Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (1)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Wicked Angel brew and swap.
  • C_BC_B
    This idea was split from TKT. Props should be given to Frydogbrews for coming up with the idea. I think.

Here's the deal. Pile in here if you want to brew Lakewood's Wicked Angel kit. Then we'll play pass the bottle so we can see how the variance in each other's brewing system and techniques affect the same kit. Since I haven't run this by Lakewood yet this is more of an engagement to an engagement. If the price Lakewood sets is okay with everyone we can solidify the variables later.

Please also indicate weather you prefer extract or AG or if you cannot do one or the other. Extract would cost more, but it may yield more consistent results. AG would give a more interesting profile of each individual brewer.

I'm in and I have the capability to do either AG or extract. I would prefer AG.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i'm in and would prefer DME, but truly don't care that much
  • C_BC_B
    DME would be easier to control as a group for sure. Everyone's system has different nuances that we've adjusted our recipes to. Can I change my vote?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    of course.
  • ThymThym
    here is a link to order the extract 5 gallon kit:
    http://homebrewforums.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_10&products_id=2

if i can figure a way to bring the price of DME down, i'll reflect that in the price, but this is the best I can do right now.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Ordered.
  • jlwjlw
    I'm in depending on when everyone wants to do this. Also, are following the recipe to exact? Or will be allowed to dry hop?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    i will be dry hopping mine for sure. i'm not some heathen that doesn't dry hop a IIPA, i have standards!
  • ThymThym
    I figure it a - here's the starting point - make it as is or tell us what you did to it, type deal.

I'm interested in learning what the dry hopped version will taste like. Also intrgiued by any other tweaks you may do.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    hey @lakewood, i can't seem to login to the marketplace. i tried using my normal acct. but that didn't work. so i thought maybe i needed to make a new one for the marketplace (because its a separate deal) and it tells me my email is not real. my email is real though.
  • ThymThym
    I'm hoping to integrate the authentication between the two apps soon, but for now you do have to setup a separate account. I'm not sure why its not accepting the email addy. I assume its the same one you used to setup your account here, right. I'll check it out as soon as I can and post a response.
  • ThymThym
    FYI the ordering system has been fixed.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    ok fellers, i realize this isn't exactly how we planned this.....but here is my version of the wicked angel
    http://hopville.com/recipe/1121530/imperial-ipa-recipes/missouri-wicked-angel
    brewing it today and will be happy to send some bottles around to swap for your versions. the biggest weirdness here is that i used no water in this recipe, just sugar maple sap. also, i had to bump up flavor hops, i yam who i yam!
  • ThymThym
    Ended up buying hops at LHBS for the kits today. Bought the malt in a 50lb bag, split it up ready to send out.

Lots of fun cleaning up after splitting 50lbs of DME into 3lb bags and vacuum sealing them.
  • C_BC_B
    Fry, I look forward to the twist.
    Lake, I think you are sarcastic?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    ok folks, come one, people need to join us with this endeavor!
    for reasons beyond anybody's control, one person dropped out of this swap, so lake has a kit all made up, if you order it by sunday night, he will personally sign his name in rhinestones under the inside flap! that's a collectors item right there.
    people that like brewing and hoppy beers, brew it and join the swap, big fun and costs the same as ordering a kit from austin or midwest or something.
    @benvarine
    @ferminator
    @lothos
  • LothosLothos

for reasons beyond anybody's control, one person dropped out of this swap, so lake has a kit all made up, if you order it by sunday night, he will personally sign his name in rhinestones under the inside flap! that's a collectors item right there.
    people that like brewing and hoppy beers, brew it and join the swap, big fun and costs the same as ordering a kit from austin or midwest or something.
    @benvarine
    @ferminator
    @lothos

I dont care for IPA's sorry
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Lothos said:

@benvarine
    @ferminator
    @lothos

no worries. i'm thinking the next swap could be something dark.. Chocolate Raspberry Stout maybe?
  • LothosLothos
    Lakewood said:

Lothos said:

@benvarine
    @ferminator
    @lothos

no worries. i'm thinking the next swap could be something dark.. Chocolate Raspberry Stout maybe?

now that sounds better just get me the reciepy and ill get the ingreadiants here at my local HBS

I might even send you some home grown hops along with the package
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Lothos said:

Lakewood said:

Lothos said:

@benvarine
    @ferminator
    @lothos

now that sounds better just get me the reciepy and ill get the ingreadiants here at my local HBS

I'll post the all-grain version soon.
  • C_BC_B
    Lothos said:

You're my new friend.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

Lothos said:

You're my new friend.

white devils
  • BenvarineBenvarine

@benvarine
    @ferminator
    @lothos

I hate to miss out on the rhinestone signature, but I bought the Mo Wicked Angel receipe today, minus the maple sap. I have Monday off work to brew so couldn't wait, sorry Lake, next time I'll order from you. That receipe was f-in expensive. This stuff better turn out great. I'll bottle in 22's to send one, does that work?

• ThymThym
    Benvarine said:

@benvarine
    @ferminator
    @lothos

I hate to miss out on the rhinestone signature, but I bought the Mo Wicked Angel receipe today, minus the maple sap. I have Monday off work to brew so couldn't wait, sorry Lake, next time I'll order from you. That receipe was f-in expensive. This stuff better turn out great. I'll bottle in 22's to send one, does that work?

It's my house favorite. I've brewed it a solid 5 or 6 times. keep the fermentation cool and let it finish out clean. If it's done right, it should finish crystal clear (you should be able to use a filled glass like a convex lens.

That said i have a batch im drinking now that is not crystal clear. it's good. but not as good as some of the bottles i still have from two batches ago -- that batch turned out perfect. the taste is super crisp.

22oz is great, even a 12 would work.
  • ThymThym
    BTW - how much did the kit cost you? just curious to see where my prices line up.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    Lakewood said:

BTW - how much did the kit cost you? just curious to see where my prices line up.

I bought the dry hops in Fry's receipe. It was around $80, a little over. He gave me 10% off and I had a $15 sort of frequent buyer card, so my total was $65. Not including yeast which I forgot to buy or whirfloc, which I need to restock. On that, how much yeast do you use? Fry listed two types, one pack of each or both? Both are pitched after cooling right?

All in all, it seems your pricing is spot on, but I have tomorrow to brew and didn't have a choice, some full weekends coming up.