

Hops & Tannins
    4220 W. Summit Walk Ct.
    Anthem, AZ 85086
    623-551-9857 Brewers Connection
    1425 E. University
    Tempe, AZ 85281

Brew Your Own Brew
    525 E. Baseline Rd.
    Gilbert, AZ 85233
    480-497-0011

Entries can be dropped at the following Tucson locations:

Brew Your Own Brew
    2564 N. Campbell Ave.
    Tucson, AZ 85719
    520-322-5049 Brewers Connection
    4500 East Speedway Blvd #38
    Tucson, AZ
    520-881-0255

Entries can be dropped at the following Prescott location:

Mile Hi Brewing Supplies
    125 North Cortez Street
    Prescott, AZ 86301
    928-237-9029

The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Are you involved in this or just passing along? I want to start entering comps. I don't care about the medals, basically because I'm sure to not win any, but would love official feedback, and the price of entry and shipping would be worth it. New thread maybe?
  • scoobscoob
    Benvarine said:

Are you involved in this or just passing along? I want to start entering comps. I don't care about the medals, basically because I'm sure to not win any, but would love official feedback, and the price of entry and shipping would be worth it. New thread maybe?

I have entered this comp a few times, great organization, and a rather large comp with loads of entries so there will be some ranking judges there as usual so the feedback is always pretty good.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

I dont think i'll be submitting anything, but if you do, remember to indicate that you are a member of HBF United (Our registered brew club name)

I really do recommend sending something in, it's a great way to get some professional feedback.
  • scoobscoob
    And for the mead gods here, AZ-IPA always medals in the mead category. Show him what's up!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

And for the mead gods here, AZ-IPA always medals in the mead category. Show him what's up!

Ohhh it's on motha fugga. Fry bottle some of your sh!t and send it to me, I know you're morally opposed to comps, but I'll handle that side.
  • jlwjlw
    Hey AZ, do you think the Wee is good enough for a comp?
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

From the descriptions, I'd say that's a solid yes.
  • scoobscoob
    jlw said:

I would enter it yes, clarity isn't quite there, but shoot for the moon!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    And for the record, I never worry if a beer is good enough, use the comps as a learning tool. That way you get honest feedback, though compared against BJCP guidelines. With this in mind the worst case is you learn where to focus your brewing efforts to improve the final product, best case you get a medal to collect dust with.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob
    If I have a beer that sucks somehow, has a flaw I'm trying to figure out, I will send one off to a comp and let them identify the flaw for me.

Sent in a beer that had issues, my score sheets pointed to an infection that I later pinpointed to an auto siphon with ook in part that doesn't come apart for cleaning.

Thankful for the info, despite the score of 18 out of 50.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

If I have a beer that sucks somehow, has a flaw I'm trying to figure out, I will send one off to a comp and let them identify the flaw for me.

Sent in a beer that had issues, my score sheets pointed to an infection that I later pinpointed to an auto siphon with ook in part that doesn't come apart for cleaning.

Thankful for the info, despite the score of 18 out of 50.

This.