How to fake being classy
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    This is the end result of me being volunteered to build a bar for a friend of mine. I, until recently, had a big pile of scrap wood sitting in my shed for a while and apparently the wife doesn't like the site of it. So, two weeks ago, she told a good friend of mine that I would build him a bar for his basement. I found all this out shortly after he said yep.

Here comes the challenging part: his basement has a very narrow doorway and staircase. There is no way to build something of any decent size and get it into his basement. Option number 1 was to haul all my tools and wood over to his place and build it there. That would take months to finish, since I wouldn't be able to do any of the work during the week. Option two was to build the bar in sections and haul them over there to be re-assembled on site.

I went with option 2. I didn't get any shots of the actual construction going down, but that's because I was working instead of playing around with cameras. (but mostly because a scrap wood bar looks really ghetto and crappy until it's all put together)

Here's the pieces (bar top, base and three mid sections) followed by the assembled bar.

The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    On a related note, avoid using that premixed lacquer and stain stuff if you've left it in your garage for 5+ years. It's not great when fresh, really crappy to work with after several years.
  • C_BC_B
    Ha! Your wife is really thoughtful. Did the guy at least slip you some greenbacks?

Looks pretty nice actually.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy

Ha! Your wife is really thoughtful. Did the guy at least slip you some greenbacks?

Looks pretty nice actually.

Nah, it's all scrap wood, so the total project cost was only about $40-50, most of which being in the nails/screws. Plus, his birthday is coming up, so now I don't have to buy a present!
  • C_BC_B
    Bang! Wait, you buy friends presents? You're a nice guy.
  • ThymThym
    Nice lookin bar. The only real difference between scrap wood and 'regular' wood is that the scrap was bought for something else.

And I second the pre-stained laquer sentiment. I only used it once. It's pretty crappy.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    Lakewood said:

Nice lookin bar. The only real difference between scrap wood and 'regular' wood is that the scrap was bought for something else.

And I second the pre-stained laquer sentiment. I only used it once. It's pretty crappy.

i did end up buying some extra scrap (value wood) from the hardware store for the trim pieces. 69 cents per board. it's the cut off ends from larger boards that get cut at the store for customers. i love the stuff. they have various sizes and woods, so it's great for little projects like this and easy on the budget.
  • C_BC_B
    I'm going to make some bottle crates using a similar "thrifty" technique sometime. I might even use crappy laquer to bring it full circle.
  • scoobscoob
    I have a 12 foot bar in my house, all knotty pine and such to remind me of the cabin I rarely get to in northern Wisconsin.

100% scrap wood from the Dumpsters from the construction of the other houses in my neighborhood. Just took some work with a planer, a joiner and a bunch of dowel rods and glue.
    Jesus didn't wear pants
  • ceanntceannt
    The title of this thread sounds like the story of my life ....

Thym
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.