Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
How many kegs do you have in your system?
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes
    I'm planning on finding a freezer and converting to a kegerator. Whats a good number of kegs to have in it? Does the beer ever go bad sitting in the keg? I was thinking 5 or 6 kegs in a system would leave me with enough variety. Its expensive on the front end, but I feel like doing it all at once will be easiest. 4 would probably do though.
  • jlwjlw
    I have 4 kegs and its the right amount for me.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i started with 4, but now i have 11.....they are never all in use though. basically, four are always pouring, and usually two are full and in reserve.
    the others i use when i am too lazy to clean one or whatever else. i have acutally started pirating pieces of them now because one of my lids went bad, or the pressure release went bad, but it was that solid, welded thing on the bottom, so i couldn't replace it with the parts i bought (or at all i think) so now i just use the other lid.

when you figure that, with some looking, used corny's can be found for 30 or 40 bucks, a new lid costs 35 bucks, its an easy decision.
    Around here, its hard to find used cornys. Low population density and lack of people online. I may have found a couple with the deep freeze I'm interested in though.
    I think 4 on tap at a time would be sufficient. But why not have 6?
  • FuzzyFuzzy

i have 6. it's more than i need when the pipeline is low, but not enough when i go on a brewing streak. i'd like 4 more that i can have dedicated to long aging stuff so that i'm not tying up kegs that i would normally have on tap.

my kegerator fits 4 kegs, which is a nice variety to have on tap. that only leaves 2 for carbing/aging if my rator is full.
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

i fully intended to expand to 6, but when the time came to do it, i just don't need to. i have one keg always full of cider, and then three other beers. that's plenty for the wife and i and this way one doesn't sit around too long. with most of my beers being very hoppy, age is a delicate issue, so i determined i just didn't need six faucets.

i was thinking about adding another tap and keeping a 10% sparkling melomel or cyser always pouring, but that just seems really dangerous.

last time i had a 10% cider on tap, i ended up with lots of hangovers and some friends that were actually mad at me because they got so drunk. ingrates.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I like the idea of a guest tap. Swap a keg with a friend or get a 5 g from a brewery or good beer store. That is my ultimate plan with a four tap system, but I just started with two. Right now I only have a guest. I have two in the works, but need to plan better to always keep two tapped at on time.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i'm the opposite of fry. most of the beers i tend to brew do well after aging for a while.
  • LothosLothos
    i have 5 on tap in my 7.5 cubic foot chest freezer
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    freezer cost me 189.00 lowes brand new
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lothos said:

freezer cost me 189.00 lowes brand new

i'd love to grab a cheap one off of craiglist, but i have absolutely no room for it.
  • LothosLothos
    that sucks+
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • C_BC_B
    10 kegs. 4 on tap, 5 for aging, shenanigans, or being lazy and one for wifey's root beer. I think I'm going to angle to upgrade to 6 taps so I can put the root beer on tap (and score an extra for me).
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • LothosLothos
    i have 15 corney kegs just 5 on tap at once 2 15.5 gal fermenters and such lol

getting ready to install my 10" banjo burners 3 of them heh heh heh
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    My fridge will hold 6 cornies. I havent had it full in a while, but when i was brewing regularly it always has 4 pouring and two in reserve. I have a total of 10 kegs. If i was brewing frequently still i would have picked up a few more.

Always buy in twos. If you are brewing ten gallon batches an odd keg is useless.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
    Someday I'll probably move on from brew in a bag. Then 10 gallon batches will be helpful. My bags wont support enough grain for 10 gallon batches. But I can do 2 batches simultaneously. I like to have a variety of beers available at once. I just wonder if 4 is enough. If I get a big ole freezer then what do I do with the rest of it?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    cold storage.
    I think I'll just put 6 taps in. may as well do it all at once. I need to look at some buiilds to get ideas.
  • jlwjlw

I think I'll just put 6 taps in. may as well do it all at once. I need to look at some buiilds to get ideas.

If you are going to do 6 taps you will want more than 6 kegs. Some you may need to bulk store beer.
  • ceanntceannt
    Taps X 3 = kegs
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ceanntceannt
    Coming from a guy with neither ...
    But I would like to remedy that
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

Taps X 3 = kegs

Did you buy stock in Keg Cowboy? ;)
    I have 2 5 gal carboys for storage. They arent good for much else. I don't know that I'll put 6 kegs into service right away. I prolly ought to go with four. That will allow me a Stout a POrter and IPA and some other something for guests and such. Say I would want to take one of the kegs off of the tap and force carb another to take somewhere. would that be ok? How much more would it be just to have 2 more taps though? and how likely is it that the beer will go bad sitting there? how long does that take?
    I completely despise bottling.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    unfiltered homebrew in a keg will take years to 'go bad'. each style has it's own timeframe of when it's best, generally speaking, the stronger-the longer it will be tasty.

if you're going to move kegs, you need to make sure you're siphoning carefully so you get less sediment that will get stirred up. you'll also want to leave enough time for the carb to settle down once you've moved the keg.