Redneck Fermentation Chamber
  • jlwjlw
    I kept getting hung up on having a fermentation chamber as either a converted chest freezer or something permanently built in place. Then I started thinking I don;t believe the chamber needs to be sealed up air tight like a freezer and why not build something I can dismantle when I don't need the chamber. So I thought of this design....

• jlwjlw
    Another pic, from the fridge end
    photo (20).JPG
    640 x 480 - 85K
  • jlwjlw
    Looking inside
    photo (21).JPG
    640 x 480 - 111K
  • jlwjlw
    Really simple and cheap to build. The hard foam was $18 for a whole sheet.

The walls are 30" tall by 36" long. The width is based on the width of the outside edge of the fridge so it is 17" W. The lid is slightly wider but I figured it didn't need to be cut exact since I will tape shut. I sealed the seams up with duct tape. I didn't put a floor in it yet to see how it works with out. If it doesn't work I have one piece that will fit perfect.

Here are all the tools and supplies you need.

photo (25).JPG
    640 x 480 - 190K
  • jlwjlw
    I removed the fridge door and will replace when finished so I can use the fridge for beer.

Close up of tools..
    photo (26).JPG
    640 x 480 - 155K
  • jlwjlw
    If I hadn't been lazy I would have used a different saw but didn't feel like getting the extension cord out and fetch the saw from 50 feet away in the shed.

Also, I use the Ranco digital temp controller to control temps.
  • C_BC_B
    F me. Super genius. I like it. And just the right price too.
    "On it. I hate software." ~Cpt Snarklepants
  • FuzzyFuzzy
    nicely done.
    The pinnacle of lame and awesome in one singular moment. -Lake
  • C_BC_B
    Did you have or buy that fridge?
  • C_BC_B
    BTW, I love your commitment to homebrewing that you put the new ferm chamber in your kid's room.
  • jlwjlw
    The fridge is my mini beer fridge. I just took the door off. When done, I'll put the door back on and return to the beverage fridge.
  • jlwjlw

BTW, I love your commitment to homebrewing that you put the new ferm chamber in your kid's room.

ha ha. It's the spare room well kind of the dogs room.
  • jlwjlw
    I'l also mention this only took about an hour to make.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Well done. Did you tweak the thermostat?
    Also are you having problems with condensation? If so, use more duct tape.
    "I don't have TP, but I do have ammo."
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • C_BC_B

I think he's using a Ranco.
    jlw said:

• jlwjlw

I think he's using a Ranco.
    jlw said:

Using a Johnson controller. I prefer my Ranco. I think there is a problem with the Johnson. When I move the temp cord the numbers go crazy up and down.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

I think there is a problem with the Johnson. When I move the temp cord the numbers go crazy up and down.

That sounds serious.
    The only thing between me and a train wreck is blind luck..... - Kenny
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

I think there is a problem with the Johnson. When I move the temp cord the numbers go crazy up and down.

That sounds serious.

Yeah, I think I will need to take it back when the fermentation is done and exchange.
  • C_BC_B
    Are you using ambient air temp or do you have the probe taped to the vessel or in a cup of water?
  • jlwjlw
    I'm using ambient right now. I need another thermowell so I can get the internal temp of the beer. The controller is set at 62* so I figure the beer is fermenting around 66* to 68*
  • C_BC_B
    I took a couple shop rags and taped them over the probe so the probe was right next to vessel. Not as accurate as a thermowell, but pretty close I think.
  • jlwjlw
    I'll buy another thermowell I think. It wouldn't be a problem but the thermowell is being used in the lager.
  • C_BC_B
    I would like to monitor temps via a thermowell, via my method and via ambient air temp throughout fermentation. Maybe even record them and compare. @Lakewood how easily can this be set up?
  • ThymThym
    You are looking for a cheap data logger. There are diy type solutions but they arent for someone without some experience with software and electronics.
  • C_BC_B
    Sounds like a challenge. Meh.
  • jlwjlw
    Lakewood said:

You are looking for a cheap data logger. There are diy type solutions but they arent for someone without some experience with software and electronics.

You could go all analog and have a digital thermometer for ambient and the temp controller with thermowell and then just write the two temps at defined periods.
  • ThymThym
    jlw said:

Lakewood said:

You could go all analog and have a digital thermometer for ambient and the temp controller with thermowell and then just write the two temps at defined periods.

If you aren't looking for a lot of data, manually writing down temp readings is definitely the least expensive form of data logger... Make sure you calibrate all of your thermometers...
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    Lakewood said:

jlw said:

Lakewood said:

If you aren't looking for a lot of data, manually writing down temp readings is definitely the least expensive form of data logger... Make sure you calibrate all of your thermometers...

ha ha ha, yeah I think writing down numbers is the redneck data logger.
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw
    Update: The chamber does pretty well holding temps around 65-67 degrees. I think the space is too big but I wanted to be able to ferment two beers at a time if needed.

I will either reduce the space or use frozen milk jugs to help keep it cold.
  • ceanntceannt
    Very cool (no pun intended)
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    There seems to be a lack of old tires....
    -Some guy in Ohio
  • jlwjlw
    ceannt said:

Very cool (no pun intended)

I disagree. I believe you did intend the pun.
  • jlwjlw

There seems to be a lack of old tires....

No tires but lots of duct tape.
  • jlwjlw
    Jut though of an idea. All of the walls are moveable. So I think will move the end wall opposite the fridge in tight to the bucket. Close the space down and maybe get better coling efficiency.
  • ceanntceannt
    Make it tall enough to set your fermenter on a drywall bucket ...... make up for the lack of tires .... and keep it off the floor too
    Never attribute to malice, that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
  • JayrizzleJayrizzle
    jlw said:

Jut though of an idea. All of the walls are moveable. So I think will move the end wall opposite the fridge in tight to the bucket. Close the space down and maybe get better coling efficiency.

Tires make a nice tight fit for a fermenter
    -Some guy in Ohio