Anyone know if these are for 3/16 or 1/4 inch beer line?
  • flyfisherwesflyfisherwes
    http://www.kegcowboy.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=190

It doesn't say on the site and I want to go ahead and order asap.
  • C_BC_B
    I think these are probably 1/4, but they'll take 3/16 beer line. At least that's what mine are I'm fairly certain.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • ThymThym
    The barb on the gas qd is 1/4, the one on the beer qd is 3/16.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • ThymThym
    @flyfisherwes see above.
    Will they take 1/4 inch beer line? Hopefully they answer me tomorrow because I asked them but I have 1/4 inch and i can't see why bigger wouldn't be better if I can get by with it.
  • ThymThym
    bigger has a lower pressure drop per foot, meaning you end up needing more of it for a balanced system.

in a balanced system the pressure inside the keg is equal to the ambient pressure + the dynamic pressure drop from the beer flowing through the lines fittings and tap at a smooth pour speed.

If you dont have enough line resistance your pours will be fast, foamy and ultimately unfulfilling.

Using 1/4 inch lines on a 3/16 barb could either be fine (because you clamped down really well) or it will leak a bit. it's usually better to go the other way, although some line types cant be stretched enough to make that work..
  • C_BC_B
    Just use a hose clamp. It'll be fine. A better question though, why 1/4 beer line? Seems like over kill. And you may have problems getting the system balanced.
  • C_BC_B
    Or what lake said.

Thym
    I don't understand "balanced system." I should read up. I will change the order to 3/16 line. How much should I get? I'm going to put in 5 taps. and the tap will be about 2 feet above the keg. I was going to get 30 feet.
  • ThymThym
    I would buy twice that much line.
  • ThymThym
    I use 10-12 ft of line per tap 3/16. You can go shorter but id rather have a slightly slower pour than run the risk of cups o foam.
    ok good deal
  • ThymThym
    Comparatively i have one tap that has 14 ft of 1/4 line on it.... it pours terrible. Fast and foamy.
    so use 12 feet per tap? or more? and of 3/16"
  • ThymThym

so use 12 feet per tap? or more? and of 3/16"

12 is plenty @ 3/16"
    wow... 30 bucks for 60 feet of hose.
    is there a cheaper place to get it? like lowes?
  • ThymThym

The cheap stuff will leech aromatics into the beer and make it taste bad
    Lakewood said:

depends if you like aromatics or not. haha. alrighty then. I know what to buy now. I'm all set.

30 feet of CO2 line be enough?
    and is there a cheaper place to get that?
  • ThymThym

Lakewood said:

depends if you like aromatics or not. haha. alrighty then. I know what to buy now. I'm all set.

30 feet of CO2 line be enough?

length of CO2 line doesn't matter, just get enough to get from the regulator to the distribution block then from the distro to the kegs. give yourself a little slack so it's easier to attach and detach without pulling on the distro.

• ThymThym

and is there a cheaper place to get that?

not sure, haven't really priced it in a while. it's not really a big ticket item so i just buy it in long runs from the lhbs when i need it... i have like 50 ft of each laying around right now.
    60c a foot? will air compressor hose from lowes work?
  • ThymThym

60c a foot? will air compressor hose from lowes work?

air compressor hose is usually made from rubber... smell it. if it smells like an aroma you want in your beer then go for it..

A. it doesn't need to be high pressure.
    B. any gasses the co2 picks up from the line WILL go directly into your beer.
  • C_BC_B
    I have 12' 3/16 BevLex lines, run my kegerator around 38* and have the regulator set on 13psi. Pours on the slightly slow side. Works pretty well.

I've heard people bitching about BevLex line leeching a plasticy taste into the beer. I haven't had that problem, but I bought Accuflex Barrier Tubing for my next build anyway. Beer line is one place you don't want to cut corners. Although, I got the Accuflex line for $40 for 100' from www.birdmanbrewing.com
  • ThymThym

I have 12' 3/16 BevLex lines, run my kegerator around 38* and have the regulator set on 13psi. Pours on the slightly slow side. Works pretty well.

I've heard people bitching about BevLex line leeching a plasticy taste into the beer. I haven't had that problem, but I bought Accuflex Barrier Tubing for my next build anyway. Beer line is one place you don't want to cut corners. Although, I got the Accuflex line for $40 for 100' from www.birdmanbrewing.com

I had bought some bevlex once.. Ended up returning it due to the flavor they leeched. The lhbs was great they exchanged it for something else... Unfortunately the something else was 1/4 inch.. So istead of tasting like plastic turd water I end up with foam.
    Thanks guys. I placed the order. will document and photograph the build.
  • C_BC_B

Thanks guys. I placed the order. will document and photograph the build.

Sweet.
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    have you considered this stuff:

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=300

from what i've heard you'd need twice the length of regular hose, but it's supposed to never ever pick up flavor or aroma from what's served through it, no matter how long it sits.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • FuzzyFuzzy

whoops, didn't read page 2. i plan on getting some of that stuff when i finally get some extra $$ shanks.
  • C_BC_B

have you considered this stuff:

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=300

from what i've heard you'd need twice the length of regular hose, but it's supposed to never ever pick up flavor or aroma from what's served through it, no matter how long it sits.

So you've heard the same thing about flow then. I feel better about my purchase and impending flow test.

What part of this would benefit you relative to your set up? Do those head heights, pressures and line lengths do anything for you?
    http://www.homebrewforums.net/discussion/375/line-flow-rate-test#Item_14
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    my system is just some kegs in a fridge. taps will go on the door. they'll only be about a foot higher than the keg tops.
  • C_BC_B

my system is just some kegs in a fridge. taps will go on the door. they'll only be about a foot higher than the keg tops.

Cool deal. You should have a good answer then. I really want to try this this week.
  • BenvarineBenvarine
    I bought the accuflex hose, someone here recommended. Good hose, pain in the ass to get on any barb fitting, boiling water, needle nose pliers, burned finger tips, etc, but good seal results from your trouble. I use 8' of hose per tap. The distance is only about 12" from top of keg to tap, maybe a litte longer, so lots of hose to roll up. I get no foam, no off flavors. One issue i have. I have a side by side fridge I drilled for two taps in the door, the accuflex hose is very ridgid, no matter how I try and wrap the hose, it is very stiff, sooooo it pushes the damn door open. I have bunge cord inside the fride to pull the door shut, and that dosen't always work, so I have to jam something between the door handles to keep the door shut. It is hard to explain, but a pain in the ass. I am picking up a chest freezer tomorrow to solve this problem when I build a keezer. In hind sight, for the simple reason of keeping the door shut, I would have used more flexible hose for beer lines. That's my two cents worth of rant, maybe more like $.10.
  • C_BC_B
    The bigger problem for me is that you use less Accuflex than I use Bevlex. For the same head. And now I want to go up a floor. If all else fails I'll use a nitro mix to push...
  • C_BC_B
    And yes that stuff is stiff.
  • ThymThym
    Did you ever run the flow test?
  • C_BC_B
    Nope. I'm a loser. It's on my "list".