Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Categories

In this Discussion

Note to Visitors: Many posts have uploaded pictures that are only visible to logged in members. You may sign up for free and you will be able to see them.

Top Leaders

Top Posters

Who's Online (0)

Feeling generous? Help keep HBF running.
Get the sticker that shows them how you really feel.
Extract Brewing
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    It's been a long, long time since I have used extract. Previously, the high cost of the extract was what kept me full time with all grain, but I recently bought a nice 50# sack of pale dme. I know a few of you guys still occasionally make extract beer, so gimme a little direction here.

In your opinions and experience, which styles lend themselves well to extract brewing? I'm talking extract only or extract w/steeping grains. If I was going to mash any grain, I might as well do all grain.

"Oh, you were serious? I was drunk."-C_B
  • ceanntceannt
    extract and steeping grains work well for any style that doesn't need any kind of "special" mash (decoction... high or low mash temps... etc.) or any ingredient that would need to be mashed... oats... flaked barley... multiple base malts...
    for an American IPA an extract/steeping grain approach works just as well as all grain...
    In wine there is wisdom.
    In beer there is freedom.
    In water there is bacteria.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

extract and steeping grains work well for any style that doesn't need any kind of "special" mash (decoction... high or low mash temps... etc.) or any ingredient that would need to be mashed... oats... flaked barley... multiple base malts...
    for an American IPA an extract/steeping grain approach works just as well as all grain...

i know that hoppy beers (apa, ipa) should work fine. but i figure i'll have to avoid some of the malt forward beer, like esb, scotch ale, etc.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Really, I'd just like to try and gather a list of beers that I can browse to help with the old 'what to brew next' question.
  • ceanntceannt
    if you get MO extract... an ESB is OK... a Scotch Ale.... just no... if you get munich extract.. an Alt would be OK

Note: the all grain versions of the above are better, but the extract ones are passable...
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • ceanntceannt
    One of the best English IPAs I ever had was an extract /steeping grain brew... I was really shocked when I found out it wasn't all grain
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    so, off the top of my head:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Belgian Golden Strong Ale
    blonde

i'm sure there are more, but i'll amend the list later.
  • ceanntceannt
    the secret is to only use fresh extract....
    Only add a little for the boil ... and the rest at 15 minutes... (OK so hop calcs get a little silly, but it ain't that hard)

Boil a lot of extract for an hour... and it starts to get a little of that.. "twang"
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

if you get MO extract... an ESB is OK... a Scotch Ale.... just no... if you get munich extract.. an Alt would be OK

Note: the all grain versions of the above are better, but the extract ones are passable...

could, but won't. i have a big bag of pale extract (from american pale malt), so i'm focusing on beers that would be good for that as the base.
  • ceanntceannt

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    blonde

scratch the Belgian Golden/Strong... that needs VERY low mash temps for attenuation

Add American Amber Ale
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

the secret is to only use fresh extract....
    Only add a little for the boil ... and the rest at 15 minutes... (OK so hop calcs get a little silly, but it ain't that hard)

Boil a lot of extract for an hour... and it starts to get a little of that.. "twang"

i was planning on adding X amount after 'sparging' or whatever you call it with the specialty/steeping grains, then adding the bulk of the extract late in the boil.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    blonde

scratch the Belgian Golden/Strong... that needs VERY low mash temps for attenuation

Add American Amber Ale

i'm picky with american amber. i like to use flavorful base malts, so i probably wouldn't ever try an extract version.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    amended list:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Schwartz
    blonde
    orange kolsch
    Dampfbier
    Flavored porter
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    blonde

Add American Amber Ale

i'm picky with american amber. i like to use flavorful base malts, so i probably wouldn't ever try an extract version.

So .... I'm not the only one that puts a lot of munich in ambers? ???
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    blonde

Add American Amber Ale

I even use my cheater decoction mash on mine...
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    blonde

Add American Amber Ale

I even use my cheater decoction mash on mine...

OK ... this is just getting scary ...
    In wine there is wisdom.
  • JerryJerry
    I listed to a thing on NPR about dumplings today which made me think of this. They were talking about how dumplings were a poor person food from a time where meat was expensive and time was cheap. Some similar economics are at play with extract brewing. I've never brewed extract beer, but i've had good stuff. I'd brew more than twice a year if it didn't take a full day.
    In bacteria there is wisdom.
    In beer there is water.
    In freedom there is wine.
  • C_BC_B

I listed to a thing on NPR about dumplings today which made me think of this. They were talking about how dumplings were a poor person food from a time where meat was expensive and time was cheap. Some similar economics are at play with extract brewing. I've never brewed extract beer, but i've had good stuff. I'd brew more than twice a year if it didn't take a full day.

But extract is faster and more expensive than all grain? I'm failing to see your point.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • JerryJerry
    C_B said:

But extract is faster and more expensive than all grain? I'm failing to see your point.

It's the opposite of dumplings.
    In beer there is water.
  • ThymThym
    You can brew a good wit or hefe with extract. Snow Storm originated as an extract recipe.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

You can brew a good wit or hefe with extract. Snow Storm originated as an extract recipe.

but i don't have wheat extract. :(

i was thinking of just mashing the wheat portion and using dme for the barley, but that just sounds like a nightmare sparge. plus, if i already have to mash, i might as well just do a proper all grain brew.
  • JerryJerry

Lakewood said:

i was thinking of just mashing the wheat portion and using dme for the barley, but that just sounds like a nightmare sparge. plus, if i already have to mash, i might as well just do a proper all grain brew.

then get some
    In beer there is water.
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

then get some

i would get wheat extract.

and pay attention to the content of the wheat extract. most are 60% wheat 40% Barley, some are 50/50. try to keep the grain ration the same as the AG recipe.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Lakewood said:

then get some

no. i don't need 50# of it and smaller portions are way too dang expensive.
  • C_BC_B
    Lakewood said:

Lakewood said:

then get some

i would get wheat extract.

and pay attention to the content of the wheat extract. most are 60% wheat 40% Barley, some are 50/50. try to keep the grain ration the same as the AG recipe.

This.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy

amended list:

APA
    IPA
    Mild Ale
    Stout-maybe
    Schwartz
    blonde
    orange kolsch
    Dampfbier
    Flavored porter

i feel like tossing some half batches together to have some beer in bottles in case i actually have an octoberfest party. probably start with the mild, ipa, and either the orange kolsch, a cream ale, or something off the wall with caramelized lactose.