Proper temp for bulk aging or extended bottle storage?
  • C_BC_B
    With bulk aging either in a keg or in a carboy what is the maximum temp to maintain long term stability?
    Is there a minimum temp (above freezing)?
    What about bottles?
    Most of what I'm talking about would be bigger beers that need aging. Not overflow of the more sessionable brews.

I have a root cellar that I want to turn into storage this summer I'm not sure what temp it maintains, but i suspect upper 50s to low 60s. My basement gets up into the low 70s during the summer so I'm afraid that is too warm.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    from what i gather, it's more temperature stability than the actual temp. still, i'd go with the root cellar. that sounds like a great temp to keep things at.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    50-55 is perfect.
    70 is a little too warm, if you can avoid it, i woulnd't suggest aging anything above 65 for very long.
    on the cold side, you don't want to drop much below 45. doesn't hurt anything (like the warm temps do) if just seriously slows the aging process so if you are aging for proper flavor, like a barleywine, it will take much longer below 45
  • C_BC_B
    Hmm. I want to make a couple big beers sooner rather than later. I need to drop a remote thermometer in the root cellar to see what kind of temp it is maintaining.
  • C_BC_B
    Coming up: root cellar beer cellar conversion/build. Starting spring 2012.