Total Grain/Extract 7.00 lbs
    Total Hops 2.0 oz

Kolsh Style ale with brewed with orange blossom honey and orange zest

0.5 lbs Pacific Northwest Wheat
    .5 lbs English 2-row Pils
    .25 lbs Belgian Cara-Pils
    5.00 lbs Dry Extra Light; Muntons
    .75 lbs Honey

1 oz Tettnanger (Pellets, 4.8 %AA) boiled 60 min.
    1 oz Spalt Spalter (Pellets, 2.6 %AA) boiled 15 min

3 oz. Orange Zest (not included in calculations

Yeast : White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kölsch

add speciallty grains to a grain bag.
    Steep specialty grains for 30 minutes at 150 degrees, remove from steeping liquid
    Add Orange Blossom Honey at flame out.

soak 1 medium orange in vodka for 15 minutes, zest add to fermenter

Original Gravity 1.055 1.044 - 1.050

Terminal Gravity 1.010 1.007 - 1.011

Color 4.48 °SRM 3.50 - 5.00 °SRM

Bitterness 26.5 IBU 20.00 - 30.00 IBU

Alcohol 4.6 % 5.9 %

Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    Brewed it 5/20/2012
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • C_BC_B
    Exciting. Looking forward to the results.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    Lothos said:

Brewed it 5/20/2012

i thought you only did all-grain?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I mentioned in the brew log, but I am brewing this soon, can't wait. I hope it turns out well. I am having our inaugural Oktoberfest this year at my house, I want to serve some German ales (can't lager yet) and wanted to include this. I hope to try it, and some others first, then rebrew a little closer to the event. Sort of a test run on a few as time allows.
  • LothosLothos
    Lakewood said:

Lothos said:

Brewed it 5/20/2012

i thought you only did all-grain?

Converted it to all grain
    To
    9.00 lbs 2 row
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ceanntceannt
    bet this would be good with pilsner malt.... may have to do something like this
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • LothosLothos
    here it is beginning of week 2 in fermenter

Picture 004.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 1M
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    it started out with an OG of 1.065
    10 points over what it should be i guess thats from the grain conversion from powder stuff
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    Benvarine said:

I mentioned in the brew log, but I am brewing this soon, can't wait. I hope it turns out well. I am having our inaugural Oktoberfest this year at my house, I want to serve some German ales (can't lager yet) and wanted to include this. I hope to try it, and some others first, then rebrew a little closer to the event. Sort of a test run on a few as time allows.

gonna rack on friday and give it a taste

Will let ya know whats up
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    Kegged th kolsch today FG 1.011 AVB 6.5% totally awsome on flavor it's a keeper
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Kegged mine today. FG 1.012, 6.8% ABV. Tastes awesome. Slight hint of orange, good aroma of honey and sweet honey taste up front and through the middle. Finish with a good mouthfeel. A little darker than I expected, but very happy. Will brew this again for Oktoberfest. Nice job Lothos.
  • LothosLothos
    Thank you told ya it was good

its a keeper
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    For the orange zest, I zested two oranges, then placed in a tea ball and placed in vodka for 15 min. Took out of that and emptied into primary. It had a nice hint of orange, I was wondering if it could use more, but I would hate to disrupt the balance. I don't want to drink a screwdriver.
  • LothosLothos
    ya i took the zest of 2 also and put it in 100 proof stoli for 3 hours than added it to fermenter and its no where near a screwdriver its still awsome
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Did you soak peels then zest? I zest, then soak. Not sure if it makes any difference, but my method does risk losing some of the flavor into the vodka instead of the beer.
  • LothosLothos
    Sliced in 6 pieces soak than zest.

Oh than eat orange slices. Or muddle and add orange juice and ice Drink
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I love this recipe. I want to try playing around with the recipe to learn more about brewing. I want to change one thing at a time ideally and see how it changes. Some things I want to try, and not all at the same time are ferm temp, malt bill and quantity of honey. I fermented in mid 60's. I want to drop to 61-62. Will do that next, and might actually try one other change actually, nothing like contradicting myself. How would I get the ABV down? A little less DME? A little less honey? Thoughts?
  • C_BC_B
    Benvarine said:

I love this recipe. I want to try playing around with the recipe to learn more about brewing. I want to change one thing at a time ideally and see how it changes. Some things I want to try, and not all at the same time are ferm temp, malt bill and quantity of honey. I fermented in mid 60's. I want to drop to 61-62. Will do that next, and might actually try one other change actually, nothing like contradicting myself. How would I get the ABV down? A little less DME? A little less honey? Thoughts?

I would drop up to a half pound of DME. If you want to get the abv down more than a couple tenths of a percent I would say scale the entire recipe, but that's annoying.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I am not real good at describing what I am tasting, but it seems like it has a malty mouthfeel, sort of thick in a sense. How would you lighten that, make it a bit more crisp?
  • C_BC_B
    From OP for reference.
    0.5 lbs Pacific Northwest Wheat
    .5 lbs English 2-row Pils
    .25 lbs Belgian Cara-Pils
    .75 lbs Honey

1 oz Tettnanger (Pellets, 4.8 %AA) boiled 60 min.
    1 oz Spalt Spalter (Pellets, 2.6 %AA) boiled 15 min

3 oz. Orange Zest (not included in calculations

Yeast : White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kölsch

add speciallty grains to a grain bag.
    Steep specialty grains for 30 minutes at 150 degrees, remove from steeping liquid
    Add Orange Blossom Honey at flame out.

the 2-row and belgian cara-pils will give it *more* mouth feel than straight DME, but in such a low amount already I'm not sure.... Instead of steeping/mashing them at 150 back it down to 147. But there again, such a small amount...

If straight up maltiness/sweetness is the issue then drop the DME down to 4lbs and see what that does for you.
    But @ceannt is way better at tweaking a recipe than I will ever be.
  • ThymThym
    @benvarine

i'd really think the maltiness is from the yeast attenuation more than the grain selection, but you could probably up the honey a touch and pull out some of the DME to dry it out a bit.

What was the OG/FG of the batch you made?

was it a sweetness, a mouthfeel, or both?
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I made two batches. First 1.064/1.012, second 1.062/1.010. It tastes sweet, and until I had another commercial beer at a club meeting where a people commented on the presence of orange blossom honey, I didn't know I was tasting it. Now I know what I am tasting, so I was actually thinking of dialing back the honey a bit.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Another thing I noticed, both times I only used 0.5 oz spalter at 15min instead of 1oz. Not sure why, but I did it both times.
  • ThymThym
    hop flavors can offset sweetness and balance it out a bit.

i'm surprised the honey would leave a sweetness though.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Not sure what I tasted, but certainly a flavor reminiscent of the honey. I was not aware of how distinct orange blossom honey was.