Decoction mash for an Ale?
  • jlwjlw
    I was wondering if decoction mash is worth the effort for an Ale or in the this case my DIPA planned for Saturday.
  • ThymThym
    I've often thought about this. My gut says yes. I think it could add some flavors that would really balance nicely with a big hoppy DIPA. I love to hear your result if you try it.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i'd say yes, but just decoct to mash out. i don't see a double or triple decoction being worth it.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw

i'd say yes, but just decoct to mash out. i don't see a double or triple decoction being worth it.

Yeah, I was thinking for mash out only as well. I don't think a mash out decoction would add that much more time onto the brew day. I may just give it try.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

Yeah, I was thinking for mash out only as well. I don't think a mash out decoction would add that much more time onto the brew day. I may just give it try.

i could see that working well for most of the amercian styles: amber, brown, apa/ipa.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • jlwjlw
    I'm thinking to add the normal amount of water for a single infusion mash and then decoct a portion to raise the temp to 168*. Looks like it would be around 12 quarts.
  • ceanntceannt
    A "thick" decoction to mash out will give almost the same results as a double decoction..... you might get a slightly darker beer, but not by much... increase your first sparge rest to 30-minutes too...
    Should get a much more robust malty flavor.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • scoobscoob
    I say go for it, I use a decoction mash when I brew my hefe and lately when I brew my APA, by lately I mean the last time I actually brewed it.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • jlwjlw
    Just decocted 10 quarts. Starting to boil now.
  • jlwjlw
    Think I will boil for 20 min and then Add back in.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Think I will boil for 20 min and then Add back in.

Awesome
  • jlwjlw
    Wort looks tasty.
  • jlwjlw
    Exact color I was looking for.
  • ThymThym
    I look forward to hearing how it turns out