Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Green chile and cheddar cheese cornbread
  • scoobscoob
    1 cup butter

3/4 cup sugar

4 eggs

3/4 cup green chili, diced (one 8 oz can of hot diced hatch green chiles)

1 1/2 cups cream-style corn

1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

1 cup flour

1 cup yellow cornmeal

2 tablespoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 325 degree f.

2) Cream butter and sugar.

3) Add eggs slowly, one at a time.

4) Add chiles, corn and cheese, mixing well to incorporate.

5) Sift together dry ingredients, then add and mix until smooth.

6) Pour into well-buttered, square 9 inch pan and bake about 1 hour

This is what should be a close approximation to the cornbread at the Fuego Bistro restaurant here in Phoenix , after much bugging last night I was told by the chef that their recipe is a basic scratch cornbread recipe with creamed corn, they add shredded cheddar and green chiles to it, the cheddar flavor is subtle so I imagine there is not a ton in it, might be good if the cheddar was upped to 3/4 cup or a full cup. But it might throw off the wet to dry ratio and result in a mushy cornbread.

So here is a good start point, I'm going to make some midweek with a cup of cheddar and see how it turns out, then I can adjust this recipe and add tasting notes.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    looks good. i love me some cornbread. i usually cook mine in a skillet. it adds a really nice crispy crust to the bottom.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • scoobscoob
    Cast iron skillet is the only way to go! I pilfered a few small ones from a restaurant out here, enough cornbread for two people, and I also nicked the wooden plates they sit in, perfect for serving fresh from the oven to the table.
    Jesus didn't wear pants