Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (2)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Direct fired single vessel BIAB.
  • C_BC_B
    I've proven repeatedly that I can't/won't brew outside like I'm set up now. I've been thinking about RIMS, all electric, BIAB, basically any combination that would allow me to brew 5 gallon batches in the kitchen without using the stove. So follow me on this...

Keggle with a 5500+ watt element mounted as low as possible. (i could easily pull in a 50A circuit to run a hotter element)
    False bottom build to sit about 1" above the element.
    Control the element with a PID.
    BIAB mash while recirculating from the bottom and returning on top of the grain.
    Pull the bag and ramp to boil.

Why won't that work?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    C_B said:

I've proven repeatedly that I can't/won't brew outside like I'm set up now. I've been thinking about RIMS, all electric, BIAB, basically any combination that would allow me to brew 5 gallon batches in the kitchen without using the stove. So follow me on this...

Keggle with a 5500+ watt element mounted as low as possible. (i could easily pull in a 50A circuit to run a hotter element)
    BIAB mash while recirculating from the bottom and returning on top of the grain.

Why won't that work?

Sounds reasonable. Do you plan to sparge at all? Or just say screw efficiency?

"Can't not finish it if you never start it.
    "
    - C_B

• C_BC_B
    DrCurly said:

C_B said:

Why won't that work?

I've seen some BIAB setups that don't sparge and still get reasonable efficiency. I can't find any of those examples right now...
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    C_B said:

DrCurly said:

C_B said:

Why won't that work?

I've seen some BIAB setups that don't sparge and still get reasonable efficiency. I can't find any of those examples right now...

I'm suspicious, but intrigued.

I would think you could still sort-of sparge by pouring water over it or something.

"
    - C_B

• C_BC_B
    DrCurly said:

C_B said:

DrCurly said:

C_B said:

Why won't that work?

I would think you could still sort-of sparge by pouring water over it or something.

That's option two. My understanding is BIAB is usually mashed thin anyway, like quite thin. That will improve efficiency. I would think higher gravity brews would see drastically lower efficiency with no sparge.
  • C_BC_B
    Plus, in the setup I'm describing I'd lose at least 2 gallons below the false bottom. The mash would be epic thin assuming those system constraints.
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    C_B said:

DrCurly said:

C_B said:

DrCurly said:

C_B said:

Why won't that work?

That's option two. My understanding is BIAB is usually mashed thin anyway, like quite thin. That will improve efficiency. I would think higher gravity brews would see drastically lower efficiency with no sparge.

I recall a mash that was too thin caused problems, but I'm so far out of the nerdery of brewing I can't remember what that problem was.

"
    - C_B

• C_BC_B
    DrCurly said:

C_B said:

DrCurly said:

C_B said:

DrCurly said:

C_B said:

Why won't that work?

I recall a mash that was too thin caused problems, but I'm so far out of the nerdery of brewing I can't remember what that problem was.

Tannins probably. It's always tannins
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    C_B said:

DrCurly said:

C_B said:

DrCurly said:

C_B said:

DrCurly said:

C_B said:

Why won't that work?

Tannins probably. It's always tannins

It's always the tannins....

No, really, i think it was efficiency concerns, but those kinds of things are de-bunked all the time, so who knows.

"
    - C_B

• CurlyFatCurlyFat
    Enzymes too diluted or something scientific sounding...

"
    - C_B

• C_BC_B
    DrCurly said:

That might be. I'd like to see @ceannt opinion.
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat
    C_B said:

DrCurly said:

That might be. I'd like to see @ceannt opinion.

we're going to need a bigger page.

"
    - C_B

• JerryJerry
    DrCurly said:

That sounds bogus to me. And if it was a real problem, just add a little time.
  • CurlyFatCurlyFat

DrCurly said:

Exactly. Like I said, I don't remember why I use to care about grain/water ratio. There was some reason for it.

"
    - C_B

• JerryJerry
    DrCurly said:

DrCurly said:

Exactly. Like I said, I don't remember why I use to care about grain/water ratio. There was some reason for it.

better efficiency if you go thick and do three batch spagres.
  • JerryJerry
    Seems like BIAB could have a quick dip in some water to really up the efficiency, but I get that would also make it far more complex.
  • C_BC_B

Seems like BIAB could have a quick dip in some water to really up the efficiency, but I get that would also make it far more complex.

Just pulling it up and rinsing it with a gallon or two might do the trick. I haven't mathed any of this, I'm just wondering if the single vessel idea makes a lick of sense.
  • JerryJerry
    Just do it. You'll see if it works. Worst case, you get wimpy beer.
  • C_BC_B

To do this is would need appropriate bulkheads installed into the kettle. A heating element. PID wired to the element. A false bottom custom made and a huge grain bag.

That's a couple hundred away? That's workable.

Oh, and clean the pump. Because I think that is where I'm getting the funk.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

Just pulling it up and rinsing it with a gallon or two might do the trick. I haven't mathed any of this, I'm just wondering if the single vessel idea makes a lick of sense.

Thats what i did to start brewing all grain. Single vessel system biab. Sparge by pouring filtered water through the top of the bag after letting it drain. Worked great. Not sure why i switched to a two vessel system.

Oh i thought a more complex meant more better. I was wrong

The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

To do this is would need appropriate bulkheads installed into the kettle. A heating element. PID wired to the element. A false bottom custom made and a huge grain bag.

Honestly, unless you plan on doing complex step mashes, the pump is not necessary.
  • ThymThym
    Oh and thebfalse bottom isnt really necessary either. You're brewing in a bag.thats the best false bottom you can find.
  • ThymThym

C_B
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

Honestly, unless you plan on doing complex step mashes, the pump is not necessary.

I don't really. But I need the pump to chill the batch, so I might as well recirc the whole time to insure even heat distribution.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Oh and thebfalse bottom isnt really necessary either. You're brewing in a bag.thats the best false bottom you can find.

Agreed. But I'd like to make absolutely sure the bag won't sink down far enough to sit on top of the heating element. Plus, the false bottom would be an extra line of filtration at the end.
  • JerryJerry
    C_B said:

Lakewood said:

Agreed. But I'd like to make absolutely sure the bag won't sink down far enough to sit on top of the heating element. Plus, the false bottom would be an extra line of filtration at the end.

Borrow the rack from your toaster oven.