Are you a hop head or a malt man?
  • C_BC_B
    I'm a malt man. I like the big malty goodness of a dopplebock. Or crisp clean O-fest.
    I should try to expand my portfolio into the hoppier varieties....
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    hops rule all
  • BenSBenS
    Malt
    There's no starting point. It's just a massive sea of shit to wade through until you find the occasional corn kernel. -DrCurly
  • FuzzyFuzzy

I'm a malt man. I like the big malty goodness of a dopplebock. Or crisp clean O-fest.

darn straight! preach it!
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

beer kool-aid with all that sweetness. do you fellas drink your iced tea sweetened too?

• C_BC_B

beer kool-aid with all that sweetness. do you fellas drink your iced tea sweetened too?

I drink my iced tea lightly hopped. Weird right?
  • jlwjlw
    Hops

hops rule all

Hops to rule them all. With that said unlike an ipa with a malt backbone and hops in yo face fool.
  • LothosLothos
    im going to build myself a Hop Infuser and install it on my keg-o-rater one line at a time.
    that way i can hop stuff the brew a in-ur-face kinda thing
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • C_BC_B
    Lothos said:

im going to build myself a Hop Infuser and install it on my keg-o-rater one line at a time.

So... that's a vote for hops then?......
  • jlwjlw
    Lothos said:

Dude that's awesome!!
  • LothosLothos
    yea im gonna use a new pool filter just take the filter out and replace it with a small hop bag and twist it back together than add beer and pressure
    should work awsome
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lothos said:

yea im gonna use a new pool filter just take the filter out and replace it with a small hop bag and twist it back together than add beer and pressure
    should work awsome

i have done something very similar to this. made a hop backer and ran the beer line into a pvc tube with mesh at the other end before it hit the beer line running to the faucet and crammed the tube full of hops. it will blow your head off with hops. expensive to use, but totally worth it.
  • ThymThym

Lothos said:

should work awsome

i have done something very similar to this. made a hop backer and ran the beer line into a pvc tube with mesh at the other end before it hit the beer line running to the faucet and crammed the tube full of hops. it will blow your head off with hops. expensive to use, but totally worth it.

Expensive foamy beer.... I like the novelty, but just doesn't seem practical under most circumstances.

BTW-Me likey the hops. Although I like to do malty sometimes.... I'm a beer slut.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    Lakewood said:

Expensive foamy beer.... I like the novelty, but just doesn't seem practical under most circumstances.

not really all that foamy after you pour out the first one (which is all foam)

not meant to be practical, its a party favor.

ever put beer into a french press for coffee then added whole leaf hops? that's tons of fun. and you can play with how long you leave them in there. no more than 5 minutes and use at least 1/2 ounce of hops. huge difference between 2-4 minutes too! like huge.

again, expensive, but lots of fun. then you push the hops down with the french press and pour off clear beer. no noticable effect on carb either.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i will say this for the hops: a homebrewed apa with some homegrown cascade hops fresh of the bine and into the glass is fantastic.
  • ThymThym

i will say this for the hops: a homebrewed apa with some homegrown cascade hops fresh of the bine and into the glass is fantastic.

that sounds uber good
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

that sounds uber good

it really is. and if you squeeze the beer out of the cone when you pour a fresh one, it gives you an instant dry hop flavor. the only downside is that you only have a few weeks out of the year that you'll have harvestable hops to do this with.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

that sounds uber good

it really is. and if you squeeze the beer out of the cone when you pour a fresh one, it gives you an instant dry hop flavor. the only downside is that you only have a few weeks out of the year that you'll have harvestable hops to do this with.

i need to grow hops before i even get the few weeks..
  • ThymThym
    my LHBS has a couple of bines growing in front of it.... I'm sure they wouldnt mind if I took a cone or two...
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

my LHBS has a couple of bines growing in front of it.... I'm sure they wouldnt mind if I took a cone or two...

pretty sure they wouldn't notice.
  • LothosLothos
    i harvested 5 different varities last year
    got 1-1/2 lbs out of each
    so i got plenty of hops

Cascade
    Tettnanger
    Centennial
    Hallertau
    Fuggles
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • LothosLothos
    Cascade
    Tettnanger
    Centennial
    Hallertau
    Fuggles
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    you're stocked!
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i grew cascade, centennial, willamette, and tried to grow goldings. the first two produced about 1/8 of an ounce each, nothing out of the willamette, and the goldings rhizome never grew. that was all from rhizomes, so i'm hoping to get a full crop on the first three and replace the goldings with nugget or chinook. not sure which one yet.
  • ThymThym
    i'm going to try to grow some centennial again this year. as long as i dont drown them in chlorinated spa water i think it will do ok.
  • LothosLothos
    mine were all rhizomes i got 2 years ago

we are getting ready to sell our house and property and buy a smaller house but bigger property go from 5 to 8.28 acre's so i will be ordering a few more rhizomes from hopsdirect.com
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Lothos said:

we are getting ready to sell our house and property and buy a smaller house but bigger property go from 5 to 8.28 acre's so i will be ordering a few more rhizomes from hopsdirect.com

nice. hope the new owners appreciate the hop garden
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

Lothos said:

super easy to transplant and split also. after two years in the ground, one planted rhizome splits onto 5 if it was decently healthy.
  • LothosLothos
    oh the new owners arnt going to know about them gonna take them with and replant
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Lothos said:

oh the new owners arnt going to know about them gonna take them with and replant

:)
  • C_BC_B
    C_dubbs said:

I should try to expand my portfolio into the hoppier varieties....

To revisit this topic.... For whatever reason I've been craving hops lately. Maybe it's the 19 gallons of Pale Ale + dry hopping on my office filing cabinet.
  • C_BC_B
    Oh, and don't get me wrong... Hops are simply a mistress. I will always go home to malt.

scoob
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    C_dubbs said:

Oh, and don't get me wrong... Hops are simply a mistress. I will always go home to malt.

like i said before, i'm a hop werewolf. once the full moon passes, it's back to malt country.
  • jlwjlw
    I think I am cutting back on malt beers. I like them but I need more ipa's around the house.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Malt or hops... hmmm...

I suppose I let the situation dictate. I can go through phases. Currently on a malty phase.
    Amigo, lay them raises down.
  • jlwjlw
    Evan_B said:

Malt or hops... hmmm...

I suppose I let the situation dictate. I can go through phases. Currently on a malty phase.

This is true. I guess I like malty beers in the winter months.
  • scoobscoob
    Evan_B said:

Malt or hops... hmmm...

I go through phases too, I do malty for a while, then slowly climb up the hoppy ladder till I'm drinking Pliny and such, then I drop all the way to malt bombs for a while again...
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Malt or hops... hmmm...

I can always enjoy both, but in the last few years I've more and more gravitated toward hoppy beers. Although a big belgian quad is always high on my list of yums. They I suppose defy this discussion since they are neither.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I don't like hops or malt, i'm more of an apple juice kind of guy.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Malt or hops... hmmm...

I can always enjoy both, but in the last few years I've more and more gravitated toward hoppy beers. Although a big belgian quad is always high on my list of yums. They I suppose defy this discussion since they are neither.

Living in northern Cali, my "transformation" occurred at the hands of Sierra Nevada. Needless to say, lots of SN torpedo was consumed for months and months. Then when I decided to expand my horizons I tried Deschutes Black Butte Porter, and since that day I have been semi-obsessed with porters and stouts, but more recently Cascadian Darks, which is a nice combination of both.
  • ThymThym
    I really dig Black Butte porter, however my fridge is usually well stocked with Torpedo, Racer 5, Stone IPA and Ranger.
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Racer 5 is never a bad choice in any circumstance!
    I have recently made it a habit to keep some 21st Amendment Back in Black on had at all times. Also, my favorite time of year is approaching; Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    I'm not too keen on racer 5. Not that I don't like it, I just don't see how it's better than anything SN makes... and for an extra 2bucks a six pack. But in my opinion no IPA can stand next to this stuff:
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

I have recently made it a habit to keep some 21st Amendment Back in Black on had at all times. Also, my favorite time of year is approaching; Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot.

I haven't had much from Lagunitas, only the IPA, and I wasn't terribly impressed. It was good but didn't stand out the way I expected.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

I haven't had much from Lagunitas, only the IPA, and I wasn't terribly impressed. It was good but didn't stand out the way I expected.

You should try more Lagunitas then. It is great. Haven't had a bad one yet. Little sumpin sumpin, brown sugga, good stuff. They are opening a brewery in Chicago soon.

To get back to the discussion, I love malt, I drink the hops, but really like a thick, malty, smooth beer. Stout, barley wine, something to chew on.
  • ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

You should try more Lagunitas then. It is great. Haven't had a bad one yet. Little sumpin sumpin, brown sugga, good stuff. They are opening a brewery in Chicago soon.

To get back to the discussion, I love malt, I drink the hops, but really like a thick, malty, smooth beer. Stout, barley wine, something to chew on.

ok. next time i see something from them i'll pick it up
  • Evan_BEvan_B
    Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Wilco Tango Foxtrot should be coming out in the next month. That is my recommendation.
  • ThymThym
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

Wilco Tango Foxtrot should be coming out in the next month. That is my recommendation.

Ok, i will keep my eyes peeled. shouldn't be too hard to find around here.
  • jlwjlw
    Evan_B said:

Lakewood said:

Benvarine said:

Lakewood said:

Evan_B said:

This is a really good beer
  • jlwjlw
    Also agree with Brown Sugga and Liittle Sumpin Sumpin
  • scoobscoob
    C_dubbs said:

I like this phrase....
    Jesus didn't wear pants