Fire cider
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

This is great for colds or allergies. I like to think of it as a chemical neti pot that you drink. The main ingredient is a live apple cider vinegar. Bragg's is the most available national brand, I'm sure it would work well enough with pasteurized vinegar too.
    Step one: fill a mason jar with:
    Pealed chopped garlic
    " "" " ginger
    "" "" horse radish
    Some turmeric if I feel like it
    Fresh hot peppers or red pepper flakes

If you are afflicted with a great deal of lung congestion also add:
    Fennel seed
    Star anise

Cover with vinegar and let steep at room temperature for a few weeks to a few years.
    If you need it sooner toss it all in a blender and strain before drinking.

I often add some whiskey to it. I've used brine I've pickled hot peppers in with great success too. Add whatever you want, just aim for things that are going to burn your insides in the right way.

Many people drink it in a shot glass. Depending on my ailment, I often add a little to hot water and honey and inhale the vapors as I sip it.

FYI "fire cider" is trade marked right now, but that won't last long as it is an establish general term for a family of tonics.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    You scared me when you mentioned neti pot. I'm glad a kept reading to the part where you explained it's for drinking.
    Sign here______________________________
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle

You scared me when you mentioned neti pot. I'm glad a kept reading to the part where you explained it's for drinking.

Ha! It would work better that way...though I think I'll edit it for those who don't read all the way through.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    this sounds so awful i might have to try it.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny