What pump do I want?
  • C_BC_B
    Daddy is buying something for the brewery for Father's day. I'm going to get a refractometer for suresies. If I can eek out a pump too I will. But I'm not sure which one.

The March 809 seems to be the old standby.
    The March 815 is supposed to be a high flow version of the 809, but it is only 1gpm faster. And neither are self priming.
    Chugger has a nice SS option here for the same price as the March, but again no self priming.

I don't think self priming is a big deal, but I drink when I brew and I'd rather not give myself (or a helper) the opportunity to smoke a pump.

The Chugger seems like the best just because it is stainless, but I don't really know.

Are there any other options?
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    there are no self priming pumps in this class that im aware of. i have the chugger. overall i'd say it's a good pump for the money.

the important thing is to make it easy to prime the system. mount the pump low and make it easy to let the air out of the lines to the pump by using quick disconnects or a valve.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • C_BC_B
    Like maybe a dump valve right off the output? Did you plumb your rig with 1/2"?
  • ThymThym

Like maybe a dump valve right off the output? Did you plumb your rig with 1/2"?

Yes, 1/2 plumbing for me. And yes on the dump valve. It should be at the lowest point. You may also need an air bleed at the highest point if the plumbing has any rise.
  • C_BC_B
    Doing some reading on the subject.... The March pumps say they cannot be used with a siphon. I'm not exactly what they are referring to but is my 2" dip tube in the BK going to be a problem even with the pump mounted 12"-18" below the kettle?
  • ThymThym

Doing some reading on the subject.... The March pumps say they cannot be used with a siphon. I'm not exactly what they are referring to but is my 2" dip tube in the BK going to be a problem even with the pump mounted 12"-18" below the kettle?

Yes, that's a pretty normal configuration.
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews
    screw that, just get the same kind of chiller as i bought and you don't need a pump. one less thing to clean is always good!
  • FuzzyFuzzy

screw that, just get the same kind of chiller as i bought and you don't need a pump. one less thing to clean is always good!

unless you want to recirculate.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B

unless you want to recirculate.

This. Eventually I want a counterflow chiller of some sort. Right now with my well water I can go from boiling to 70* in 15-20 on 11 gallons with an IC if I stir a little bit. Plus I want to recirc and chill in order to get the whole batch temp dropped as fast as possible.
  • LothosLothos
    Get a thermonater. And a marsh HITEMP pump that's all you will need SPEND THE MONEY it's worth it
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    you might also want to invest in a program that tells you when random caps lock is appropriate.

(never is the right answer) :D

scoobJayrizzle
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • LothosLothos
    When ever I feel like it So there plllllliiiiiibbbbb b
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ThymThym
    Ha.
  • C_BC_B
    Austin is giving a $25 store credit with the purchase of a March 809. Is stainless steel worth an extra $25?
  • frydogbrewsfrydogbrews

Is stainless steel worth an extra $25?

as a life rule.......yes, always
  • C_BC_B

Is stainless steel worth an extra $25?

as a life rule.......yes, always

I sorta thought so. But in this case EVERYBODY uses the food safe March pumps. So I thought I'd ask.
  • C_BC_B
    Realistically by the time I get around to pulling the trigger AHS will be sold out of the merchandise anyway. So it doesn't really matter.
  • LothosLothos

Realistically by the time I get around to pulling the trigger AHS will be sold out of the merchandise anyway. So it doesn't really matter.

BANG
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • C_BC_B
  • C_BC_B
    I just bought a refractometer and a sight glass/thermometer combo so I won't be getting a pump soon. But that's still a deal.
  • scoobscoob
    I love my refractometers, I only use it for pre fermentation, but it's awesome for on the fly preboil measurements, also mid boil to check gravity towards end, so you can hit desired numbers
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • C_BC_B
    azscoob said:

I love my refractometers, I only use it for pre fermentation, but it's awesome for on the fly preboil measurements, also mid boil to check gravity towards end, so you can hit desired numbers

I'm excited. I've been guessing at volumes and waiting till the sample cools off for SGs. I'm really stoked.
  • ThymThym
    azscoob said:

@azscoob
    Next time you brew a batch try it pre and post and use the refractometer wizard at the tools link, also do it the way you are doing it today and post your results. They should be within the margin of uncertainty.

• C_BC_B
    So.... I just bought a used March 809 on eBay for $100. It was either a bangin deal or a rip off. We'll see.
  • scoobscoob
    Lakewood said:

azscoob said:

@azscoob
    Next time you brew a batch try it pre and post and use the refractometer wizard at the tools link, also do it the way you are doing it today and post your results. They should be within the margin of uncertainty.

I will do that, I was going to brew today, going to hold out and shoot for next weekend.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • scoobscoob

So.... I just bought a used March 809 on eBay for $100. It was either a bangin deal or a rip off. We'll see.

As long as nothing is stripped on the pump head I think you scored a good bargain!
    Jesus didn't wear pants