Counter-Flow Chiller
  • ThymThym
    Here's a counter-flow heat exchanger design that works pretty durn well. I use it with a re-circulating pump to bring wort from the brew kettle through the inner piping run and return it back to the brew kettle. Doing it this way i can lower the bulk temperature of the wort below hop alpha acid isomerization temperature very quickly and get the most out of my late hop additions.
    IMG00049-20111212-2135.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 110K
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    I've asked this other places, but how many linear feet of chiller is there? Let's say just the part where the wort is jacketed. Not included the ends and elbows and such.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    approx. 10 ft of total length, mabe 12, whatever i happened to have in my garage.

if it was 10 ft that gives it about 188 sq in of contact surface area.
  • jeepinjeepinjeepinjeepin
    There are plans for something similar in last months BYO.
    Sign here______________________________
  • ThymThym

Interesting I'll have to look for the article. This was built in Dec 2010.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Interesting I'll have to look for the article. This was built in Dec 2010.

http://byo.com/component/k2/item/2849-double-pipe-wort-chiller-projects
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

approx. 10 ft of total length, mabe 12, whatever i happened to have in my garage.

So it's half inch pipe?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

So it's half inch pipe?

the inner pipe is 1/2, outer is 3/4
  • ThymThym
    they used pvc for the outer pipe, that works well and is cheaper. but only for a "cool" only application.

I used copper over copper in my design because i have plans to someday add a heating element, reservoir and second pump to the system and use the outer tube to recirculate heated water or even oil, for a HERMS configuration. PVC wouldnt be able to hold up to the heat.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

they used pvc for the outer pipe, that works well and is cheaper. but only for a "cool" only application.

I used copper over copper in my design because i have plans to someday add a heating element, reservoir and second pump to the system and use the outer tube to recirculate heated water or even oil, for a HERMS configuration. PVC wouldnt be able to hold up to the heat.

That's why I didn't like PVC. I couldn't remember. Good call.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

Lakewood said:

I like the use of silicone tubing to connect the pipe runs though, that's a nice touch and let's you run a brush through there to really clean it.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

I like the use of silicone tubing to connect the pipe runs though, that's a nice touch and let's you run a brush through there to really clean it.

It also saves a fair amount of money on fittings. Those little elbows are expensive.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

Lakewood said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

It also saves a fair amount of money on fittings. Those little elbows are expensive.

Also true, but that tubing isn't cheap either. Not sure the cost difference.
  • C_BC_B
    I'm not sure what I was looking at while ago when I first priced what i thought this would cost but I estimated 150 based on the material list. I must have been planning to make a big one. Looks like I can get the material for 20' plus fitting for ~60 if I keep the runs long. That should be enough, right? Good lord I would think. And it has to be way more efficient than the POS immersion chiller I'm using now.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

C_B said:

Lakewood said:

Also true, but that tubing isn't cheap either. Not sure the cost difference.

The cheap grade of pipe is ~$1/ft for 1/2" and ~$1.40/ft for 3/4"
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    If you pack the inside (wort tube) with chore boy scrubbing pads you can get a lot more cooling out of a given length.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B

If you pack the inside (wort tube) with chore boy scrubbing pads you can get a lot more cooling out of a given length.

That sounds like an infection waiting to happen.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    C_B said:

Just run it for ten minutes without cooling water. And remove the packing between brews.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    You can reuse is, but some care is needed
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

I don't think it would wait if you forgot to remove it, but the open end design would allow it to be removed.
  • C_BC_B
    I'm going to build a heat exchanger this weekend. I think I'll get two 10' sticks of each diameter pipe and go from there. The question is how long do I want it? Longer run would be cheaper (less fittings) but a shorter run would increase efficiency slightly by causing turbulent flow through the fittings (slightly) and be easier to store/move around.

I'm thinking 5'. (4) 5' runs.
  • C_BC_B
    Since I'm going to do the silcone hose on the ends draining should be a non issue. An even number of runs will put all of my connections on one end. That's handy.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

Since I'm going to do the silcone hose on the ends draining should be a non issue. An even number of runs will put all of my connections on one end. That's handy.

post build pics!
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

post build pics!

I'll make a thread.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

I'm going to build a heat exchanger this weekend. I think I'll get two 10' sticks of each diameter pipe and go from there. The question is how long do I want it? Longer run would be cheaper (less fittings) but a shorter run would increase efficiency slightly by causing turbulent flow through the fittings (slightly) and be easier to store/move around.

mine is pretty short, but that was because i wanted to mount it on my brewrig as shown in the pic.

i dont think it will make much of a different at the flow rates involve. the distance before you reach laminar flow will be really short at such low reynolds number.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

Lakewood said:

C_B said:

post build pics!

I'll make a thread.

Woo!
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

C_B said:

mine is pretty short, but that was because i wanted to mount it on my brewrig as shown in the pic.

i dont think it will make much of a different at the flow rates involve. the distance before you reach laminar flow will be really short at such low reynolds number.

When I'm not talking to an engineer, I'll reference that.
  • C_BC_B
    At 5' lengths I can cut it in half if the length chaps me. I should be able to cut it in half, trim off the outer pipe and assemble new fittings on the new ends. This could be accomplished with minimal disassembly I think.
  • ThymThym
    C_B said:

At 5' lengths I can cut it in half if the length chaps me. I should be able to cut it in half, trim off the outer pipe and assemble new fittings on the new ends. This could be accomplished with minimal disassembly I think.

yeah, that wouldn't be bad. you'll lose a little jacketed length, but not much, maybe an inch per original pipe assembly.