Disassemble, Cleaning and Sanitizing a Cornelius Style Keg
  • djsethalldjsethall
    And there we have it. We have accomplished our goals of cleaning  and sanitizing a cornie keg and finishing off that really good homebrew

• jlwjlw
    Nice. I like especially like the progression of the beer.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    That's good stuff and I don't even keg yet. I have a question re: star san. Directions say no rinse, but the foam has always given me trouble. Especially with a carboy, it is hard to get the foam out of a carboy, I end up rinsing over and over. Is that an issue with sanitizing or is that standard?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Benvarine said:

That's good stuff and I don't even keg yet. I have a question re: star san. Directions say no rinse, but the foam has always given me trouble. Especially with a carboy, it is hard to get the foam out of a carboy, I end up rinsing over and over. Is that an issue with sanitizing or is that standard?

this freaked me out to. i used all "one step" sanitizer for years, but switched to star san 6 months ago or so.
    thankfully, homebrewforums members convinced me that star san foam is no big deal at all since it is mostly air. now i just shake it decently to get a decent amount of the foam out and go about my business.
    had to troubles whatsoever from the foam
  • C_BC_B
    According to Five Star, the foam breaks down into what amounts to yeast nutrients. Even the tiny bit of yeast left in whatever beer you are putting into a keg should still consume the tiny bit of star san foam left.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • djsethalldjsethall
    I will leave some in the bottom of the keg, say 1/4 to 1/2 cup or so. When I am ready to keg, I give the keg one last shake as a final sanitizing step. Dump her out, fill her up and give her hard gas.
  • LothosLothos
    i use ioda 4 for my kegs and carboy's
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    i assume you mean idophor :)
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    djsethall said:

I will leave some in the bottom of the keg, say 1/4 to 1/2 cup or so. When I am ready to keg, I give the keg one last shake as a final sanitizing step. Dump her out, fill her up and give her hard gas.

hard gas is the worst.
  • djsethalldjsethall

djsethall said:

hard gas is the worst.

Depends if it is on the "in" side or the "out" side