Lager Timeframes
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    This discussion was created from comments split from: TKT - No Holds Barred.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    So how long can I leave a lager on it's yeast? Do I need to transfer to a secondary? I pushed the bung in too far (#6 rather than #6.5 and lubed up with sanstar, oops) so it'll be a project to get it open to test gravity... so basically I'm hoping some one will tell me I can just leave it be for another 6 weeks and call it done.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    Im no lagermeister but i believe the lagering process is usually done after racking to a secondary fermentation vessel..

The primary ferment should be complete in a couple weeks, but its best to let gravity be the judge of that. But if you cant get your bung out of your bung hole, then leave it for 3 weeks then rack it into a secondary lagering vessel, and watch how hard you press on your bung.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lake has it right. you'll want to lager in what is effectively a bright tank. i do it in the keg, but since you bottle, just use a secondary fermenter.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    that being said, i've left beer on lager yeast for more than a month without any off flavors developing. i probably wouldn't do it again, but it turned out fine.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

Thanks, I'll do it
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio