Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (2)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Hop Garden Q&A
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    As you might infer from the title, this is a thread about growing hops. Feel free to post your questions about growing and harvesting your hops.

I'll kick things off with a problem that's recently come up with my bines. I noticed a bit of holes where bugs have been eating my hop leaves. What should I put on them to discourage the insects from munching my plants? Soapy water? Something else?
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    @frydogbrews and @benvarine whatcha think?
  • LothosLothos
    yes soapy water in a spray bottle and douse the plant
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Why do my bines grow good for a short while then just halt? Ive tried growing hops a couple times and this is the same result each time.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JerryJerry
    Lakewood said:

Why do my bines grow good for a short while then just halt? Ive tried growing hops a couple times and this is the same result each time.

I'd suggest some soil testing. Hops need lots of nutrients, good drainage (a bit sandy soil), and a pH of about 6.5. Also getting lots of light is important. A bag of cow poop might fix your problem.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • JerryJerry

As you might infer from the title, this is a thread about growing hops. Feel free to post your questions about growing and harvesting your hops.

I'll kick things off with a problem that's recently come up with my bines. I noticed a bit of holes where bugs have been eating my hop leaves. What should I put on them to discourage the insects from munching my plants? Soapy water? Something else?

First step it to identify the bugs. Many don't like soapy water, but you may be better with some garlic oil, vegetable oil or neem oil. I've had problems with caterpillars this year but I've just picked them off by hand and nothing has got too bad yet.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

I'd suggest some soil testing. Hops need lots of nutrients, good drainage (a bit sandy soil), and a pH of about 6.5. Also getting lots of light is important. A bag of cow poop might fix your problem.

I'll buy some poop this weekend.
  • LothosLothos
    my hops are going crazy

will post a pic tomorrow
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ceanntceannt

Lakewood said:

I have the same problem ... and my soil is 25% composted manure .....
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ThymThym
    ceannt said:

Lakewood said:

I have the same problem ... and my soil is 25% composted manure .....

Sounds like I'm back to square one
  • JerryJerry
    Test it, if the pH is way off plants can't absorb the stuff they need.
    Also drainage/watering can mess things up too. To get a good root system it's good to let them get a little dry so they grow big and deep to find water. If you're growing in clay or with lots of humus (compost) and watering often they don't need to grow to get the water.
    I've had good luck with planting them about 8" deep and not watering at all unless it doesn't rain for more than a week and a half (unless it's very hot or dry). My soil is more on the clay end of things, but with a good amount of humus, and a pH of 6.5.
    Also remember first year plants don't need to be impressive, they just need to grow. Third year is when you get a good yield, first year you're just getting a good root system.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • BenvarineBenvarine

First step it to identify the bugs. Many don't like soapy water, but you may be better with some garlic oil, vegetable oil or neem oil. I've had problems with caterpillars this year but I've just picked them off by hand and nothing has got too bad yet.

Definitely find out what the bugs are. It will determine what to use to kill them. Also, decide if you want to stick to organic or not. I don't so lots of products out there at your garden store. Also determine if the product you use is systemic or simply kills insects on contact. If it is systemic be sure the chemical will not end up in the fruit which will end up in your beer. It depends on the chemical and timing of application. Since hops will not be listed on the label, check with the university extension office from a state in the pacific northwest. They have info available.
  • LothosLothos
    UPDATE HOP TRELLIS

they are moving right along
    Picture.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 1M
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    looks good. i definitely need to get mine out of buckets next year. they just don't have the nutrients to get enough bines up and producing.
  • LothosLothos
    here i edited it
    Picture.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 422K
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ceanntceannt
    Mine are not even up to your labels ......
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt
    Makes me mad ....... even though the storm Friday would have taken them out if they had been that tall.......
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • LothosLothos
    my centenials arent doing so good this year only got 2 or 3 vines on the string last year i had 6 to 7 and got a pound off it its going to be a small crop this year
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • JerryJerry
    ceannt said:

Don't put a label on your failures.
    Maybe it would do better if you planted in in the bed of your truck.
    What's your soil like down there? Clay, sand, loam? And how often have you been watering?
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • JerryJerry
    Also, to all of you guys having problems; I've found it quite helpful to "mound" them. You can do this by cutting a trench all the way around them 18-24" from the stem about a foot deep, (width of a shovel works, more is fine, less is hard to pull off). This keeps them from getting too soupy when it rains. If they are very small or just panted I'd recommend a smaller mound, like 24" dia. but you don't want to cut them up if the have roots out there.
    "Again?"
    CurlyFat's 60,000th post
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

What's your soil like down there? Clay, sand, loam? And how often have you been watering?

Silty clay loam
    added some sand, compost and a lot of composted manure ......
    only water when they look like they need it....... I think the biggest problem is they don't get full sun all day...... they miss n hour in the morning and a couple in late afternoon
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

If I had lumber racks I would plant them in my truck ...... how cool would that be.....
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

If I had lumber racks I would plant them in my truck ...... how cool would that be.....

if you could shield them from the wind, they would be the coolest truck upgrade ever. imagine ordering a beer, and grabbing a few fresh cones from the bed to plunk into it.
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

if you could shield them from the wind, they would be the coolest truck upgrade ever. imagine ordering a beer, and grabbing a few fresh cones from the bed to plunk into it.

Kind of what I was thinking ....

In wine there is wisdom.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    alright, i finally caught the jerks in action. i can only assume that these are the culprits:
    DSC00353.JPG
    2592 x 1944 - 1M
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i sprayed my bines with soapy water, only to have it rain about an hour later. #-o