Anyone use a Lauter Grant?
  • ThymThym
    This isn't a very common piece of equipment in the homebrewers arsenal from what I can tell. I'm wondering if anyone uses one.

If you do, is it something you built or did you buy a pre-fabricated grant?

The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ceanntceannt
    Nope .... don't use one
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ThymThym
    Anyone?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    nope.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    I do not. But I think I'd like to. I like the idea of letting the lauter tun drain as opposed to pulling the wort out. However, a ton of homebrewers hook their pump straight to the MLT without any problems.... And if using a march or chugger pump like most homebrews they won't create suction anyway... So if I do implement one it'll probably be because I want to make my equipment more complicated.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    seems unnecessary for most situations, and so simple that you'd just call it "that bucket", rather than a Lauter Grant. But I guess if you really must you can drain you maischbottich into a lauter grant.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    C_dubbs said:

I do not. But I think I'd like to. I like the idea of letting the lauter tun drain as opposed to pulling the wort out. However, a ton of homebrewers hook their pump straight to the MLT without any problems.... And if using a march or chugger pump like most homebrews they won't create suction anyway... So if I do implement one it'll probably be because I want to make my equipment more complicated.

It's a misconception the a running chugger or march does not create suction. They do in fact generate negative pressure when running. While it's true they are not self priming, once they are primed they do move fluid with suction on the inlet.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_dubbs said:

It's a misconception the a running chugger or march does not create suction. They do in fact generate negative pressure when running. While it's true they are not self priming, once they are primed they do move fluid with suction on the inlet.

I stand corrected. I should have put more thought into that post.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    I've seen that statement on other forums too, so I don't assume it's just you. It just a confusion between the ability to self prime and generate suction.