Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (2)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Bottle Carbing
  • ThymThym
    This discussion was created from comments split from: TKT - No Holds Barred.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • JerryJerry
    For bottle carbing is it alright to add a very small amount of any old yeast?
  • ThymThym
    depends on the alcohol content of the finished beer. if it's above about 7% i'd use a wine or champagne yeast, otherwise you may end up with a bunch of bottles of flat beer. beyond that, as long as it is a clean culture whatever it is shouldn't have much of an effect on flavor since it's such a minimal fermentation.
  • JerryJerry
    Thanks lake. I might have something like that around.
  • C_BC_B
    Probably stating the obvious here, but it's best to mix this with the priming sugar in the bottling bucket or whatever rather than attempt to put just bit in each bottle.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

Probably stating the obvious here, but it's best to mix this with the priming sugar in the bottling bucket or whatever rather than attempt to put just bit in each bottle.

definitely easier that way.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    i doubt many of us would go through the trouble unless it was a particularly special brew, but they do make yeast strains specifically for bottle conditioning.

http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/cbc-1-cask-bottle-conditioned-beer-yeast
    "Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • JerryJerry
    C_B said:

Good point. But this time I'm just bottling a few so I'm skipping the bucket.

• C_BC_B

i doubt many of us would go through the trouble unless it was a particularly special brew, but they do make yeast strains specifically for bottle conditioning.

Well howdy doody.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • JerryJerry
    C_B said:

Well howdy doody.

Yeah, that is nifty, I'd like to try using as the only yeast for a beer...but for this I'll probably use bread yeast.
  • JerryJerry
    (Not really, I have some old wine yeast stashed in the briney depths of the refrigerator door)
  • ThymThym

(Not really, I have some old wine yeast stashed in the briney depths of the refrigerator door)

this doesnt really sound any better than some fleischmanns
  • ceanntceannt
    Sounds a little scary.... how about kegging, force carbing, and bottling from there?
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

Sounds a little scary.... how about kegging, force carbing, and bottling from there?

only works if you have a kegging system.
  • JerryJerry

ceannt said:

only works if you have a kegging system.

This
  • ceanntceannt
    wait.... you mean that I am not the only guy on the planet that doesn't have a kegging system??????
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • JerryJerry
    ceannt said:

wait.... you mean that I am not the only guy on the planet that doesn't have a kegging system??????

Well, I have a cask system, but it's just a syphon in a 55gal drum of flat beer.
  • FuzzyFuzzy

ceannt said:

Well, I have a cask system, but it's just a syphon in a 55gal drum of flat beer.

carb it in the drum and attach one of these deals.

http://www.rvplus.com/leisure-components-hand-pump-131-5-low-boy-131-5.html?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=cse&utm_content=CS-27163&utm_campaign=shopzilla&CA_6C15C=600008500000115023
  • JerryJerry

ceannt said:

carb it in the drum and attach one of these deals.

http://www.rvplus.com/leisure-components-hand-pump-131-5-low-boy-131-5.html?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=cse&utm_content=CS-27163&utm_campaign=shopzilla&CA_6C15C=600008500000115023

Those drums can't hold more that 2 or 3 psi, I looked into it.