Traditional Irish Red Ale

(Original Gravity) O.G. = 1.053
    (Final Gravity) F.G. = 1.013
    (Bitterness) IBU = 28
    (Color) SRM = 14
    (Alcohol) APV = 5.1%
    Calories per 12-oz bottle =171

For a 6-gallon batch:
    (note: a stronger version of this recipe…. Made with the same ingredients and brewed to 5-gallons… is spectacular)

10.5 pounds Golden Promise Malt
    0.375 pounds Crystal 20
    0.4375 pounds Crystal 60
    0.1875 pounds Roasted Barley (500L)

1-ounce East Kent Goldings 5.8 AA 60-minutes
    0.5-ounce Fuggle 4.3 AA 5-minutes
    S-05 yeast (I like it with S-04 better, but the S-05 is cleaner)

Mash at 155 degrees (1.25 quarts/pound: 3.59 gallons) for 1-hour and 15-minutes. Boil the first runnings hard for 10-minutes.
    Sparge with 170-degree water twice. 3-gallons first sparge, 2.5-gallons second. 20-minute rest for the first sparge, 15-minute rest for the second.
    1-hour boil. Bring to a hard boil, after it “settles” down, lower heat and just barely boil.
    Primary only for 4-weeks. Carb fairly low… a quarter inch of head tops. I like it young, but it’s best after around 2-months.

I developed this recipe after talking to a very old man (well into his 90s) from the coast of Western Ireland. He was staying at the home of some neighbors of a co-worker in Maryland. I took some of the first batch to him…. He took a sip… closed his eyes and smiled…. “ I can hear the fiddle from the back room of the old pub…. and the seagulls outside….. this is as good as a trip home”.

I get the feeling that there was a great deal of variation in this style, not only by region, but even from pub to pub…. Some were darker, some were sweeter, hop rates varied by availability…. And the style was “dumbed down” by commercial breweries in the last 50 years or so.

Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    0.1875 pounds Roasted Barley (500L)? You can't just say 3oz?
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt

Hah
    sorry.... I do all my calculations in pounds and decimal parts.... and forget that the rest of the world uses pounds/ounces.... (I don't use inches either, feet and decimal parts... can't help it, I'm an Engineer with a Land Surveying background)
  • ceanntceannt
    Oh, Maris Otter works for base Malt too.... use it most of the time, but if available, the Golden Promise is a touch better for this.
  • LothosLothos
    LOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOL your funny

=))
    Ain't that a Bitch
  • ceanntceannt
    Well, some idiots in the rest of the world converted to that lame metric system .... so I reckon they don't use ounces either .....

C_B
  • C_BC_B
    ceannt said:

Well, some idiots in the rest of the world converted to that lame metric system .... so I reckon they don't use ounces either .....

"On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • C_BC_B
    @ceannt You win. I'm making this next. I have the ingredients all punched into my wishlist at AHS. I'm going to see how the new LHBS compares first, but this is definitely next.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

Hah
    sorry.... I do all my calculations in pounds and decimal parts.... and forget that the rest of the world uses pounds/ounces.... (I don't use inches either, feet and decimal parts... can't help it, I'm an Engineer with a Land Surveying background)

Understood. I use some crazy measurement systems too. Metrics sound like they'd be good but the unit sizes just aren't right. Meters and Liters are fine when you'd other wise use yards are Qts, but for most things the measurements are just not the right size for any job.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

Hah

Understood. I use some crazy measurement systems too. Metrics sound like they'd be good but the unit sizes just aren't right. Meters and Liters are fine when you'd other wise use yards are Qts, but for most things the measurements are just not the right size for any job.

This
    The units are either too big or too small ......
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

Hah

This

that's what she said. ;))
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • ceanntceannt

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

Hah

This

Not to me she didn't ....
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

ceannt said:

ceannt said:

Hah

This

Not to me she didn't ....

You don't know 80% of what she says. You wouldn't still have a wife if you really listened... or you would be in the loony bin. Heck I'm nearly 30 years younger than you and take in less than 60%.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • ceanntceannt
    Did you say something????
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    ceannt said:

Did you say something????

I forget, but I'm brewing something like this on the 4th.
    -Some guy in Ohio