CFC or IC or Plate Chiller
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,449
    I know I'm risking getting banned from this site for asking a brewing question but here goes.

    Going to upgrade my wort chiller soon. Torn between a CFC and IC. I think I've ruled out plate chiller due to the clogging issues and how hard they are clean if that happens (or so I've been advised). I've been looking at the Hydra IC which seems to chill boiling wort to 68 in around 5 min (depending on water temp). The CFC would be nice because you're transferring at the same time, but you need more equipment like a pump.

    Any of guys use a CFC? Here's a link to the Hydra. It looks pretty beast.

    https://jadedbrewing.com/products/the-hydra
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 107,746
    I have a CFC that I built. I like it because it's hard plumbed into the setup and ready to go, just turn on the pump and the water valve. That immersion chiller you linked looks pretty serious. The only issue with immersion chillers is you have to move the wort around to get good cooling, otherwise it chills much slower than the website is suggesting.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Posts: 79,348
    I used an IC when I started. Worked great but like like lake said you have to move the wort somehow or it will chill MUCH slower. Even just a gentle stir will do.
    Then I switched to a homemade CFC. It worked or whatever, but the biggest striking difference for me was sanitation. I can SEE the IC is clean. I cleaned the CFC before and after every brew but I never had the same level of comfort around sanitation. But that might be me.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Posts: 65,453
    I’m with CB. I went back to an IC after messing around with CFC and a plate chiller. The simplicity wins.


    Order some WD-40 from amazon and meet me at the dock --
    Thym

  • JerryJerry
    Posts: 78,567
    I don't know your rig, and I had to Google IC and CFC because it's been so long, but to answer your question with a question: how fast do you need to chill? I could see many advantages to a small cheap CFC with a limited flow rate. But as they get bigger they might as well be a plate chiller for cleaning. IC sure are hard to fuck up.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 47,189
    I want to switch to counter flow chilling, nut only as part of a permanent brewrig. Until i'm ready to drop any more cash on my setup i'm happy with my immersion coil
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 50,473
    Yeah, the real beauty of an IC is that you can let it boil in the wort for 15 minutes, and have absolutely no sanitation worries
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • ceanntceannt
    Posts: 50,473
    That said, I like the elegance of a CFC. But... sanitation and either requiring a pump, or the ability to raise your kettle high enough to use gravity rules one out for me.
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • JerryJerry
    Posts: 78,567
    ceannt said:

    Yeah, the real beauty of an IC is that you can let it boil in the wort for 15 minutes, and have absolutely no sanitation worries



    If you're running a pump you can do the same by recirculating through a CFC or PC without cooling water.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Posts: 47,189
    Jerry said:

    ceannt said:

    Yeah, the real beauty of an IC is that you can let it boil in the wort for 15 minutes, and have absolutely no sanitation worries



    If you're running a pump you can do the same by recirculating through a CFC or PC without cooling water.


    Yes. Sanitizes the pump too
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 107,746
    Fuzzy said:

    Jerry said:

    ceannt said:

    Yeah, the real beauty of an IC is that you can let it boil in the wort for 15 minutes, and have absolutely no sanitation worries



    If you're running a pump you can do the same by recirculating through a CFC or PC without cooling water.


    Yes. Sanitizes the pump too


    That's how my system is set up.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    Posts: 16,449
    I think I'm going to go with another IC but one not hastily built by me, One that is efficient. Funny story, I bought a hop spider and used for the first time last brew day. Noticed my Current IC may not fit in the kettle with the spider so decided to uncoil and then recoil tighter while the boil was going on. I ended up crimping the IC in a couple of places, not so bad it didn't work but I'm sure slowed the flow down.

    CurlyFat
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Posts: 65,453
    jlw said:

    I think I'm going to go with another IC but one not hastily built by me, One that is efficient. Funny story, I bought a hop spider and used for the first time last brew day. Noticed my Current IC may not fit in the kettle with the spider so decided to uncoil and then recoil tighter while the boil was going on. I ended up crimping the IC in a couple of places, not so bad it didn't work but I'm sure slowed the flow down.



    I have an IC I bought commercially that you can have for shipping costs. It cools 10+ gallons in around 10-15 minutes.


    Order some WD-40 from amazon and meet me at the dock --
    Thym

  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Posts: 18,005
    Was it JZ that designed the whirlpool chiller? Basically an IC and a pump recirculating wort with the return bent 90 degrees. That looks like the best of basic.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ThymThym
    Posts: 107,746

    Was it JZ that designed the whirlpool chiller? Basically an IC and a pump recirculating wort with the return bent 90 degrees. That looks like the best of basic.



    once you have wort flowing through the pump and tubing you have the same sanitation issues as a CFC.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    Posts: 18,005
    Thym said:

    Was it JZ that designed the whirlpool chiller? Basically an IC and a pump recirculating wort with the return bent 90 degrees. That looks like the best of basic.



    once you have wort flowing through the pump and tubing you have the same sanitation issues as a CFC.


    You can pump hot wort. It will cavitate if it’s boiling, but is fine with some head or a few degrees off boiling.
    Sign here______________________________
  • JerryJerry
    Posts: 78,567

    Thym said:

    Was it JZ that designed the whirlpool chiller? Basically an IC and a pump recirculating wort with the return bent 90 degrees. That looks like the best of basic.



    once you have wort flowing through the pump and tubing you have the same sanitation issues as a CFC.


    You can pump hot wort. It will cavitate if it’s boiling, but is fine with some head or a few degrees off boiling.


    Tehehehe