Plate Chiller Help!
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    my birthday money is burning a hole in my pocket and i was planning on buying a plate chiller.
    i had planned on picking up the therminator, but as i look around, i see these compact 30 plate chillers for a hundred bucks cheaper....
    anybody have any thoughts on these?
    as you know, i don't go too crazy with my home brewery, so i just don't know if i need the top of the line unit. another point is that i have missouri well water......its very cold year round. i am doing ten gallon batches, but if the compact 30 can chill that in 10-15 minutes, then it is totally fine in my book. i will not be using a pump, but both are apparently fine with being gravity fed.
    has anyone used one of these?

also, should i go with 3/8 hose or 1/2"? i see where most need to restrict the flow of wort using the valve on the kettle, so not sure why you would want 1/2" hose if you already have to restrict flow, but many use 1/2 it seems.
  • ThymThym
    I would go with the 1/2 fittings because you may decide to change the setup some day (like to a recirculating chill) and the 1/2 ports offer the greatest flexibility. I don't have direct experience with these units, but I bet you could easily get away with the compact unit for your situation.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    How many square inches of chiller do each have? What are they're flow rates for coolant and wort?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    obviously depends on water temp, but therminator can chill about 1.5 gals a minute and the compact on can do around .85 gals a minute

i don't know the square inches, but the therminator has more.

the compact one is supposed to be 75% more efficient than the regular shirron plate chillers
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    yeah, i have seen those. they are basically the exact same thing as all the other compact plate chillers and around the same price.
    keg cowboy has one for around 80 bucks so i figured i would just order from him.
    actually...
    @kegcowboy
    what's your thoughts on plate chillers?