Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (2)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Bum Wine
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i have a 3 gallon better bottle that's been sitting completely empty for a long time now and i'd like to make some cheapo bum wine in it.

what should i use? it's going to have to be store bought juice, as i don't have a press or grapes or any other fruit for that matter.

i was thinkin maybe get some grape juice and mix in a little cherry juice, or pom, blueberry, ect?

whacha think? if it sucks i can always use it for cooking, works great in my water smoker.

"Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    or would a white wine be easier/tastier from store juice? maybe add some pears to the white grape juice cans. sounds ok, but will it work?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i'm prepared to store this hooch for a long while to make the flavor less prison-y than i expect it to taste when it's fermented out.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Don't forget, needs to be cheap!
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    just grab the cheapest juice you want, pitch 71-B or K1V yeast, have ec-1118 on hand in case of a stall or if it just doesn't drop it as low as you want, then let 'er rip.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    it won't be prison-y at all, that flavor comes from crappy yeast
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    cool. so which one should be ready quicker, a red or a white?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    generally a white if you're talking grape juice.
    aerate gently on 2 and 5th days of ferment and keep the ferm temp low, like 60, for fastest drinkability and flavor.
  • JerryJerry
    Frozen concentrate juice is the way to go if cheap is the name of the game. Apple and sugar make a drink worth getting drunk on. Grape is good too. If you like dry (and lazy) just start with the ec-1118, just make sure it's cool and has enough nutrients, i've gotten some nasty crap from that yeast (ethyl-acetate) .

If you're going for more of a Night Train make it with (by sugar content) 60% grape/40% white sugar. Add sulfates then freeze concentrate and back sweeten with more grape juice concentrate (to taste).
  • JerryJerry
    I made some crap wine with apple juice concentrate and sugar. It didn't turn out so good, so I though I'd concentrate it and back sweeten. It's still the the freezer.... I should do something with that, it's taking up a lot of space.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

If you're going for more of a Night Train make it with (by sugar content) 60% grape/40% white sugar. Add sulfates then freeze concentrate and back sweeten with more grape juice concentrate (to taste).

no. just, no.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

no. just, no.

yeah, why even bother. just buy the cheap 4 dollar a bottle vodka and dump in some grape juice. cheaper overall and kill you just as fast!
  • ceanntceannt
    This thread gives me a roaring headache just reading it
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

This thread gives me a roaring headache just reading it

so you're saying you want a bottle? ;)
  • JerryJerry

no. just, no.

You said bum wine, if I knew how to make Thunderbird I'd let you know, but I just can't figure out how something clear can turn the inside of your mouth black.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

no. just, no.

You said bum wine, if I knew how to make Thunderbird I'd let you know, but I just can't figure out how something clear can turn the inside of your mouth black.

heroin.
  • JerryJerry

no. just, no.

heroin.

No, that's expensive, it must be something like lighter fluid, or antifreeze.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

no. just, no.

heroin.

No, that's expensive, it must be something like lighter fluid, or antifreeze.

maybe expensive around you....
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    so i finally got my yeast for this. going to put it all together this week or weekend.
  • JerryJerry

so i finally got my yeast for this. going to put it all together this week or weekend.

Turbo yeast?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    nope.
  • JerryJerry

nope.

well that's good.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    bum wine has been racked to secondaries. now to wait a bit....
  • bum wine has been racked to secondaries. now to wait a bit....

I'm interested to see how this turns out
  • morsmors
    This sounds terrible... Though I will admit I did make a batch of 'mead' using nothing but table sugar to create about 9% dry booze (with nutrient additions like I was making a mead.) I then back sweetened the stuff with some orange blossom honey. This created an excellent tasting 'mead'.... lol.

It all came about because I was reading alot of things from people that encouraged making mead with really cheap honey and then just back sweetening with good honey. So I logically deduced that table sugar should work too... it did...
    BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
    Cicerone Certified Beer Server
    AHA Member
    CRAFT Homebrew Club
    Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
    HBT "mors"
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    mors said:

This sounds terrible... Though I will admit I did make a batch of 'mead' using nothing but table sugar to create about 9% dry booze (with nutrient additions like I was making a mead.) I then back sweetened the stuff with some orange blossom honey. This created an excellent tasting 'mead'.... lol.

It all came about because I was reading alot of things from people that encouraged making mead with really cheap honey and then just back sweetening with good honey. So I logically deduced that table sugar should work too... it did...

yay for hooch! i tasted both the red and white when i racked them. meh.

neither is great, nor are they bad. i'm pretty sure they could benefit from some acid addition and some oak for the red, but i'm not going to do anything until they've sat around for a while longer.