Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Tagged

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
cider and mead questions
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    we are adding content to our cider and mead sections, but some of this relies on whatever questions you might have.
    please, don't hesitate to ask your questions but remember to check back quickly as they will be answered much faster than some other sites.
    please do not hesitate to ask any question you might have. this is a friendly place and any form of ridicule or general unpleasantness directed towards beginners will not be tolerated.
  • C_BC_B
    I want to make a simple mead. Like the grapey one you sent me. I already have the recipe, but I am worried about neglecting it. Can I just throw the honey, water, nutrients, and yeast in a carboy and forget about it? Am I going to f it up? My beers tend to get forgotten for a couple extra weeks sometimes in the primary, is this a bog deal with mead?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

I want to make a simple mead. Like the grapey one you sent me. I already have the recipe, but I am worried about neglecting it. Can I just throw the honey, water, nutrients, and yeast in a carboy and forget about it? Am I going to f it up? My beers tend to get forgotten for a couple extra weeks sometimes in the primary, is this a bog deal with mead?

if its in a glass carboy, i wouldn't leave it for more than 3-4 months without racking, but i know people that have forgotten about it for a year and it tastes good.

generally just primary it for a month and then rack it and forget it exists until you feel like remembering
  • TomoLiverTomoLiver
    "Brewed" a cider today.

5 gallons of apple juice
    2 lbs of brown sugar
    2.5 lbs honey (I'll add this in a couple days)

Used Wyeast 1099 ale yeast.

We'll see!
  • ThymThym
    TomoLiver said:

"Brewed" a cider today.

5 gallons of apple juice
    2 lbs of brown sugar
    2.5 lbs honey (I'll add this in a couple days)

Used Wyeast 1099 ale yeast.

We'll see!

ale yeast in cider?! Rebel.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    should be tasty. just remember the egg smell during ferment is normal. egg smell two months after indicates a problem.
    i have made several with brown sugar, but the unfermentables leave a flavor that i don't enjoy, although most people do.

scoob
  • C_BC_B

if its in a glass carboy, i wouldn't leave it for more than 3-4 months without racking, but i know people that have forgotten about it for a year and it tastes good.

generally just primary it for a month and then rack it and forget it exists until you feel like remembering

What's the problem with glass? Light? Or something else? I'll put it in the basement anyway.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i just like to pull it off the gross lees from the primary fermentation after a month of two. the plastic buckets are permeable so, you really don't want to leave it in a bucket for more than a month.

the light shouldn't mess it up, i just worry about off flavors from sitting on the gross lees. it can sit on the fine lees for as long as you feel like leaving it. just remember to use vodka in the airlock so junk doesn't grow in there and to check the airlock occasionally and top up as the vodka will evaporate. i check mine every month or so.
  • C_BC_B
    Ah ok. Mainly to get it off the lees. I thought that is what you meant.
  • TomoLiverTomoLiver

should be tasty. just remember the egg smell during ferment is normal. egg smell two months after indicates a problem.
    i have made several with brown sugar, but the unfermentables leave a flavor that i don't enjoy, although most people do.

Yeah, the first time I did a cider, I used US-05. For some reason I always get the egg smell with that strain. The 1099 is considerably less egg-ish so far.
  • ceanntceannt
    The egg smell goes away after a while....
    I used Notty for my first Cider...... smelled nasty.... Cider was great...

scoob
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • ceanntceannt
    I typically will not rack a Mead until after 3-months. And will bottle after another 3-months. It's fine sitting on the lees for that long..... but that's pretty close to the limit... The Mead actually doesn't seem to need to age as long after bottling if you leave it on there that long believe it or not....

scoob
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt
    I use a 6.5 gallon "better bottle" carboy for both Mead and Cider, I like it much better than glass.... well, at least my back does...... I wrap an old towel around it to keep out light.... dang thing is CLEAR....

scoob
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I have only made one batch. In primary bucket for 48 days, then in glass for about three months. Turned out good. I am not a mead Master like Fry, but it seems like it worked for me.
  • LothosLothos
    this is what i use for cider and mead
    just wrap it with a dark towel also
    8 gal brew bucket.jpg
    413 x 480 - 13K
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    All my fermenters are in a basement bathroom with no windows. I check them a few times a week, very little light aside from the occasional light bulb to take a piss. I did move one upstairs in our bedroom, it wore a nice Browning flannel shirt for a few weeks.
  • LothosLothos
    Benvarine said:

All my fermenters are in a basement bathroom with no windows. I check them a few times a week, very little light aside from the occasional light bulb to take a piss. I did move one upstairs in our bedroom, it wore a nice Browning flannel shirt for a few weeks.

LOL THATS FUNNY
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • scoobscoob
    Still need to make some cider, stupid easy to make, and yet I wait for some reason.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    entering time now for juice man. get ready. not sure what you're seasons are there for apples though, but in 2-3 weeks, its go time for me.
    thinking about going 100 gallons of cider this year.
    that's right, half my legal limit. worth it.

scoob
  • scoobscoob

entering time now for juice man. get ready. not sure what you're seasons are there for apples though, but in 2-3 weeks, its go time for me.

Wow!

Could you just ferment it out in big blue food grade 55 gallon barrels?
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    azscoob said:

Wow!

Could you just ferment it out in big blue food grade 55 gallon barrels?

yeah, if you had a good seal on the lid.
    secondary will be a bitch though. but i think i will split it between 7 demijohn's or just buy a SS bright tank.
  • C_BC_B

That's $700 worth of cider in Ohio. On a good day.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    SeaBee said:

A: worth it
    B: 400 bucks tops, in MO
    C: now that i have our other house rented and i am not blowing 1100 bucks a month....i'm rich beaotch!
  • C_BC_B

SeaBee said:

C: now that i have our other house rented and i am not blowing 1100 bucks a month....i'm rich beaotch!

A: Agreed, once I get better at making better stuff
    B: EAD
    C: I need a rental house!

scoob
  • scoobscoob
    SeaBee said:

SeaBee said:

A: Agreed, once I get better at making better stuff
    B: EAD
    C: I need a rental house!

Ha!
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • LothosLothos
    Ha mine is awesome @ 20%
    Ain't that a Bitch