Dried pears
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Dehydrators are a great appliance. Way better than that dumb quesadilla maker that you got for Christmas 8 years ago and only used once. My two favorite things to dehydrate are fruit leather (think 'organic' style fruit roll-ups, without the corn syrup) and dried pears.

Fruit leather is really easy. Take some apple sauce and mix in whatever proportion of fruit puree you think will taste good, then spread it onto the handy form they give you, or a piece of plastic wrap if you lost that thing many years ago like I did. Then turn the thing on. The temp really doesn't matter too much, but I usually go with a lower setting. 110F, round about.

For dried pears, I ran into a few issues. First, I tried to just slice them up and toss em on the dehydrator. They turned out horrible. The texture was just like the dried apples that come in mixed dried fruit gift baskets. Very rubbery and slimey. Gross. The second problem was the shape of the pear. It has much more fruit at the bottom than it does at the top. If you try to halve and dry them like any other fruit, you'll get a crunchy dry rock on the top, and a mushy lump on the bottom.

Here's what I came up with to solve those problems:

Step 1-Halve the pears and remove the seeds. I take out the hard shell parts that cover the seeds as well, because I hate biting into one of those things. This cheapo apple corer works great for this. Just twist and gouge.

Step 2-The pears need to be poached. I find that a cheap white wine does the best. Go grab the cheapest reisling you can find and boil the pears in that until they're nice and soft. Reds will work too, just make sure it's not a dry red wine. The flesh of the fruit needs to be softened to get that nice texture that you find in store bought stuff. The great thing about this step is that it allows you to use fruit that isn't ripe yet. It doesn't seem to matter.

Step 3- When the pears are soft enough, put them in the dehydrator on a low setting and wait until the thicker/lower portion isn't mushy anymore. The top part will seem too dry, but the next step will correct that.

Step 4-Put the whole load of dried pears in a bag for a week or so. The remaining moisture in the bottom parts will be drawn up into the over dried tops, giving you a nice even moisture content.

Step 5-Hide them from yourself, or you'll eat 5-6 pears in one sitting. That's no bueno the next day...

DSC00326.JPG
    2592 x 1944 - 1M
    DSC00327.JPG
    2592 x 1944 - 1M
    DSC00328.JPG
    2592 x 1944 - 964K
    DSC00333.JPG
    2592 x 1944 - 1M
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    These ones are dark, because I used a way over expired red wine I made when I was recently married, like 8 years ago. Even the crappiest of wines works great.
  • ThymThym
    Sounds fun and tastey. How long does it take in the dehydrator?
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

Sounds fun and tastey. How long does it take in the dehydrator?

depends on the size of the fruit. these were medium-small. they took about 14 hrs.
  • ThymThym
    Any advice on what features make a good dehydrator?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    I'd have to look at what's out there. I've had this one for more than 15 years.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    after a quick look on amazon it seems like most of the models out have the same features i like on mine but haven't improved on the main design flaw. I like the fact that you can stack the individual trays to make the unit as large/small as the batch that you're drying. the newer ones have the heater fan on the top of the unit as opposed to mine. i don't know if that's an improvement or not.

the biggest annoyance with mine is the design of the trays. the way they patterned the material to allow for airflow also makes them really annoying to clean.
  • ThymThym

after a quick look on amazon it seems like most of the models out have the same features i like on mine but haven't improved on the main design flaw. I like the fact that you can stack the individual trays to make the unit as large/small as the batch that you're drying. the newer ones have the heater fan on the top of the unit as opposed to mine. i don't know if that's an improvement or not.

the biggest annoyance with mine is the design of the trays. the way they patterned the material to allow for airflow also makes them really annoying to clean.

Cool, I'll look into it.

would drying in a smoker with no wood, just a little charcoal and low heat work?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

Cool, I'll look into it.

would drying in a smoker with no wood, just a little charcoal and low heat work?

maybe, but you'd need to add a fan. my dehydrator has a range of 95F-145F. if you could keep it steady at those low temps and keep air flowing over it, you'd be in business.
  • ThymThym
    I might just throw a little muffin fan in and give it a try. What's the worst that could happen, right?
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

I might just throw a little muffin fan in and give it a try. What's the worst that could happen, right?

that's what i was thinking. worst case, you waste $3 in fruit.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

The worst? Botulism I suppose, but the risk factors for that wouldn't really be present in the scenario you have presented. I would say general failure to succeed would be more likely.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Lakewood said:

The worst? Botulism I suppose, but the risk factors for that wouldn't really be present in the scenario you have presented. I would say general failure to succeed would be more likely.

highly unlikely. if you were to test run the system with raw meat, and happen to undershoot the temps, then maybe. but with fruit, very unlikely.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

highly unlikely. if you were to test run the system with raw meat, and happen to undershoot the temps, then maybe. but with fruit, very unlikely.

I'm with FZ on this... Botulism in this scenario seems pretty unlikely. im thinking gross, squishy overcooked pear or rock hard leather is fairly likely, disease causing pathogens, no so much...
  • C_BC_B
    Where's that sarcasm font? (looks around)
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy

yo mamma has is. B-)
  • ThymThym

yo mamma has is. B-)

shes always got the best stuff
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    and here's some fruit leather. mmmm,

DSC00340.JPG
    2592 x 1944 - 1M
  • ThymThym

and here's some fruit leather. mmmm,

looks like a skin flap for a graft...

delicious.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    it's the iris of a dinosaur eye.

Thym
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    e coli could go nuts if you put that in a smoker, botulism needs a no air environment to grow, like deep inside a sausage or inside something that has been improperly canned.

still very unlikely though, just don't use pears with dirt on them and you're fine

Thym
  • FuzzyFuzzy

e coli could go nuts if you put that in a smoker, botulism needs a no air environment to grow, like deep inside a sausage or inside something that has been improperly canned.

still very unlikely though, just don't use pears with dirt on them and you're fine

no smoker, dehydrator.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i thought lake said he was thinking about smoking his? anyway, even that doesn't really matter since they are boiled first.
  • ThymThym

i thought lake said he was thinking about smoking his? anyway, even that doesn't really matter since they are boiled first.

I was, and still am. But not really smoking, just a little charcoal for heat and using the smoker because its about all I have that can hold a low temp for a long time.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

I was, and still am. But not really smoking, just a little charcoal for heat and using the smoker because its about all I have that can hold a low temp for a long time.

you could just use the heat off the back of the fridge and a small, clip on style fan. or a small fan like that in a car with its windows up. you're looking for air movement more so than heat. before i bought my dehydrator, i rigged up all kinds of stuff that functioned pretty well as a dehydrator. car and fan worked best though, and since you are in sunny cali, might be the best route for you to go.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Lakewood said:

you could just use the heat off the back of the fridge and a small, clip on style fan. or a small fan like that in a car with its windows up. you're looking for air movement more so than heat. before i bought my dehydrator, i rigged up all kinds of stuff that functioned pretty well as a dehydrator. car and fan worked best though, and since you are in sunny cali, might be the best route for you to go.

well well well. it looks as though dr jerry hacked fry's account. :P
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    in the sunnier, hotter areas, they often use big steel boxes (much like that brinkmann smoker Lake has) with steel mesh screens to offer air circulation to make jerky and such. i bet if you put a muffin fan in that smoker with the air vents open on a hot day, you'd have a decent dehydrator without the need for a heat source other than the sun.

Thym
  • ThymThym

in the sunnier, hotter areas, they often use big steel boxes (much like that brinkmann smoker Lake has) with steel mesh screens to offer air circulation to make jerky and such. i bet if you put a muffin fan in that smoker with the air vents open on a hot day, you'd have a decent dehydrator without the need for a heat source other than the sun.

that's true.. it's probably 100degF in there even on a cool day.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    keep it under 118F to keep the enzymes intact... you guys are all on the raw diet right?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

keep it under 118F to keep the enzymes intact... you guys are all on the raw diet right?

no
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

no

then you win, win at not hating yourself
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio