Sauerbraten
  • ceanntceannt
    Sauerbraten:

4-pound Beef roast. (Rump, Sirloin tip or tenderloin)
    1 ½ cup vinegar
    1 cup dry red wine
    ¾ cup water
    3-medium red onions, sliced
    2- stalks celery, sliced
    2- carrots, sliced
    20 whole peppercorns
    10 whole cloves
    3 bay leaves
    2- tablespoons sugar
    1 ½ teaspoons salt
    Flour
    3-tablespoons Olive oil

Gravy:
    3- cups drippings plus strained marinade
    5 tablespoons flour
    5 tablespoons crushed ginger snap cookies

Place meat in a large plastic zip lock freezer bag. In a large bowl mix vinegar, wine, water, onions, celery, carrots, pepper, cloves, bay leaves, sugar and salt. Pour over meat and seal the bag. Place bag in a 9” X 13” pan and refrigerate for a week, turning twice a day.
    When ready to cook, remove meat (save the marinade) and dry off well. Rub the surface of the meat lightly with flour. In a dutch oven, or large cast iron skillet, heat about 3-tablespoons of olive oil and slowly brown the meat well on all sides. Add a cup of the marinade and the vegetables. Cover and place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for three to four hours until the meat is fork tender. If needed add more marinade during cooking to keep at least a half inch of liquid. Remove the meat and keep warm until ready to slice.
    To make the gravy, strain the drippings into a large measuring cup (some folks add ice cubes until the fat separates, and remove it, I leave it in….) add marinade to get a total of 3-cups. Add the flour and crushed ginger snaps. Stir and cook for 5-10 minutes until gravy has thickened.
    Serve with Red Cabbage and potato pancakes… pairs well with an AltBier or a Bock. This is an intense pain in the butt to make, but is one of my all time favorite meals….. and is so worth the effort.

scoob
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    delicious.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw
    This sounds awesome. I will be making this soon.
  • ThymThym
    Ooooooooooooooooooo
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • scoobscoob
    Must... Have.... Sauerbraten ..
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • viking73viking73
    Mmmmmm, must cook this soon!
  • scoobscoob
    Found a local german Place, going tonight for sauerbraten and red cabbage!

Then I'm stopping for a roast to make my own at home for next week.
    Jesus didn't wear pants