I need help. I want to brew a Marzen...
  • jlwjlw
    but I have never brewed a lager. I believe the process around fermentation is different.

I'm looking for recipes advice, techniques, etc.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Well, the most important factors are pitching rate and fermentation temperatures. You can use this to figure out the proper pitching rate:
    http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

As for fermentation temperature, you should consult the yeast manufacturers suggestions for the specific strain info. In general, though the lager fermentation range is about 48-60F. The lower end of the range usually results in a cleaner finished beer, but takes longer and usually will require a diacetyl rest (d-rest). If you ferment towards the high end of the scale, you can get some sulfury flavors/aromas that take a long while to age out, but may not need the d-rest.

As for diacetyl: it tastes a bit like the fake butter that is put on popcorn at the theater. It's acceptable in some English ales, but is generally not wanted in a lager. There are a bunch of views on how to perform a d-rest, but here is the one that makes the most sense to me. Wait until fermentation is about 75% finished, then slowly bring the temperature up to around 66F. Hold it there for 1-2 days, then slowly ramp it back down to your original ferm temps. This lets the yeast get at the diacetyl while they are still active and present throughout the beer.

In the past, I have done the d-rest long after the fermentation is finished with good results. It just takes a few extra days for the yeast to wake up and clean the fermentation byproducts up.

The term lager actually refers to the process of lagering, which happens after fermentation is finished. This is usually done by storing the beer at 35F for as long as you can wait. The traditional Marzen is brewed in March, hence the name, and lagered until September, when it's drank at the Oktoberfest! You can lager a beer while it's flat or carbed, but you'll want to wait to filter (if you do that) until after you lager the beer. Even at those low temps and off the trub, there is still a little bit of yeast activity cleaning the beer up.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    And the recipe:

What is it you want the beer to turn out like? Marzen is a wide category, they can be crisp and clean, or somewhat malty/heavy. What were you going for?

• jlwjlw
    My favorite is Paulaner Oktoberfest.
  • jlwjlw
    So I was thinking about going for something similar.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    jlw said:

My favorite is Paulaner Oktoberfest.

that's the one brand i haven't tried. #-o

google isn't much help, but here's what was said in an email to someone that contacted Paulaner:

70% dark malt, 30% pilsner, Hallertau for bittering and aroma.

I'd assume the dark malt is munich 20L, (maybe some vienna?), but i'm not sure as i haven't tried the beer. For the hops, i'd go with one 60 min addition and one at 15.

here's what the paulaner website says: 5.8% abv, og-13.7% (i'm assuming brix?)
  • BenSBenS
    jlw, if you live in a cold climate during this time of year, find the coldest corner of your house, and use that to ferment in. If you can find a closet that stays around 55F with a hard floor(no carpet) that's good enough. You can lager the beer in the keg in your kegerator. Just don't tap the keg for 3-4 weeks minimum. As far as recipes go, think simple. I don't have them with me at the moment, but my oktoberfest, vienna lager, and dunkel recipes usually consist of 2-3 grains max. Vienna and Munich malt are your best friends for these recipes. Also, don't go overboard with the IBU's. BU:GU ratio of .5:1 usually works best for me. Minimal caramel malts. No more than a lb for 5 gal of oktoberfest.
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • jlwjlw
    I found this recipe online and I am wondering how close it would be to Paulaner. I haven;t been able to find a clone yet.

5.5 lbs of German 2-row Pilsner malt
    6.0 lbs of German Munich malt
    4.0 oz of Belgian Cara-Munich malt
    2.0 oz of Belgian Biscuit malt
    2.0 oz of Belgian Aromatic malt
    1.0 oz of Tetnanger (4% AA)
    1.0 oz of Hallertau Hersbrucker (3.7 AA)
    Wyeast Bavarian Lager 2206
    or WPL820 Oktoberfest/Märzen Lager Yeast
    OG: 1.060
    FG: 1.016

http://www.fermentarium.com/homebrewing/how-to-make-marzen/

• FuzzyFuzzy
    i'm not sure if it would be a clone, but it looks delicious to me.
  • LothosLothos
    Paulaner Clone -
    October 5, 2009
    Category Belgian and French Ale
    Subcategory Witbier
    Recipe Type All Grain
    Batch Size 5 gal
    Volume Boiled 6.5 gal
    Mash Efficiency 72 %
    Total Grain/Extract 9.50 lbs
    Total Hops 0.7 oz

Summary : A nice clone of the Paulaner style of Hefewitzen

5 lbs German 2-row Pils
    4.5 lbs Wheat Flaked
    .7 oz Liberty (Pellets, 4.3 %AA) boiled 60 min.
    Yeast : Fermentis S-23 Saflager S-23 Fementis Safbrew 06 witbier

Predicted Witbier Compliance
    Original Gravity 1.049 1.044 - 1.052 100 %
    Terminal Gravity 1.010 1.008 - 1.012 100 %
    Color 3.40 °SRM 2.00 - 4.00 °SRM 100 %
    Bitterness 15.6 IBU 10.00 - 20.00 IBU 100 %
    Alcohol (%volume) 5.1 % 4.50 - 5.50 % 100 %

100 % overall

Alcohol 4.0 % 5.1 %

Total IBU 15.6
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    swing and a miss...
  • LothosLothos
    i know its not a marzen
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • C_BC_B

swing and a miss...

Subtle and elegant.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • LothosLothos
    n/m
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    do
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    not
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    remember
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    what
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    i
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    said lol 200
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Lothos said:

i know its not a marzen

sure you do....

now if you can find the recipe for kapuziner hefe that's a different story.
  • LothosLothos
    looking now
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    hmmmm i could make that i got the perfect hops for that
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ceanntceannt
    My “fest” grain bill is:

7.5-pounds Vienna malt
    4-pounds Munich Malt (7L)
    0.25-pounds Caramunich.

(I calls it “Oink-Toberfest”)….. Gives that wonderful orange color, and very flavorful (don’t know how close to Paulaner, been years since I’ve had it)…….. If you are after a true Marzen…. And I’m in the camp that looks at them as two similar, but different styles… you will want Pilsner malt as the main base, with a good bit of Vienna, and cut back on the Munich. A Marzen should be a lower gravity, and lighter color than a true “Fest” type beer …. The recipe you found on-line is close, but needs the Vienna, and if you do a decoction, you don’t need all that other stuff (the aromatic and such)…. Keep it simple. Without running through the numbers…. Something like:

5-pounds Pilsner,
    3.5-pounds Vienna,
    1.5-pounds Munich and
    0.25-pounds Caramunich…..

for a quick stab at it…… subject to tweaking of course…. I would want to bump up the Vienna and Munich myself, but that’s the way I roll, ‘course I would brew it as an Ale anyway…. (So I won’t be murdered in my sleep…. sshhhhh….Don’t use the “L” word…..)
    I would mash at say 152 for an hour…. thick Decoction to mash-out with a half hour rest…. Or something like that….. you are on your own with the Lager end of it…….
    Anyway, for what it’s worth, that’s my two cents. Dang it, you have me wanting to brew mine again now…..

Funny story….. first time I brewed mine, I miss-ordered the ingredients (dang drop down menus, phone calls, etc.) and ended up with a whole dang pound of Caramunich….. and it’s really hard to pick out an individual grain type when it’s all in one bag and mixed up…. Ended up sweet enough to give you a nose bleed…. Wasn’t bad, just really sweet…… my son loved it…

Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.