How many kegs do you have in your system?
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes
    how much will 2 more taps cost though? wont the kegs be the expensive thing?
  • ThymThym

Depends if you are mounting perlicks or just using picnic faucets...
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
    Lakewood said:

is there a difference in beer quality?
    Im going to mount something on the side. I dont need the tall things.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

is there a difference in beer quality?

beer quality? no. the picnic faucets are just cheap plastic things you put on the beer line but can't mount to anything. they just sit inside the fridge.... that's all i have. they pour the same beer.
  • ThymThym
    squeeze faucet (no shank) would be the picnic faucets.
  • ThymThym
    i would recommend going with the dual body regulator upgrade.
    Lakewood said:

so I can carb things like porters and stouts less than an IPA?
    How big of a tank will I need? I mean. I could get a couple more paintball tanks. I play paintball some and I have a 24oz tank.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

so I can carb things like porters and stouts less than an IPA?

That is one very good use for the second regulator.
    I use my second as a service gas regulator, i use co2 to move beer from fermenters to kegs and to spray star san and other stuff and when kegging i ramp up the pressure and use that line to pre charge the kegs so they carb a little faster. its basically a regulator i turn up and down regularly, while the serving regulator i try to maintain as constant as possible.
  • ThymThym

How big of a tank will I need? I mean. I could get a couple more paintball tanks. I play paintball some and I have a 24oz tank.

i used to use a 5lb. but i was using a lot of gas for cleaning, purging, transferring and other stuff, so i switched to a 20lb tank. then the 20lb tank ran out on a sunday night and i couldn't find a place to fill the tank until tuesday.... so i bought a backup tank. so now i have a 20lb 'main' tank and a 10 lb 'backup'
  • ThymThym
    i would strongly suggest that whatever size you get, you purchase a backup.
  • ThymThym
    oh, and if you check the filling prices, you'll see it's generally about the same price to fill a 20lb tank as it is to fill a 5lb tank... it's the labor they are charging for, not the gas.
    tank filling places are pretty common around here. I'll probably get a 10 pounder and use my paintball tanks for backup. The local welding shop fills any size co2 for 5 bucks.
    Lakewood said:

The paintball tanks work right? Yes I def need a backup. I'd be pissed if I couldnt drink my beer.
  • ThymThym

tank filling places are pretty common around here. I'll probably get a 10 pounder and use my paintball tanks for backup. The local welding shop fills any size co2 for 5 bucks.

good plan. and yep, on the filling price.... i think my shop charges $3 more for 20lbs than they do for 5lbs...
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

The paintball tanks work right? Yes I def need a backup. I'd be pissed if I couldnt drink my beer.

as long as it has the same CGA fitting
  • ThymThym
    i haven't had a paintball gun in 10 years...
    the fittings and tanks are the same as they were 10 years ago.
    whats the difference in ball and pin lock?
  • ThymThym

whats the difference in ball and pin lock?

besides the obvious? nothing.

Ball lock is just more common. Whichever way you go, just make sure you always stick to the same style... otherwise you will have a mess of different connections and fittings and... well... you can put your ball locks in your pin holes.
  • ThymThym
    oh, and the pin locks seem to be slightly taller than the ball lock
    I may end up buying that kit. My brother knows some guys that used to brew and keg. Hes asking them if they still have any stuff or want to sell. I've been watching craigslist for a while now and its just not happening. There arent enough people near me. And its not worth the saved money to drive 4 hours each way.
  • ThymThym

I may end up buying that kit. My brother knows some guys that used to brew and keg. Hes asking them if they still have any stuff or want to sell. I've been watching craigslist for a while now and its just not happening. There arent enough people near me. And its not worth the saved money to drive 4 hours each way.

i gotta admit... you are gonna be better off with new. all of the fittings, lines, faucets really need to be spotless... and kept that way... unless you don't like beer that tastes good.

the only things that you can kinda count on with used would be the tank and regulators, but regulators are not super robust and even a little misuse and they can be sticky and inconsistent... i got one second hand, it ruined a lot of beer before i figured out what was going on. i had to completely tear it down and rebuild it... i bought a second one brand new... it's worked flawlessly since the day i bought it.

and tanks go out of cert, so buying someones out of cert tank will end up costing you more in the end because you'll have to get it re-certified before anyone will fill it.